News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 03:00:09 PM
Quote from: bing101 on Today at 11:41:27 AMHmm that proposed tower in Oklahoma City could have been in places like Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin and would have fit right in  the skylines of those cities given how much those places are currently fighting to attract companies to have Downtown offices in those places.

Fitting right in is a bug, not a feature. The big fish in Oklahoma City's small pond are treated very well.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on Today at 04:00:12 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 03:53:32 AMI bet if you created a YouTube clone that paid a higher percentage of ad revenue to uploaders and wasn't so fascist about demonetizing videos, you could get enough of the big name creators to jump ship that YouTube would go under.
I feel the need to mention Kick, which is more of an alternative to Twitch, being a racist hellhole because of its lax moderation. Not that lax moderation is bad, but there is a need for a middle ground between being lax and fascism, and as a result the alternatives that pop up don't get far because of that.

Of course. I would think that anything bigoted or illegal would still get demonetized or taken down, but you could probably afford to lighten up on things like sexual content. (The way that many of the big social media sites operate lately reminds me a lot of the ridiculous reaction to Janet Jackson's Super Bowl act. Most of this is because Apple is run by losers.)
Southeast / Re: North Carolina
Last post by RoadPelican - Today at 02:55:21 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 02, 2024, 03:37:32 PMHow much of a per gallon tax hike would the state need to at least stop falling behind on their stip?

Not sure about gas tax hikes.  However, DMV Fees in NC are going up by a lot starting July 1st, annual vehicle registration fees are going from $38 to $46. NC DMV Fees go up every 4 years and the increase is tied to inflation, hence the steep $8 increase! This will hopefully help get more money to fund the STIP. Also, anytime you pay sales tax at an Auto Parts Store or Oil Change-Service Shop that money is now going to the STIP, (State Legislature passed this a couple years ago)
Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 02:48:54 PM
How exactly do you remove a gravel road when the unimproved ground surface in an area is basically gravel? It seems like, short of running a barrier of some kind over it, it would be pretty difficult to avoid people making their own RIRO access point if they really wanted one there.
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 02:46:20 PM
Partly sunny and 57.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by CtrlAltDel - Today at 01:23:26 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on Today at 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 09:42:49 AMAirbnb cleaning fees.

I'm ok with this one, within reason.  Some people are slobs and leave houses in atrocious condition. Other fees are just add-ons for no reason other than pure profit.

I'm not. It's part of the cost of doing business and should be wrapped into the regular rate.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by roadfro - Today at 12:48:47 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on Today at 11:53:11 AM
Quote from: pderocco on May 03, 2024, 12:36:08 AM
Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2024, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2024, 05:17:48 PMany reason why 11 doesn't end at exit 99 on us 95?

At-grade just north of Kyle Canyon Road. Ends at the last interchange before the at-grade.
I don't see any at-grade intersection in Google Earth. But past Kyle Canyon Rd it's certainly not up to Interstate standards. The inner shoulders are unpaved.

But it makes sense to end the I-11 designation at an interchange with a state highway, rather than a golf course driveway.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/d6jkdkqMsYmrXQhA8?g_st=ic

Found it in GSV. Coordinates 36.3359889, -115.3209178 just north of Kyle Canyon Rd interchange

Even is signed with a "one way" sign after the crossover on 95NB

Thru Moccasin Rd traffic can use this crossover, even tho it is gravel for the "gap" between paved Moccasin Rd on either side of 95, tho a "Do Not Enter" sign is posted on the east side of the 95NB lanes at the crossover. No such signage on the west side of the 95SB lanes. And the typical "Yield" and "One Way" signage at the median crossover
Despite all the times I've passed this spot, I've never taken notice of this aspect. 

Moccasin forms the northern boundary of the City of Las Vegas and the southern boundary of the Las Vegas Paiute Reservation, so the crossover is likely there to allow authorized vehicles (e.g. tribal police) to turn around at the jurisdictional boundary. However, it is not marked as a typical authorized vehicle only crossover (e.g. no U-turn signs, black and blue markers, etc.) and has the standard signage meant for a local access point. It's also worth noting there doesn't appear to be a similar turnaround at the northern boundary of the reservation. But that gravel really just makes it seem like this is an official access to Moccasin.

It does look like there was, at one time, more official access to the west from the southbound lanes, because you can clearly see a paved apron area that is no longer maintained (Street View). I'm guessing this may have been meant as access to western Moccasin (or the power line corridor that runs along it) a long time ago, but frontage road construction may have made that need for access moot. NDOT seems to at least tolerate the existing unofficial access off the frontage roads at Moccasin, because they didn't maintain right-of-way fencing into the reservation land on either side of US 95. But they've done nothing to facilitate that access either, cause otherwise there would likely be signage and more formal access and/or turning lanes.
MDOT has reduced the number of lanes on the project.

www.Michigan.gov/I375
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by jeffandnicole - Today at 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 09:42:49 AMAirbnb cleaning fees.

I'm ok with this one, within reason.  Some people are slobs and leave houses in atrocious condition. Other fees are just add-ons for no reason other than pure profit.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Westside Parkway & Centenn...
Last post by roadfro - Today at 12:21:26 PM
Quote from: FredAkbar on May 03, 2024, 07:06:29 PM
Quote from: roadfro on May 02, 2024, 12:09:08 PMI was able to stay on EB 99 just fine...

Now that would require some signage :p
Whoops... Edited original post.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.