News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

Quote from: doorknob60 on May 10, 2019, 04:16:33 PM

There hasn't been any serious discussions of any other freeways around Boise, besides the ID-16 freeway that's already partially constructed and the rest is in planning stages. People throw out the idea of a southern bypass, but I don't think that is likely in my lifetime, never heard an official agency so much as mention it. It would be quite expensive, and I don't think it would be a huge benefit, primarily only serving through traffic (which is a valid, but it's not a big percentage of traffic).

There is one generally sketched out on ACHD's Master Street Map (based on the COMPASS model) along Kuna-Mora Rd, but yes, it's never actually going to happen.

https://www.achdidaho.org/Documents/Engineering/Etrakit/FunctionalClassMap2040.pdf

sparker

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on May 10, 2019, 06:53:52 PM
Random, stupid, useless musing: Why not go ahead and co-sign I-11 on I-40 for the 93 segment?

Question:  are there currently any "Future I-11 signs along the coincidental I-40/US 93 segment?  If there aren't even those, chances are that ADOT wouldn't even entertain the notion of actual reassurance signage until at least the Kingman Bypass is completed and carrying traffic. 

sprjus4

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on May 10, 2019, 06:53:52 PM
Random, stupid, useless musing: Why not go ahead and co-sign I-11 on I-40 for the 93 segment?
That's not the current plan? Anyone with a brain would see that's the best routing to go. I was always under the assumption that was the proposal, just follow US-93 including the I-40 overlap. Works fine today, would work fine in the future. Maybe widen I-40 to 3 lanes if needed, but far less cheaper and far less impacts then a whole new alignment.

The Ghostbuster

We'll find out exactly what happens when the time comes. Until then, we can only speculate.

sprjus4

I now see the comment was referring to sign-posting I-11 on the existing interstate portion. I thought it was referring to some plan to construct I-11 on new alignment near I-40, and questioning why not just use the existing I-40.

Apologize about the misreading.

sparker

ADOT has already improved US 93 up to within a couple of miles of I-40 with Interstate-spec carriageway geometry; at this point duplicating that effort would be pointless.  The existing interchange will require upgrades or replacement, but otherwise there will definitely be a I-11/40 multiplex. 

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: sparker on May 11, 2019, 06:21:49 PM
ADOT has already improved US 93 up to within a couple of miles of I-40 with Interstate-spec carriageway geometry; at this point duplicating that effort would be pointless.  The existing interchange will require upgrades or replacement, but otherwise there will definitely be a I-11/40 multiplex.

The only new road north of Wickenburg that I'm aware of, other than rebuilding that 40/93 interchange, are bypasses around Kingman and Wickieup.  How they're going to connect it to the current 93 to Vegas is beyond me.  I assume it'll be somewhere just before Coyote Pass and the AZ 68 interchange.

Beyond that, I-11 will directly replace US 93 between the Nevada state line and just north of Wickenburg.

They're finally beginning construction on the remaining two-lane sections of 93 between the I-40 interchange and Wickieup.  Once that's finished, 93 will be divided highway between about 1/2 mile south of I-40 and the Joshua Tree area north of Wickenburg (no idea when that section will be built), except for in Wickieup itself.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

rte66man

It's unfortunate that AZDOT's links for the US93/I40 interchange are no longer working.  IIRC, Sparker is correct in that the Preferred Alternative was to swing US93 north just west of the existing interchange and have it rejoin the existing road just north of the commercial development area. 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Avalanchez71

Let me guess they will axe US 93 once the I-11 pork boondoggle project is completed.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rte66man on May 12, 2019, 12:49:23 PM
It's unfortunate that AZDOT's links for the US93/I40 interchange are no longer working.  IIRC, Sparker is correct in that the Preferred Alternative was to swing US93 north just west of the existing interchange and have it rejoin the existing road just north of the commercial development area.

The terrain on US 93 on Beale Street poses a significant challenge in addition it would require massive eminent domain. To the west there is somewhat clear path in Golden Valley through a thinly inhabited area.  Back when I-11 was first being proposed this was the preferred route and I'd imagine it still is due to the cost savings. 

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 12, 2019, 12:52:05 PM
Let me guess they will axe US 93 once the I-11 pork boondoggle project is completed.
How is this a "pork boondoggle project"? It's constructing interstate highway for a long distance paralleling a 2 lane road between I-80 and Vegas, and connecting Phoenix and Las Vegas, two major metros not linked via an interstate, and parts of US-93 down that way still have 2-lanes. Also links I-40 traffic with Las Vegas which doesn't have an interstate connection.

Are you just against any new interstate highways or any freeway for that matter being constructed anywhere?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 12, 2019, 02:41:28 PM
How is this a "pork boondoggle project"? It's constructing interstate highway for a long distance paralleling a 2 lane road between I-80 and Vegas, and connecting Phoenix and Las Vegas, two major metros not linked via an interstate, and parts of US-93 down that way still have 2-lanes. Also links I-40 traffic with Las Vegas which doesn't have an interstate connection.

Are you just against any new interstate highways or any freeway for that matter being constructed anywhere?

Yes, he is.

He'd turn all Interstates back into 2-lane roads because "sufficient".

sprjus4

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 12, 2019, 03:19:31 PM
Yes, he is.

He'd turn all Interstates back into 2-lane roads because "sufficient".
If he's calling this a boondoggle, we might as well demolish the entire system because it's all a "boondoggle".  :rolleyes: :no:

sparker

Rather than comment on his editorialization -- A71 is probably correct in his assumption that US 93 will be truncated -- likely at the north I-15/US 93 interchange NE of Vegas.  Since ADOT never requested that US 93 multiplex with US 60 into central Phoenix (like AZ 93 before it), there's no particular need to maintain its presence south of NV. 

Alternate thought (verging on fictional):  If indeed I-11 subsumes much if not all of US 95 south of Fallon, NV, it might be appropriate to truncate US 95 in Fallon, and reroute US 93 down the southern independent section of US 95 through Needles, Blythe, and Yuma (with the requisite renumbering of AZ 195 to 193).   

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on May 12, 2019, 04:26:18 PM

Rather than comment on his editorialization -- A71 is probably correct in his assumption that US 93 will be truncated -- likely at the north I-15/US 93 interchange NE of Vegas.  Since ADOT never requested that US 93 multiplex with US 60 into central Phoenix (like AZ 93 before it), there's no particular need to maintain its presence south of NV. 

Alternate thought (verging on fictional):  If indeed I-11 subsumes much if not all of US 95 south of Fallon, NV, it might be appropriate to truncate US 95 in Fallon, and reroute US 93 down the southern independent section of US 95 through Needles, Blythe, and Yuma (with the requisite renumbering of AZ 195 to 193).   

Hell if they was the case I'd rather have a US Route on AZ 95 or a combo of AZ 95 and CA 62.  The latter would be better to minimize some of the Interstate multiplex US 95 does with I-10. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2019, 04:36:41 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 12, 2019, 04:26:18 PM

Hell if they was the case I'd rather have a US Route on AZ 95 or a combo of AZ 95 and CA 62.  The latter would be better to minimize some of the Interstate multiplex US 95 does with I-10. 

That would work as well; and would probably divert some traffic to the Parker area; could bring a bit more business to the Big River recreational area.  Just extend CA 78 up over current US 95 from I-10 to Vidal Junction.  And it could conceivably solve the issue of having multiple "95" routes on both sides of the river. 

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2019, 01:53:29 PM

The terrain on US 93 on Beale Street poses a significant challenge in addition it would require massive eminent domain. To the west there is somewhat clear path in Golden Valley through a thinly inhabited area.  Back when I-11 was first being proposed this was the preferred route and I'd imagine it still is due to the cost savings.

Well, you have the elevation issue, where AZ 68 drops several hundred feet immediately after the interchange with 93.  Looks like I-11 would have to be routed from the current 93, a couple miles north of 68, build a new interchange with 68 in the middle of Golden Valley, then route it along Prescription Rd. to the current exit with it and old 66 at I-40.

Given the demographics of Golden Valley, I can't see this happening without a court fight at best, and shots being fired at worst.  From my few experiences with the area on my trips to Laughlin, this does not seem to be a particularly nice town, and their residents won't be messed with without a fight.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

sparker

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on May 12, 2019, 08:21:05 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2019, 01:53:29 PM

Well, you have the elevation issue, where AZ 68 drops several hundred feet immediately after the interchange with 93.  Looks like I-11 would have to be routed from the current 93, a couple miles north of 68, build a new interchange with 68 in the middle of Golden Valley, then route it along Prescription Rd. to the current exit with it and old 66 at I-40.

Given the demographics of Golden Valley, I can't see this happening without a court fight at best, and shots being fired at worst.  From my few experiences with the area on my trips to Laughlin, this does not seem to be a particularly nice town, and their residents won't be messed with without a fight.

ADOT just spent millions on the new inbound truck inspection facility at the US 93/AZ 68 interchange; it's almost a certainty that any of the Kingman bypass options would diverge from 93 south of that facility.  Going back a way upthread (reply #780) there's a map of the considered alternatives; apparently they've discarded anything right down US 93 into town -- or east of there -- and have concentrated on options "A", "B", and "G", which skirt the east side of the Central Mountains west of downtown; the difference between the options is primarily just where the I-40 interchange will be located.  My guess is that it'll come down to A or B. 

splashflash

The only report left to download that I can see is the Final Feasibility report.  It pops up at:

https://www.azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/i-40-us-93-system-traffic-interchange-design-concept-and-environmental-studies

That study is dated October 2009.

From the 2013 meeting minutes it seems that option D3 is preferred and a sketch of the $86 million interchange can be found at http://www.epsgroupinc.com/projects/40us-93-west-kingman-ti-dcr-pel/

sparker

Quote from: splashflash on May 13, 2019, 12:26:27 AM

The only report left to download that I can see is the Final Feasibility report.  It pops up at:

https://www.azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/i-40-us-93-system-traffic-interchange-design-concept-and-environmental-studies

That study is dated October 2009.

From the 2013 meeting minutes it seems that option D3 is preferred and a sketch of the $86 million interchange can be found at http://www.epsgroupinc.com/projects/40us-93-west-kingman-ti-dcr-pel/

The Alternative "D" route east of Beale St. was originally ADOT's preferred alignment per the 2009 feasibility study.   However, that was 3 years prior to the 2012 I-11 designating legislation and may have been predicated on a more modest facility such as a simple trumpet.  It was clear by the 2013 meeting that the "D" corridor was "fleshed out" to a more appropriate Interstate-to-Interstate configuration.  But that alignment met with opposition from Beale businesses, who would have either been dislocated from their properties or their access points changed to a more convoluted form, at least in reference to I-40.  Hence the reconsideration of the west corridors, with "A" and "B" vying for top spot there (with a final decision to apparently occur later this year).  Once the selection is finalized, ADOT's commitment to this corridor might well be measured by the time lapse between that occurrence and actual groundbreaking. 

Also: once the bypass construction is underway, projects to upgrade the rest of US 93 north to NV might follow in relatively short order;  I-40 to Vegas is a functional SIU regardless of the progress on I-11 to the south.

AZDude

Having lived there from 1989-2006 I can attest to that.

Sub-Urbanite

Good lord. If I-11 gets routed through Golden Valley, what a weird series of urban bypasses it'll have — a 4 mile detour around Boulder City, a 5ish mile detour around Kingman, and then however long the difference would be going down Sun Valley Parkway to I-10 vs following 60 in to 303... 

sparker

^^^^^^^^
As I stated earlier, because of the new truck inspection facility at the 93/68 interchange, Golden Valley is likely out of the mix; the Kingman west bypass will curve around the hill west of Beale Street and intersect I-40 about a half-mile to a mile (depending upon the exact alignment selected) west of the Business 40 west exit.   

X99

Quote from: sparker on May 15, 2019, 04:38:05 PM
^^^^^^^^
As I stated earlier, because of the new truck inspection facility at the 93/68 interchange, Golden Valley is likely out of the mix; the Kingman west bypass will curve around the hill west of Beale Street and intersect I-40 about a half-mile to a mile (depending upon the exact alignment selected) west of the Business 40 west exit.   
I thought the selected alternative was east of the current Beale Street interchange, since that's the one mapped out as "proposed" on OpenStreetMap.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

sparker

Quote from: X99 on May 20, 2019, 07:31:08 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 15, 2019, 04:38:05 PM
^^^^^^^^
I thought the selected alternative was east of the current Beale Street interchange, since that's the one mapped out as "proposed" on OpenStreetMap.

Someone at OSM needs to update their data; the east-of-Beale alignment was sunk by local opposition several years back even though it was ADOT's initial favored route. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.