News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Utica NY Road Enthusiast Meet III - New Date: July 18, 2020

Started by baugh17, November 13, 2019, 09:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please select what day(s) would be best to reschedule the Utica meet.

July 11
6 (54.5%)
July 18
10 (90.9%)
July 25
7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 31, 2020, 05:50:57 PM

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on July 04, 2020, 03:31:34 PM
Hypothetical here. If someone did attend but did not wear a mask, what would happen?

Have fun entering any store or staying at a hotel in this state without a mask. Many stores have someone at the door enforcing mask rules.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: baugh17 on July 03, 2020, 07:21:25 PM

2. Facemasks and social distancing will be required at this meet.  As for carpools, I will probably leave it up to you depending on what your comfort level is like.  Ideally, I would like as few cars for the tour as possible, but if one does not wish to carpool out of health concerns, I'm totally understanding of that.  And if you're not feeling well the day of the meet, don't come!

Hypothetical here. If someone did attend but did not wear a mask, what would happen?

Also, it's impossible to physically distance (I hate the term "social distance") in a vehicle, so distancing and no carpooling are mutually exclusive.
That person would be told to leave.

vdeane

Another idea: this being Utica, perhaps a bunch of us could chip in for tomato pie?

Regarding Wegmans, booths like the pizza and subs are open (it even appears that seating is available), though I don't recall seeing any of the self-serve options at either Wegmans that I've been to recently (but then, I wasn't specifically looking for them, either).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

2. Facemasks and social distancing will be required at this meet.  As for carpools, I will probably leave it up to you depending on what your comfort level is like.  Ideally, I would like as few cars for the tour as possible, but if one does not wish to carpool out of health concerns, I'm totally understanding of that.  And if you're not feeling well the day of the meet, don't come!

Don't be that person.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

cu2010

Being less familiar with the area, anyone know any good places for takeout along the NY12 corridor north of Utica? I'd rather pick something up along the way than drive aimlessly looking for food around Utica, but there isn't much between Lowville and Utica (or at least I don't remember there being much, it's been a while since I've been out that way)...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

cl94

Really isn't a ton other than Boonville.

I'll probably be grabbing something near Exit 31 myself. That's probably your best bet for food.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

baugh17

Also, it's impossible to physically distance (I hate the term "social distance") in a vehicle, so distancing and no carpooling are mutually exclusive.

The official order in New York is that a facemask is required when social distancing is not possible.  If anyone wanted to carpool, then facemasks would be in order.  And if someone shows up without a mask, they would either need to find one or be excused.

baugh17

Quote from: cl94 on July 04, 2020, 07:45:40 PM
Really isn't a ton other than Boonville.

I'll probably be grabbing something near Exit 31 myself. That's probably your best bet for food.

Along N. Genesee St. and by North Utica Shopping Center, you have your usual chains as well as some local places.  If you have time to kill prior to the meet, there are more options along NY 5A...Oriskany Blvd. through Yorkville and Commercial Dr. to New Hartford.

I'll probably be able to give you a better idea once I settle on a gathering place for lunch.

Dougtone

I plan on attending for lunch and the first part of the meet tour. I am in favor of meeting outdoors and bringing my own lunch. I'm also interested in being part of a group that gets Utica oriented cuisine (think chicken riggies, Utica greens, tomato pie, half moon cookies). I sometimes will pick up riggies from Tony's Pizzeria on Burrstone Road to take home with me, so I'll probably just go there for food in that case.

vdeane

For what it's worth, NYSDOT's own vehicle policy is to not carpool where possible, or to have two people max (one in front, one in back) wearing masks, if that helps anyone decide whether to carpool on the tour or not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

baugh17

So given the general consensus is to have lunch at an outdoor venue, I will scout out some potential places during the next week and will have a new gathering location determined by next weekend (I have been brainstorming some possibilities over the last few weeks).

oscar

FWIW (not that it necessarily solves your problem), I've found just about every truck stop/travel center is selling masks, especially in states that have mask requirements but even in some that don't. And I bought a box of disposable masks at a Walmart in the mask-mandate Las Vegas area, just in case (a local Walgreen's also was selling masks in bulk).

Quote from: froggie on July 04, 2020, 10:46:15 AM
Quote from: oscarDoes that include visitors who don't live in, but have recently traveled in, those states? I've been to eleven of those states in the past two weeks, and expect to pick up another on my way home.

Quote from: NYS COVID-19 Travel Advisory
If you have traveled from within one of the designated states with significant community spread, you must quarantine when you enter New York for 14 days from the last travel within such designated state, provided on the date you enter into New York State that such state met the criteria for requiring such quarantine.

The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel.

Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

Thanks. I'll have to go through the travel advisory with a fine-tooth comb, and size up my situation, once I'm back home next week. My second overnight stay in Utah, which ended when I crossed into Wyoming this morning (14 days before this meet), might be the killer for me. Maybe Steve's Morris County meet would work better for me.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

A.J. Bertin

If lunch ends up being a BYOL affair (which, it sounds like it will be), I will either look into the possibility of getting takeout from 72 Tavern & Grill (the original restaurant of choice), or I will do what I often do and consult TripAdvisor in search of a good local restaurant where I can grab takeout and go to whichever park Mark chooses for us to gather in.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Don't worry, I have no plans to attend. Don't have the funds and don't trust my vehicle to make such a long drive. But I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone ever being turned away from a meet before. If that's the precedent that is to be set, then don't be surprised when other criteria are placed upon attendance at future meets.

FWIW, I have masks. Was given a few at work, and my wife made me a Grumpy Cat mask.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Was I the only one who even brang a mask (a bandana in this case) to the Cincinnati meet? I didn't wear it up over my face though.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on July 05, 2020, 10:03:03 PM
Don't worry, I have no plans to attend. Don't have the funds and don't trust my vehicle to make such a long drive. But I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone ever being turned away from a meet before. If that's the precedent that is to be set, then don't be surprised when other criteria are placed upon attendance at future meets.

FWIW, I have masks. Was given a few at work, and my wife made me a Grumpy Cat mask.
So that time when there was a Cincinnati meet and MTR intentionally hid the location from Tim doesn't count?

cl94

I think that most of us would agree that "respondents must obey all state and local laws during the course of the meet" is a reasonable requirement for attendance.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on July 05, 2020, 10:42:20 PM

I think that most of us would agree that "respondents must obey all state and local laws during the course of the meet" is a reasonable requirement for attendance.

What is the New York law? Has the legislature, or the elected governing body in Utica, passed anything? Or is there merely an executive order in New York requiring them? (Which is more like a suggestion than anything else; Kentucky's governor issued a mask order several weeks ago but admitted that it was not enforceable.)

And by that reasoning, you've just dictated that the tour cannot exceed any posted speed limits.  :-D Pretty sure I broke that requirement when I led a tour at 75 mph on an interstate posted for 70.

Quote from: Alps on July 05, 2020, 10:38:17 PM

So that time when there was a Cincinnati meet and MTR intentionally hid the location from Tim doesn't count?

You'd have to take that up with the meet organizers. There were two Cincinnati meets back in the MTR days, one at Rookwood Pottery and one across the river, and I think each had a different organizer. IIRC, they were also posted to various Yahoo groups where he had access to them.

I'm not trying to hijack Mark's meet thread, but I'm just saying that I would leave mask wearing decisions up to the attendees, based on their own consciences and knowledge and beliefs, and not require them as a condition of attendance or participation. It's probably more prudent to require meet attendees who venture onto construction sites to wear hi-viz clothing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

The NY order is enforceable and several police departments are enforcing it. Additionally, many businesses are actively removing customers who attempt to enter without a mask. So unless people plan to sleep in their cars and never enter a building...

roadwaywiz95

HB, if you're not even going, then why do you care so much about the rules we're following? Host your own damn meet so you can set your own ground rules if it matters that much to you.
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Dougtone

Quote from: cu2010 on July 04, 2020, 07:32:12 PM
Being less familiar with the area, anyone know any good places for takeout along the NY12 corridor north of Utica? I'd rather pick something up along the way than drive aimlessly looking for food around Utica, but there isn't much between Lowville and Utica (or at least I don't remember there being much, it's been a while since I've been out that way)...

Kayuta Drive-In (I've stopped by there a few times myself), but that's on NY 12/NY 28 in Alder Creek. A few convenience stores. Fast food in Boonville. Otherwise, not much until you get into North Utica.

Dougtone

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 05, 2020, 07:56:04 PM
If lunch ends up being a BYOL affair (which, it sounds like it will be), I will either look into the possibility of getting takeout from 72 Tavern & Grill (the original restaurant of choice), or I will do what I often do and consult TripAdvisor in search of a good local restaurant where I can grab takeout and go to whichever park Mark chooses for us to gather in.

A few of us were looking at possibly ordering chicken riggies and Utica greens from https://www.jonnyspizzautica.com/, so that's another option for you.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Dougtone on July 06, 2020, 06:07:14 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 05, 2020, 07:56:04 PM

A few of us were looking at possibly ordering chicken riggies and Utica greens from https://www.jonnyspizzautica.com/, so that's another option for you.

Thanks for the tip!  I took a look at their menu online.  They seem to have a good selection of options. 
-A.J. from Michigan

baugh17

I did a little scouting on the way home from work this afternoon and have decided we will hold the lunch portion of the meet at F.T. Proctor Park in Utica, about a half mile from NY 5S, and this will now officially be a "BYOL" affair.  Some have talked about getting takeout at a couple of different local places nearby.  There aren't a ton of options in the immediate vicinity, but there are a number of options, primarily along N. Genesee St. between the Thruway and downtown, along Oriskany Blvd. (NY 5A) in Yorkville, and Commercial Dr. (NY 5A) and Seneca Tpke. (NY 5) in New Hartford.  If there is something specific you are looking for, let me know.

baugh17

Good morning, everyone.  One of the things I've been thinking about the last few days since posting the itinerary is how are we going to pull this off with 15-20 attendees with little to no carpooling due to nCoViD-19.  There are two or three ideas that I've been playing through in my head, but there's one in particular that I want to get your thoughts on.  For those of you who attended the Providence, RI meet that A.J. Bertin hosted a little over a year ago, it was "city meet" format which, long story short, is more of a create your own tour, go at your own pace meet.  So, instead of having the traditional tour with a convoy of a dozen-plus cars, we would break up after lunch and do whatever we wanted.  That may mean following the original plan, checking other things out in the area (route clinches, photo ops), what have you.  There are a number things that were a part of the 2015 meet and also perhaps non-road interests that are out there.  Before I start to put together a final plan, I wanted to see what your thoughts are on this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.