News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)

Started by cpzilliacus, November 07, 2014, 09:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

According to Wikipedia, by comparison, you'll travel 14.87 miles on I-895 from one end to the other versus 15.24 on I-95 between the same two endpoints.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

The contractor has started to hang the structural steel on which the northbound lanes of the reconstructed Canton Viaduct will rest.  I saw them at work last night.  Associated with that are short closures in the overnight hours of both directions of I-895 to deliver the steel assemblies by truck.  Originally, I think the plan had been to close all lanes of I-895 over weekends to get the steel delivered and placed.

A temporary-looking pipe (presumably to carry water for firefighting if needed) is being installed on the walkway in the northbound tube (it used to have a railing, and there were booths where police officers watched traffic pass by and presumably responded on foot to incidents - they had to walk that walkway to and from their duty stations - probably not the healthiest place to go for a walk) - I think the booths were removed in the 1980's as part of the renovation work done starting in 1985 or 1986.

I know that some of the existing pipes in the tubes for carrying water do not work, and those are to be replaced or repaired under this contract.

The repair to the stonework next to the northbound lanes at the south tunnel portal is continuing.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Drove I-895 on a nice sunny weekday recently, and had a chance to look at both work zones (Patapsco Flats Bridge and the Canton Viaduct replacement project (and related work in the tubes)). 

The Patapsco Flats Bridge has been replaced, and traffic is now running in both directions but only in one lane.  The bridge work was being inspected last week, and the contractor was busy replacing median Jersey wall sections north and south of the bridge.  This project should be complete soon.

The Canton Viaduct replacement work continues.  Half or maybe more of the northbound lanes of the viaduct have had new piers built, and steel stringers installed.  At the south end of the viaduct, it looks like the contractor will be able to pour concrete soon, starting just north of the northern portal. 

There's also a lot of work going on at the south portal, where the stonework is getting lots of attention - some of the stone has been removed and so far not replaced (timbers are in place as temporary replacement for the missing stone.  There is also some stonework going on at the north portal, but not as much.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

tolbs17

Should I-895 be widened to six lanes or keep it four? I know it bypasses downtown, but I was just wondering. I love when roads get widened, but I hate the construction they do on it.

74/171FAN

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 08, 2019, 03:37:04 PM
Should I-895 be widened to six lanes or keep it four? I know it bypasses downtown, but I was just wondering. I love when roads get widened, but I hate the construction they do on it.

I doubt that MDTA is interested in adding a new tube to the Harbor Tunnel whatsoever if that is your intent by asking this question.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 08, 2019, 04:51:50 PM

I doubt that MDTA is interested in adding a new tube to the Harbor Tunnel whatsoever if that is your intent by asking this question.
As far as whether it's warranted, I doubt it. While the current construction on 895 is not favorable, the combination of 95 and 895 generally handles the traffic thrown at it. It's getting there on 95 that is the bigger hassle. There's also 695 as a relief valve as needed.

tolbs17

Quote from: Alps on September 08, 2019, 05:32:34 PM

As far as whether it's warranted, I doubt it. While the current construction on 895 is not favorable, the combination of 95 and 895 generally handles the traffic thrown at it. It's getting there on 95 that is the bigger hassle. There's also 695 as a relief valve as needed.
It's been a while since I've been on it, but since it's under construction I think i'll use I-95 (or I-695) as an alternative. The only thing I think they need to widen is the bridge that goes to I-95 south. It's only one lane.

Beltway

I-95 and I-895 is a 12-lane corridor thru Baltimore and across the harbor.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on September 08, 2019, 07:30:13 PM

Yes, but it gets congested on the 8-lane part to the north heading in (or out) at peak times.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on September 08, 2019, 07:34:56 PM
Yes, but it gets congested on the 8-lane part to the north heading in (or out) at peak times.

The northern I-95/I-895 junction?  I-95 north of there is 12 lanes (4-2-2-4) up to White Marsh Blvd.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on September 08, 2019, 08:06:41 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 08, 2019, 07:34:56 PM

The northern I-95/I-895 junction?  I-95 north of there is 12 lanes (4-2-2-4) up to White Marsh Blvd.
It's 8 general purpose lanes, which remain congested with light use of the express lanes. And it's 8 lanes beyond the end of the express lanes as well, and backs up really badly in that long stretch with no exits.

cpzilliacus

Agree with Alps.

I do not think MDTA has any interest in widening I-895, nor should they.

Since I-895 was completed in 1957 (it was just called the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (or BHT) then, with no route number, the I-895 signs did not appear until decades later), there have been a lot of new things built near both tunnel portals.

The north portal is now near the FMT (Fort McHenry Tunnel) north portal, fan building, toll plaza and maintenance yards, and I-95 was built as a long and wide bridge over I-895 in the first half of the 1980's, with the piers that carry I-95 neatly surrounding the I-895 Canton Viaduct (now being replaced).

A wider I-895 might mean that the bridge carrying the 8 lanes of I-95 would need to be reconstructed as part of relocating or re configuring its piers. Send money.  Lots of money.

At the south I-895 portal, there are petroleum tanks close by I-895 to the east, and a large car export and import terminal to the west. Some of this could be moved, but would cost plenty. Send more money.

cpzilliacus

Drove all of I-895 recently, and can report the following:

The bridge replacement over the Patapsco River at Patapsco Flats (between southbound Exit 6 (I-97 and MD-2) and Exit 4 (MD-295, Baltimore-Washington Parkway)) is nearly complete.  The single lane cattle chutes are gone, and there is still some work going on north of the bridge, but the road is otherwise pretty much back to normal.

The bridge replacement project continues at the Canton Viaduct.  All of the old northbound viaduct (and the ramp to Holabird Avenue) has been demolished, and much of the new structure is in place.  I think the contractor will be ready to move traffic onto the northbound side sometime this winter.

Replacement and repair work to the stone walls approaching the south portal continues.  Same for work in the tubes, where old tiles have been removed (but I saw no indication that new tiles have been installed).

cpzilliacus

Recently crossed I-895 from end-to-end both ways. 

The Patapsco Flats bridge project is essentially complete.  The traffic patterns southbound have yet to be restored, but once that is done, then this work is complete.  The new bridge has a much smoother ride than the old structure.

At the Canton Viaduct project, work continues.   It appears that most of the new northbound viaduct is nearly ready to carry traffic.  The work area has been extended north up to O'Donnell Street, where the contractor will apparently be demolishing and replacing the Jersey barrier in the middle of I-895.  At the south portal, there's still work being done to reset the stonework, and in the tubes, a lot of the ceramic tile has been removed, but it does not appear that any new tile has been installed (all of this is part of the Canton Viaduct contract).

epzik8

Traffic is a mess on the I-895 construction area (around exit 11) anymore.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

cpzilliacus

The work on the northbound I-895 Canton Viaduct is complete, and both directions of traffic have been moved to that structure while the southbound bridge is demolished and replaced.  The exit ramp to Holabird Avenue (Exit 10) has been rebuilt and is once again open.

Stonework on the retaining walls near both portals continues.  Additional tiles in the tubes have been removed, but it does not appear that any replacement tile has been installed yet. 

The work zone north of the tunnel has been extended as far north as Lombard Street (Exit 12) and maybe beyond, as the Jersey barrier in the median is being demolished and replaced.   

The LED lights that were installed in the tunnel decks to remind drivers which lane they should be driving in were not in use the last time I crossed the tunnel - not sure why.

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

TheOneKEA

Quote from: jmacswimmer on December 16, 2020, 10:47:03 AM
https://twitter.com/TheMDTA/status/1339185985561579520

The press release makes no mention of any remaining tile and stone facing work in the tunnel and on the approaches. I'm curious to know if that work will all be complete by next summer or if that work will be ongoing with no set end date.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on December 17, 2020, 08:45:51 AM

The press release makes no mention of any remaining tile and stone facing work in the tunnel and on the approaches. I'm curious to know if that work will all be complete by next summer or if that work will be ongoing with no set end date.

Clearly the contract with the prime,  Tutor Perini, will expire at some point.  I think they are responsible for repairs to the stonework at both BHT portals, so it is in their interest to get that work wrapped up.  It seems like this work at both portals (but especially at Fairfield, the south portal) has been going on since the demolition of the northbound I-895 Canton Viaduct span started.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.