News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crosswalks

Started by agentsteel53, June 26, 2009, 06:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Shea

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 29, 2009, 09:27:28 PM
Stop signs are placed, for visibility, both eight feet in the air and away from parked cars.  Furthermore, they are unambiguous in their intent.

I will stop for pedestrians if it is sensible to do so, but I'm not going to slam on the brakes because someone made a move that looked like they possibly might be wanting to intend to start to plan to potentially think about crossing the street! 
So your intent is ambiguous.  It's always sensible to stop for pedestrians and it also happens to be the law.

agentsteel53

QuoteIt's always sensible to stop for pedestrians

no, no it is not.  If I am almost up to the crosswalk and the pedestrian has not yet entered it, then I will proceed to go, because it is physically impossible for me to stop in time.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Pedestrians are idiots!  Believe me, I am both on a regular basis!

jake@aaroads.com

Bryant5493

Drivers and pedestrians can be idiotic.

If you're a pedestrian, give the driver enough time and distance to safely give way to you; don't just step off of the curb into that driver's lane without following the aforementioned steps.

If you're a driver, slow down around crosswalks, as someone may step out in front of you. If you hit them in the crosswalk, you'll be the ass. There's no two ways about it.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Terry Shea

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 30, 2009, 07:38:41 PM
QuoteIt's always sensible to stop for pedestrians

no, no it is not.  If I am almost up to the crosswalk and the pedestrian has not yet entered it, then I will proceed to go, because it is physically impossible for me to stop in time.
I think we're splitting hairs here.  :D

agentsteel53

it sure is!  which is why I think it should be left as judgement, not codified law :)

jake@aaroads.com

donutbandit

May I enter this without fear of moderation? Terry Shea is an idiot. He has not only completely misread everything I've posted in this thread, but continued to argue based on his total clueless takes on what I said (I said peds are idiots?)  I said that peds who step into crosswalks believing that people who are driving 3,500 pound autos will always see them, respect them, and be able to stop are idiots. And that laws that mandates this are a freaking farce. I don't trust laws to protect me. I trust my instincts.

donutbandit

QuoteIf you're a driver, slow down around crosswalks, as someone may step out in front of you. If you hit them in the crosswalk, you'll be the ass. There's no two ways about it.

California law specifically prohibits this. A pedestrian may not step in front of a moving vehicle and claim right of way. Try to prove if you hit one. A lot of them think they have this right. Someone taught them wrongly.

Here's another misconception they have. I can come motoring down the freeway onramp at 35, and everybody has to get out of my way. Wrong. You are expected to mergwe into traffic at highway speed, and there is no law that anyone has to move over for you.

A lot of people do it out of courtesy, but I stopped doing it long ago, the reason being that the vehicle I allowed out quickly matched my speed, and hung me out in the fast lane. Let them figure out how to get on the freeway. It's a basic driving skill, isn't it?

Scott5114

Quote from: donutbandit on July 03, 2009, 01:54:12 AM
May I enter this without fear of moderation? Terry Shea is an idiot.

No, that is not acceptable.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Terry Shea

Quote from: donutbandit on July 03, 2009, 01:54:12 AM
May I enter this without fear of moderation? Terry Shea is an idiot. He has not only completely misread everything I've posted in this thread, but continued to argue based on his total clueless takes on what I said (I said peds are idiots?)  I said that peds who step into crosswalks believing that people who are driving 3,500 pound autos will always see them, respect them, and be able to stop are idiots. And that laws that mandates this are a freaking farce. I don't trust laws to protect me. I trust my instincts.
Quote from: donutbandit on June 29, 2009, 01:38:17 AM

Yes, I'm paying attention to 4 lanes of traffic, not complicated by sidestreets or by peds waiting to cross.

I'm reminded of an incident many years ago. I'm trying to cross a 4 lane street into a gas station. I finally get a break and cross, and I'm accosted by a bicycle rider I did not see.

He threatens me, and my reply is "why don't you put on something that people might see? Like orange socks or a flag pole?"

Idiot reasoning. I'm looking at 4 lanes of traffic, and I'm supposed to see him.

The same reasoning that I'm supposed to see a ped who walks up to a crosswalk, and pulls out the red on me on a 4 lane street.

I'm supposed to be paying attention to idiot peds who walk up and request admission when I''m paying attention to 4 lanes of traffic that demands my attention.

Stupid, anal reasoning.

Scott5114

Okay, obviously this topic is just going to further degrade into people sniping at each other, so I'm locking it.

For future reference, it's okay to say stuff like "idiot pedestrians" and "idiot drivers" since it's quite well understood (or should be) that nobody present is being insulted....but you can't call other people here names no matter how much you disagree with them. Nothing good comes of it. Attack the opinion, not the person.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.