News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Charity Collection People at Highway Intersections

Started by mightyace, May 26, 2009, 06:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen this.

You come up to a traffic light or stop sign and there are people by the side of the road or in the middle of it.  And, those people are there collecting for some charity, like a local volunteer fire department or some such.

(See http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/4171 for some examples.)

Even if they have the blessing of local officials and are legit, I don't care for this practice.

First, the collection people put themselves at risk by being on/near the highway.  Second, like a toll booth, this can cause traffic backups at the intersection.  Third, it puts me in an uncomfortable position if I can't or don't want to contribute.  (The latter would be true if I was traveling and it was for a local fire department.)

Have any of you run into this?  If so, what is your opinion of it?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

or they have a cardboard sign and they're collecting for their own beer fund.  Either way, get a real job.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

San Angelo used to have "Fill The Boot" or something like that and it was firefighters collecting money on two major roads.
But SA hasn't really had a problem with "panhandles" anymore

Alex

I've seen the "Fill the Boot" campaigns in Orange County, Florida. I've seen other charities conducting campaigns in Orlando, Fort Walton Beach, and other parts of Florida as well.

There are nicely dressed bible yellers on street corners in Pensacola. They don't want anything from drivers except their attention as they scream out about how many sins they have committed.

FLRoads

When I lived in Gainesville there use to be some church group that would stand EVERY weekend at the busiest intersections (Florida 24-Archer Rd/Florida 121-SW 34th St) and U.S. 441-SW 13th St/Florida 26-University Ave). There would be at least two standing in each direction, each one wearing an orange reflective vest and an ID card indicating "who" and "what" they represented. On several occasions I would have to sit and wait for people in front of me who were giving their donation, thus impeding on the progress of traffic. I found it very annoying to say the least. The only one that I would even consider giving to would be the "Fill the boot" collection.

rawmustard

Quote from: mightyace on May 26, 2009, 06:55:08 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen this.

You come up to a traffic light or stop sign and there are people by the side of the road or in the middle of it.  And, those people are there collecting for some charity, like a local volunteer fire department or some such.

(See http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/4171 for some examples.)

Even if they have the blessing of local officials and are legit, I don't care for this practice.

First, the collection people put themselves at risk by being on/near the highway.  Second, like a toll booth, this can cause traffic backups at the intersection.  Third, it puts me in an uncomfortable position if I can't or don't want to contribute.  (The latter would be true if I was traveling and it was for a local fire department.)

Have any of you run into this?  If so, what is your opinion of it?

It was especially disconcerting in suburban Louisville for their little thing (don't know the name off the top of my head), since several of those roads are two-lane with no shoulder.

Bryant5493

Yes, I hate that they do this. It obstructs traffic, as the folks don't always get back to the sidewalk or median before the lights go from red to green. One trouble spot in my area is Prinecton Lakes Parkway/Centre Parkway @ S.R. 6, near the Camp Creek MarketPlace.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

us44mt

I agree that this is an annoying practice. I can remember long ago there was a collection where there was no light, just set up in the middle of US 6 and the hell with the rear end collisions. Fortunately, at least that practice has been outlawed.

US71

Memphis has churchs at various intersections either asking for donations or handing out propaganda.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hellfighter

I hate when those people come in the middle of the intersection. I know they're doing it for good, but sometimes, I wonder when the idiot driver is going to hit them.

bugo

Quote from: AARoads on May 26, 2009, 08:01:16 PM
There are nicely dressed bible yellers on street corners in Pensacola. They don't want anything from drivers except their attention as they scream out about how many sins they have committed.

The bible thumpers sometimes set up shop at the corner of US 71 and AR 88 in downtown Mena.  A couple of times, the Ku Klux Klan has held rallies on this same corner (and gotten heckled relentlessly.)

In Tulsa, at I-44 and Peoria and I-44 and Lewis, you can often see beggars standing by the off ramp holding signs begging for money.  I always ignore them.  It makes me angry when somebody ahead of me stops to give them money when the light is green.  If you want to give them beer/drug money, do it in a way that doesn't impede traffic.

I despise this practice.  It should be made illegal pronto.

bugo

Quote from: Hellfighter06 on May 27, 2009, 04:04:32 PM
I hate when those people come in the middle of the intersection. I know they're doing it for good, but sometimes, I wonder when the idiot driver is going to hit them.

Sometimes it's not for a good cause.

Hellfighter

Quote from: bugo on May 27, 2009, 05:37:35 PM
Quote from: Hellfighter06 on May 27, 2009, 04:04:32 PM

Sometimes it's not for a good cause.

Like, "I need to get a jet to reach god!".

SSOWorld

I came across some deranged guy in Chicago on McFetridge Dr (between Soldier Field and the Field Museum) who was in the middle of the street telling everyone that his sister was in a van behind them.  Suspicious in that if one to fall for it - that person might be dead. :confused:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.