News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: kphoger on August 14, 2020, 10:40:52 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 13, 2020, 09:02:55 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2020, 01:35:59 PM

Quote from: Jacob on August 12, 2020, 01:26:49 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 12, 2020, 11:46:26 AM

Quote from: US71 on August 09, 2020, 08:30:09 PM

Quote from: Jacob on August 09, 2020, 08:06:22 PM
I picked up this very rare Illinois state named Interstate 80 shield off of Facebook Marketplace today.

State Named, too :)

Plus it has the state name on there, so double bonus!

That's the reason I bought it. Very hard to find Illinois state named shields anywhere.

And it has the state name, too! Win-win!

Not only that but it's massive, 36x36 inches. The only thing I'm dissapointed in is I can't seem to find a date stamp/marking on the back ☹️

Fixed your quote string.

Thanks, I didn't even notice 😂

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a rare bird in the form of a US Route 312 shield:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

cjk374

That is a rare bird...and nicely weathered too! 👍👍
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

spitball

I had to Wiki US 312; that's a great find!

I've expanded my New Jersey collection recently with some help from Jake B, who posted this circa 1960 23" US 46 / JCT pair a long time ago in the Facebook Historic Road Signs group.  By the time I saw it over a year later, I figured some other collector had gotten it, but luckily it was still in his shed somewhere, so we did a trade/purchase.  This is the road I learned to drive on, and I have not seen a green-period NJ shield for sale ever before, so I was delighted to bring this set home:

More recently, I stumbled across this early '50s 18" cast aluminum NJ-69 shield; one of the more stolen routes known.  NJ-69 only existed under that number for 14 years, but spanned three shield specifications;  cast aluminum like mine, then a green flat circle (same period as the US shield above), then the white circle on black square until 1967, when the route was re-designated as NJ-31.

Max Rockatansky

Fresh arrival in the form of an oversized (probably 1970s era) CA 163 shield.  This one is notable given CA 163's association with the Cabrillo Freeway and US 395:

ClassicHasClass

Jelly. Always wanted a 163.

Scott5114

You think this guy knows how lucky he is to have this?

(It's kind of hard to see in Street View, but that's a legitimate BGS-mount US 66! Been stuck to the front of that hangar since at least 1996 or so; I remember seeing it as a kid.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 14, 2020, 09:39:58 PM
You think this guy knows how lucky he is to have this?

(It's kind of hard to see in Street View, but that's a legitimate BGS-mount US 66! Been stuck to the front of that hangar since at least 1996 or so; I remember seeing it as a kid.)

Probably not, because if he did it would be kept inside. 

kendancy66

When I was moving west to CA in 2003, I passed through Albuquerque on I-40.  There was still a BGS there that still had a US-66 shield.

ozarkman417

This is the first sign I've collected. I received this nearly 200 dollar sign for my birthday. It is an old 1950s MO secondary route shield. It almost looks like paper, but it is a square foot of worn sheet metal. It was bought off EBay.

SM-G965U

US71

I picked up an AZ a few years back.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

I added this last week:

kphoger

Wow, I guess those US-666 signs stay in good shape when they get stolen eleven days after being installed...   :spin:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on October 08, 2020, 09:47:09 AM
Wow, I guess those US-666 signs stay in good shape when they get stolen eleven days after being installed...   :spin:

Mine is actually a replica

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on October 08, 2020, 09:49:54 AM
Quote from: kphoger on October 08, 2020, 09:47:09 AM

Mine is actually a replica

I have a steel replica myself which has gotten a couple dings in two cross country moves:

https://flic.kr/p/SxYTqY

The problem with real US 666 shields is two fold; the almost certainly are stolen property, and people way too much for them.  I'm not comfortable buying something I think was probably stolen (which I'm sure happens more than I would like) but I'm not also paying a fortune either.  If I can get a real US 312 for $29.99 then I'd be a fool to pay something stupid like $600 dollars some people want for a real US 666 shield.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up three replica Jake shields; CA 190, CA 440, and CA 740:

The CA 440 and CA 740 shields are mock ups of what they would have looked like had they actually been field signed.  Both routes existed briefly in 1934 before being replaced by the second CA 44 and an extended CA 74.

US71

Jacob

Here's my latest acquisition: An Illinois state named Interstate 90 sign. A huge thanks goes to Jake Bear for finding this sign and selling it to me. I believe this one was posted somewhere in Chicago due to the writing on the back.

28161A45-29D6-44BE-98B4-7A2879043730 by jdenk82203, on Flickr

42363C6F-44AB-41F5-9B7F-9308C5BD7686 by jdenk82203, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Fresh sign haul from a scrap store on eBay.

CA 2

CA 57

CA 71

SoDakInterstateEnthusiast

I'm not sure if this counts, but recently I purchased a state name South Dakota I-29 shield from one of those sites where it's a sign generator and then there's the option to buy it (it's actually really good, correct thickness, reflective sheeting specs, etc.) but since it wasn't an actual sign used on the highway I doubt it counts. :\

However, there's a good chance I might have a SD-10 shield in a little bit. They had detour signs up due to bridge work going on on the stretch immediately west of US-281, but I guess somehow one of the posts snapped and the sign fell over, and the construction's been done for a while now, so it seems they've forgotten about them. I guess I don't know how the DOT works as far as when they pick up their signs after a construction project and stuff like that, but it's been over a month so...

Obviously I'll look into it more and make sure whatever I do isn't... illegal... but we'll see.

I don't really collect because I don't have any room to put them, but I compromise by drawing smaller, scale models instead. If I were to collect, it would probably be for aesthetic pleasure to have them hanging on a wall somewhere rather than the historical stuff behind it or whatever, but that's just me.
"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

ozarkman417

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on November 17, 2020, 12:44:38 PM
I'm not sure if this counts, but recently I purchased a state name South Dakota I-29 shield from one of those sites where it's a sign generator and then there's the option to buy it (it's actually really good, correct thickness, reflective sheeting specs, etc.) but since it wasn't an actual sign used on the highway I doubt it counts. :\

However, there's a good chance I might have a SD-10 shield in a little bit. They had detour signs up due to bridge work going on on the stretch immediately west of US-281, but I guess somehow one of the posts snapped and the sign fell over, and the construction's been done for a while now, so it seems they've forgotten about them. I guess I don't know how the DOT works as far as when they pick up their signs after a construction project and stuff like that, but it's been over a month so...

Obviously I'll look into it more and make sure whatever I do isn't... illegal... but we'll see.

I don't really collect because I don't have any room to put them, but I compromise by drawing smaller, scale models instead. If I were to collect, it would probably be for aesthetic pleasure to have them hanging on a wall somewhere rather than the historical stuff behind it or whatever, but that's just me.
I have one from a shield generator, as well. Some of the signs shown above are replicas, so I would say it counts.

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 17, 2020, 12:55:52 PM
Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on November 17, 2020, 12:44:38 PM

I have one from a shield generator, as well. Some of the signs shown above are replicas, so I would say it counts.

FWIW, there was someone on e-bay a month ago selling small route signs. Around $30 for 12 inches.

Scott5114

Every time I clinched a route, I used to print off a 6" route shield, using the Wikipedia graphics. Then I pasted it to corrugated cardboard and hung that up on the wall.

Eventually I got tired of doing it, but it did make clinching a route more exciting knowing it'd get to go up on the wall when I got home. And it led to me going out of the way to clinch stuff in other states to add some variety to the collection.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CA 24 shield, this one is reflective paint with vinyl numerals:

Max Rockatansky

Picked up an unused and apparently run over CA 227:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.