News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 20 in Iowa

Started by Dougtone, March 20, 2020, 11:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Last June, I had the opportunity to drive US 20 across the State of Iowa. I decided to mix things up, between driving portions of the modern US 20 through the Hawkeye State, which is a four lane divided highway, and some historic sections of US 20 that I've heard a lot of good things about. Who would have thought that there would be so many neat things to see along the way...

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/03/finding-america-on-iowas-us-20.html

nexus73

Seeing some of the hilly areas was the real surprise to me.  The classic downtowns are in excellent condition.  Were there down at the heels places in Iowa? 

When you make it to US 20 in Oregon, the last stretch of 4-lane is a short one by Toledo.  Once past that you get 2-lane road to Newport.  As you close in on this city you will be high enough to see the Pacific Ocean in the distance.  Be ready for the view! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Dougtone

Quote from: nexus73 on March 21, 2020, 12:11:45 AM
Seeing some of the hilly areas was the real surprise to me.  The classic downtowns are in excellent condition.  Were there down at the heels places in Iowa? 

When you make it to US 20 in Oregon, the last stretch of 4-lane is a short one by Toledo.  Once past that you get 2-lane road to Newport.  As you close in on this city you will be high enough to see the Pacific Ocean in the distance.  Be ready for the view! 

Rick

I saw some "down at the heels" places in Iowa, but moreso a few days later during the trip when I passed through Keokuk and Fort Madison.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.