News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Utica NY Road Enthusiast Meet III - New Date: July 18, 2020

Started by baugh17, November 13, 2019, 09:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please select what day(s) would be best to reschedule the Utica meet.

July 11
6 (54.5%)
July 18
10 (90.9%)
July 25
7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 31, 2020, 05:50:57 PM

baugh17

So, we were supposed to have a meet this weekend.  Well, it's not happening for obvious reasons, and probably not a bad thing as it is snowing outside my house as I type this.  Anyways, with New York's reopening plan in place, I'm comfortable enough to say that we will (hopefully) be able to officially reschedule the meet in July.  The only question is when?  So I have added a poll to help me figure out which date of the three Saturdays in July besides the 4th would be best.  The poll will remain open through May 31 with the plan to announce a new date sometime during the first week in June.

Let me know if there are any questions.

vdeane

I'm afraid I have no idea what my July is going to look like as of yet.  I'll know more when I find out if/when we'll have our family picnic this year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Crazily enough, I can most likely actually make this meet now dependent on the restriction of gathering sizes at that point.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

So the poll will be over soon, and I'm still not 100% sure what my July is going to look like.  That said, it sounded like there's a good chance we won't be having a family picnic this year last I heard, so I voted as if that will in fact be the case.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

okroads

At this point, any date in July is fine with me. Not sure if/when I will be making my annual summer trip to Oklahoma City, but that trip usually happens in August anyways.

baugh17

First off, I would like to thank everyone for their feedback on when to reschedule Utica Road Enthusiast Meet III.  After considering where the Mohawk Valley stands with the restart process and the feedback received, I am officially announcing that the meet will be rescheduled for Saturday, July 18.  This will be contingent on if the area continues its progress toward "normalcy".  At this time, the lunch venue will remain at the 72, but will be subject to change depending on what the guidance is like when the meet arrives.  I will continue to monitor the restart in the coming weeks and will let you know if any changes need to be made.

I do understand the concerns that it could be "too early" and not everyone may be willing or able to attend.  This may also be a good opportunity for some to finally "get out".  Either way, I will ask that you use your discretion.  If things worsen and another postponement or cancellation is warranted, I will let you know (Hopefully, it will not go that direction).  If you have any questions, please let me know.

baugh17

Just to let everyone know that I did some scouting around today.  If this happens (and I feel like there's a good chance that it will), it looks like will have a lot in store for July 18.  I'm working on putting together a draft of the itinerary and I hope to share some of the highlights with you in the next week or so.

TonyTrafficLight

I saw possibly going along Rt 46 looking at some of the old canal bridges and such.
Any interest in old traffic signals too? I'm about 10 minutes or so from New London and the old canal
and have a lot of stuff to share if you'd like, plus a bunch of them are from Utica also.
I like signals I guess

https://tonytrafficlight.com

baugh17

Quote from: TonyTrafficLight on June 17, 2020, 10:04:21 AM
I saw possibly going along Rt 46 looking at some of the old canal bridges and such.
Any interest in old traffic signals too? I'm about 10 minutes or so from New London and the old canal
and have a lot of stuff to share if you'd like, plus a bunch of them are from Utica also.

Definitely!  We will be heading in that direction so we can certainly look into that possibility.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

getemngo

This is the spouse's birthday weekend, so I won't be in attendance.
~ Sam from Michigan

baugh17

Hey everyone, I'm not trying to rush things, but I want to start getting an idea of how many people will be attending next month's meet so I can determine what the best option would be for lunch and figure out how the tour will shape up (I will try to have a draft up this weekend).  All options are in play right now and I am continuously monitoring the situation.  Numbers are spiking in parts of the country, but New York (and much of the northeast for that matter) has it to where we are manageable.  And hopefully it stays that way.

That said, in case you are not aware, the governors of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut issued a travel advisory mandating a 14 day quarantine for anyone travelling from states with high infection rates.  Nine states were identified and I don't believe we have any attendees from these states planning to attend (North Carolina is the closest right now).  However, this list is subject to change and if, down the line, your state is added to this list, I will ask that you not attend.  As previously noted, the U.S.-Canada border remains closed to non-essential travel through 7/21 (I've heard that this may have been extended to the end of July).  Ground rules will be ironed out more as we draw closer to the meet date, but you probably have an idea what it'll be.

More details to come.  Questions?  Let me know.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

baugh17

Hey everyone!   We are now two weeks away from the meet.  Nothing has really changed in the past week but I am continuing to monitor the situation with nCoViD-19.

A few announcements/requests...

1. If you haven't already, please declare whether you will be attending or not.  I would like to have a head count by this time next week. 

Also, I will relax the restriction of who can and who can't attend the meet.  However, if you are coming in from out of state, I will ask that you be cognizant of what your state's restrictions are (Ask yourself "Will I have to quarantine afterwards?"). 

2. Facemasks and social distancing will be required at this meet.  As for carpools, I will probably leave it up to you depending on what your comfort level is like.  Ideally, I would like as few cars for the tour as possible, but if one does not wish to carpool out of health concerns, I'm totally understanding of that.  And if you're not feeling well the day of the meet, don't come!

3. Lastly, I did promise a draft itinerary of the meet last weekend...OOPS!  However, I have gone ahead and uploaded it to (NewYorkRoutes.net/misc/uticameet20.docx).  This is still subject to change and I hope to have a final version up the week leading up to the meet.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Alps

Quote from: baugh17 on July 03, 2020, 07:21:25 PM
Hey everyone!   We are now two weeks away from the meet.  Nothing has really changed in the past week but I am continuing to monitor the situation with nCoViD-19.

A few announcements/requests...

1. If you haven't already, please declare whether you will be attending or not.  I would like to have a head count by this time next week. 

Also, I will relax the restriction of who can and who can't attend the meet.  However, if you are coming in from out of state, I will ask that you be cognizant of what your state's restrictions are (Ask yourself "Will I have to quarantine afterwards?"). 

2. Facemasks and social distancing will be required at this meet.  As for carpools, I will probably leave it up to you depending on what your comfort level is like.  Ideally, I would like as few cars for the tour as possible, but if one does not wish to carpool out of health concerns, I'm totally understanding of that. 

3. Lastly, I did promise a draft itinerary of the meet last weekend...OOPS!  However, I have gone ahead and uploaded it to (NewYorkRoutes.net/misc/uticameet20.docx).  This is still subject to change and I hope to have a final version up the week leading up to the meet.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
I will be attending but not carpooling. EDIT: What is the restaurant status, do we bring our own lunch?

baugh17

Quote from: Alps on July 03, 2020, 07:27:25 PM
I will be attending but not carpooling. EDIT: What is the restaurant status, do we bring our own lunch?

I want to see what the headcount looks like first, but I am not ruling out making this a BYOL affair (If others would rather have this as a BYOL affair, let me know).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: baugh17 on July 03, 2020, 07:42:20 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 03, 2020, 07:27:25 PM

I want to see what the headcount looks like first, but I am not ruling out making this a BYOL affair (If others would rather have this as a BYOL affair, let me know).

I'd rather wear a mask and figure out any Syracuse supermarket (Syracuse is where I'm schedule to stay Friday night) and pick up lunch for an Utica picnic than to eat in a enclosed restaurant. '72 Bar & Grill' doesn't appear to have a patio, so instead of having you locate a different restaurant, I'd rather just meet at a park instead.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cl94

I'm all for meeting at a park with takeout food. I'm not horribly keen on eating indoors at a restaurant right now.

Re: carpooling, I wouldn't be, partially because I will likely bounce after the downtown part of the meet.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

baugh17

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 03, 2020, 10:38:20 PM
I'd rather wear a mask and figure out any Syracuse supermarket (Syracuse is where I'm schedule to stay Friday night) and pick up lunch for an Utica picnic than to eat in a enclosed restaurant. '72 Bar & Grill' doesn't appear to have a patio, so instead of having you locate a different restaurant, I'd rather just meet at a park instead.

Well, Wegmans would certainly be an option for you, although I'm not sure what all (if any) of their Market Cafe options have reopened.

Based on some of the feedback that I have gotten so far and the anticipated headcount being at least in the 10-15 range, I am beginning to feel more inclined to making this a BYOL/picnic affair and I'm looking into possible locations (I'll probably make a call on this by next weekend).

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

froggie

^ Utica is in a region where gatherings up to 50 are allowed.

As of last week, visitors to New York from the following states are required to quarantine:

Alabama
    Arkansas
    Arizona
    California
    Florida
    Georgia
    Iowa
    Idaho
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Nevada
    North Carolina
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah

oscar

Quote from: froggie on July 04, 2020, 10:31:24 AM
As of last week, visitors to New York from the following states are required to quarantine:

Alabama
    Arkansas
    Arizona
    California
    Florida
    Georgia
    Iowa
    Idaho
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Nevada
    North Carolina
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah

Does that include visitors who don't live in, but have recently traveled in, those states? I've been to eleven of those states in the past two weeks, and expect to pick up another on my way home.

My interest in the meet is borderline, even if that's not an issue.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

74/171FAN

I do not think I can make a final decision until I am certain that PA does not make it on that list.  Case numbers around Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and Philadelphia have me concerned right now. 

I most likely would not carpool if I attend either, and I am definitely for taking out food to a park.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

Quote from: oscarDoes that include visitors who don't live in, but have recently traveled in, those states? I've been to eleven of those states in the past two weeks, and expect to pick up another on my way home.

Quote from: NYS COVID-19 Travel Advisory
If you have traveled from within one of the designated states with significant community spread, you must quarantine when you enter New York for 14 days from the last travel within such designated state, provided on the date you enter into New York State that such state met the criteria for requiring such quarantine.

The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel.

Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

cu2010

Assuming nothing changes with regards to my work schedule (which it shouldn't), I'll be there. I too would prefer a BYOL affair somewhere outdoors (has 72 Tavern and Grill even reopened for indoor dining? Google says it's "temporarily closed") Been meaning to attend one of these forever. I'm only three hours away, so I'll probably just make it a day trip.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

hbelkins

Quote from: baugh17 on July 03, 2020, 07:21:25 PM

2. Facemasks and social distancing will be required at this meet.  As for carpools, I will probably leave it up to you depending on what your comfort level is like.  Ideally, I would like as few cars for the tour as possible, but if one does not wish to carpool out of health concerns, I'm totally understanding of that.  And if you're not feeling well the day of the meet, don't come!

Hypothetical here. If someone did attend but did not wear a mask, what would happen?

Also, it's impossible to physically distance (I hate the term "social distance") in a vehicle, so distancing and no carpooling are mutually exclusive.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.