News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best Interstates Around Stadiums...

Started by Tomahawkin, January 31, 2009, 02:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawkin

I read alot of Stadium fans responses about how stadiums shold be built off an efficient interstate...?

What are everyones's thoughts?

There is nothing worse than being stuck in traffiic 10 minutes before a game starts

Also, I'd Like the to hear the best tailgaiting experiences for Baseball and Football...

And, As well If taking the Interstate sucks going to games then what is the 411 about the best rapid transit...?

I'd like to hear thoughts, I'm gonna be a(n) urban developer/city planner one day...

And I'd rather hear A People's Response rather than a(n) Politicians....

Thoughts...?

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

John

Say whatever you want about Candlestick itself, but it is easy to get to (which is a good thing, I wouldn't want to spend more than 5 seconds in Hunters Point/Bayview.
They came, they went, they took my image...

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ComputerGuy

Chris

Stadiums are always problematic.

A free-flowing freeway lane can handle about 2,200 to 2,500 vehicles per hour.

If a whole stadium empties 10,000 cars within say, 30 minutes, you'll need 8 outbound free-flowing lanes, even more when controlled by traffic lights or other at-grade intersections.

rmsandw

I would have to agree with Miller Park, very easy in during rush hour, and easy out when everyone is leaving.
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

Duke87

While good highway access is of course a good thing to have for a stadium, good subway access is better.
I mean, look at the New Jersey Meadowlands. It's right by the Turnpike, NJ 3, and NJ 17, but traffic is always horrid getting out of there if you stay to the end of the game. On the other hand, Yankee Stadium can be escaped relatively easily via the 4 or D train.
The sheer volume of people you need to move makes it a situation in which public transportation is superior.

Oh, and by the way, the plural of "stadium" is "stadia". It's Latin. :nod:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

rawr apples

Oriole Park at Camden Yards and M&T bank stadium in Baltimore have direct access to I-395
Now shut up and drivee

PAHighways

Traffic around Heinz Field and PNC Park is not much of a problem before and after games since there are many options besides driving.  Most people choose to park in downtown Pittsburgh or take mass transit.  Since the subway ends at Gateway Center, people will take the subway then walk across either the Fort Duquesne or Roberto Clemente Bridges.  Work to extend it to the North Side near the stadiums is underway, so eventually it will be possible to take the "T" all the way.  Also the Gateway Clipper provides a water taxi service from Station Square.

For those who park around the stadiums, the terminus of the I-279 HOV lanes are right at the stadiums.  General Robinson Street becomes one-way towards the Seventh and Ninth Street Bridges, another HOV on-ramp at Anderson Street, and PA 28 northbound.  The on-ramp for PA 65 northbound and southbound is next to Heinz Field.

If you want to experience a real tailgating atmosphere, it's hard to beat the parking lot next to Heinz Field.  People are always tailgating whether it is 70 or 7.

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't get down to the Dome much, but it's served by the 3rd Ave freeway and I-35W/MN 55 close by. I-94 and I-394 are also reasonably close. I don't have many problems once I get on a freeway following a game.

It'll be interesting; the new Twins stadium will literally almost sit on top of I-394. I want to see how the freeway handles it because of the WB bottleneck (goes down to one lane) at the HOV reversible lane exit.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Tomahawkin

I agree That most effecient stadiums rely on mass transit (subways) to alleviate traffic, Which I think needs to be done more often. I'm really suprised that these Billion dollar stadiums are not thing about ways to connect better connect them to transit stations...

It will be a matter of time when gas goes back up to 4 dollars a gal...

Also Dolphin Stadium (Pro Player Stadium, or whatever Corporate Name you want to put on it) And Qualcomm Stadium are located in very open areas and relatively close to large interchanges

DrZoidberg

Another vote for Miller Park.  When it was County Stadium, it was a bit of a clusterf%@k at times, especially with the left exit on 94 eastbound, but when I was back home in WI last year, I was surprised how free flowing traffic is.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

SSOWorld

Quote from: Duke87 on January 31, 2009, 02:30:43 PMOh, and by the way, the plural of "stadium" is "stadia". It's Latin. :nod:
Grammar Nazi :-P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mrivera1

Yes, Qualcomm in San Diego is placed at the northwestern corner of the I-8/I-15/CA-15 interchange, a major one in the region, but, the stadium is only accessible off the I-15 at Exit 7B, which can be a nightmare during football games or whenever an event is taking place at the stadium.
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

Bryant5493

I like the view one gets of Turner Field from I-75/85. The lights in the old Olympic stadium are on long after night Braves' games.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Freewayjim

Turner Field in Atlanta is very easy to get to (right at I-20/75/85 interchange) The Georgia Dome, that's another story, I always use MARTA for that.

Fenway Park is MISERABLE to get to from anywhere.

Cincinnati's stadiums are easy to access, I stayed in KY and crossed the Roebling Bridge to go to a Reds game once.

The access to the stadiums in Pittsburgh is OK, (nothing is easy to get to in that town) but what's really cool is taking the water taxi from Station Square across the confluence to the north shore, that is the best!
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

Sykotyk

Cleveland Browns Stadium can be difficult getting to or from, mostly because the two major access roads are OH-2 and East 9th.

E 9th runs right through town to hit the I-77/I-90 interchange. It is horrible. OH-2 eastbound after games is logjammed. I usually cross the E 9th bridge over OH-2, and then criss-cross down Superior and other side streets to get over to an entry ramp to I-90 just east of the I-77/I-90/E. 9th nightmare. Once on I-77 south, you can get over to avoid the oncoming traffic.

As for tailgating, it's great, because you have the Muni lots all around the stadium open for tailgating. Although I've been in Cleveland at 6AM on gamedays and seen them packed, so arrive early.

Plus, with the huge lots, parking is a lot cheaper. I've been to games at Heinz Field, parking close to the stadium there is $40, while in Cleveland you can park right near the stadium (on the E 9th garage south of OH-2) for $10. That's also due to the obscenely high tax on parking in Pittsburgh, sa well.

Sykotyk

Tomahawkin

Although I like the concept of ballparks being located in downtown areas for the fact that there is so much to do before/after games (ex. St. Louis, Cincinnati), the fact of having some ballparks/stadiums out in the open and surrounded by acres and acres of parking lots adjacent to an interstate seems highly feasible in areas in which their interstate networks are vastly underdeveloped, and land is scarce (mainly areas in the northeast)

Greybear

Well... Arlington, TX is about to find out how it is to deal with football traffic come this fall when the new Cowboys stadium opens. I-30 (E-W) and TX 360 (N-S) are gonna be pure hell.

74/171FAN

The parking for the Washington Nationals is slightly different due to there being no parking at Nationals Park(except for a parking garage for season ticket holders).  However, it is really easy to get in and out of RFK stadium's parking lot unless the I-395 congestion is in full swing(and the best part is that it's free although you have to take a shuttle from RFK to Nationals Park and vice versa).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Tomahawkin

I noticed That there is a Wal-Mart within Close Range of the New Cowboys stadium. That Gigantic spaceship of a stadium makes the Ballpark in Arlington look minature size...

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on March 09, 2009, 10:19:17 PM
but it's a very inefficient use of land for football stadiums that only see 8 home games per year (plus, at best, 3 playoff games).

I guess you like racetracks even less since they are generally much larger that football stadiums and have only 1 to 3 major events per year.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

njroadhorse

You wanna talk about hell getting into a stadium, try the Meadowlands and the Wachovia complex of buildings.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

corco

Stadiums are one situation in which easily deployable mass transit is absolutely necessary. The cf around Safeco/Qwest as well as Husky Stadium in Seattle is bad, but it would be even worse were it not for the mass transit. King County Metro runs several park and ride shuttles that run straight from the park and ride in various areas around King County to the stadium without stops. This works great for football as it fills otherwise mostly unused park and ride lots on weekends and they can use extra busses they don't need on weekends to devote exclusively to football shuttling.

When I lived in Tacoma and wanted to go to a Seahawks or Huskies game it would have been incredibly stupid to drive up- much easier to drive to Federal Way, park in the parking lot, and ride a FREE shuttle straight to the stadium (the shuttle having access to things like Bus Way south of the stadium allowing it to effectively bypass traffic)

Mariners games weren't so bad, there is usually free parking available along the railroad tracks in Sodo and if you took 599 up it was pretty easy to avoid the cf coming from the south, but again it was pretty easy to park in the Tacoma Dome P & R free parking garage and ride the one stop Sound Transit bus up

I'm not a huge mass transit advocate, but I firmly believe downtown stadia with effective mass transit access is the way to go

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.