News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: thenetwork on October 29, 2017, 10:41:55 AM

Not quite accurate, as their washing machines are still made in their factory in Clyde, OH.

http://www.toledoblade.com/business/2017/03/19/Huge-Whirlpool-plant-runs-heart-of-Clyde.html

Well, I know John "I-57" Boozman arranged tax incentives so they could leave Ft Smith and move to Mexico.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kkt

Trump is not stupid enough to buy a failing company, at least not with his own money.

By closing stores a few at a time, they're able to get better money for their real estate and administer laying off their staff according to whatever laws and policies apply in their jurisdictions.

busman_49

A new list was just published today...  18 Sears stores & 45 Kmarts are getting the ax:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/18_sears_stores_45_kmart_store.html

LM117

Quote from: busman_49 on November 02, 2017, 05:08:50 PM
A new list was just published today...  18 Sears stores & 45 Kmarts are getting the ax:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/18_sears_stores_45_kmart_store.html

Looks like they finally decided to put Danville's Kmart out of it's misery. Welp, I'll be taking advantage of clearance sales soon.

Oh, and the Lynchburg location doesn't surprise me either. It was shitty too.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Several in Kentucky are going bye-bye.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/business/article182418451.html#storylink=latest_side

I've been wondering what took them so long to close Frankfort, and I wonder if the snobs in Versailles will change their minds about Walmart coming in now that Kmart is leaving?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Fayetteville and Fort Smith, Arkansas Sears stores are closing in January. Auto Centers close in December.

The Fayetteville Sears dates back to the early 1970's when it was the first store in the Northwest Arkansas Mall.  Before that, it was a catalog store near downtown.

steviep24

New link for the most recent round of closings.
http://www.businessinsider.com/list-sears-kmart-store-closures-2017-11

No New York stores this time around at least.

Takumi

My local Sears (the Southpark Circle one) is on the list. It was one of the original anchors when the mall was built. The last one left using its own name will be JCPenney, as the Macy's was originally Thalheimer's and then Hecht's.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Revive 755

With all of the Kmart closings, it is going be to be easier for many, particularly in parts of the Midwest to not notice when the remaining ones close.  Maybe they should just throw in the towel already and focus on saving the remaining Sears.

US71

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 04, 2017, 10:51:46 AM
With all of the Kmart closings, it is going be to be easier for many, particularly in parts of the Midwest to not notice when the remaining ones close.  Maybe they should just throw in the towel already and focus on saving the remaining Sears.
I'm not sure Fast Eddie cares about saving them. He seems to be milking them dry piece by piece. Then he'll sell the corpses to the highest bidder.

freebrickproductions

The last Kmart in Alabama is closing next year, and since it ain't far from me, I'll see about going down there sometime in the near future and documenting it. Maybe chase the ATN while I'm at it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

briantroutman

Included in this list is the Sears at the Lycoming Mall, which is near Williamsport. Growing up, this was my local indoor shopping mall. The mall's Macy's was closed in March. The same month, JCPenney listed the Lycoming location among the raft of stores it planned to close. Now, the mall's Sears is slated for closure.

When these three large vacant anchor spaces are added to the numerous other empty storefronts inside the mall (Gap, Aéropostale, PacSun, RadioShack, and CVS all departed within the past few years), I estimate the mall will have more leasable square footage vacant than occupied. I don't know what the tipping point is–when a shopping mall ceases being viable and ends up on a downward spiral to its ultimate end–but I'd say this mall is about to pick up a lot of downhill speed.

jp the roadgeek

Looks like Tar-get isn't immune to store closings.  12 to close in February:

The stores being shuttered include those in: Minneapolis' Twin Cities metro area (Hastings); Fergus Falls in outstate Minnesota; Harper Woods, Michigan (Eastland); Hutchinson, Kansas; Benton Harbor, Michigan; Macon, Georgia; Slidell, Louisiana; Lauderhill, Florida; Matteson, Illinois; Romeoville, Illinois; Baltimore (West), and San Antonio (Far East).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US71

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 07, 2017, 09:44:50 PM

The stores being shuttered include those in: Minneapolis' Twin Cities metro area (Hastings); Fergus Falls in outstate Minnesota; Harper Woods, Michigan (Eastland); Hutchinson, Kansas; Benton Harbor, Michigan; Macon, Georgia; Slidell, Louisiana; Lauderhill, Florida; Matteson, Illinois; Romeoville, Illinois; Baltimore (West), and San Antonio (Far East).

Matteson? Well, there's still Lincoln Mall...oh, wait!

Flint1979

There are only two Kmart's that I can even think of within 50 miles of here. Saginaw use to have 3 Kmart's now there is none and another one closing in Bay City soon. Midland and Clio are the only two within 50 miles of Saginaw and Clio is the ONLY Kmart left in Genesee County, a county with a population of about 400,000.

inkyatari

Romeoville, Illinois;

Oh wow.  That's just a few miles from where I work.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on November 08, 2017, 08:53:09 AM

Romeoville, Illinois;

Oh wow.  That's just a few miles from where I work.

I'm not overly shocked about that one, even though it is newer.  There's a Target up in Bolingbrook at Boughton, one in Joliet by the mall, and another nearby in Plainfield at 127th & 59.  Across the river, there's one at 135th & Archer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Flint1979

Target closed their store in the Bay City Mall about 4-5 years ago.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JJBers

Ouch, the closest Kmart to me is currently in Vernon, though the one in Manchester was closer. The closest Sears is in the Crystal Mall in Waterford.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

ftballfan

Quote from: renegade on July 09, 2017, 05:04:33 PM
The Kmart in Monroe, Michigan is closing.  In the mid-1970's, there was talk of a second Kmart for the south side of Monroe.

They built that one on W. Alexis Rd in Toledo.  The Kmart on W. Alexis Rd in Toledo is closing.

The last Sears in Toledo is closing.  The Sears in Monroe Mall closed several years ago.

There's still a Kmart in Ypsilanti/Belleville, Michigan, and a Sears at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor.  Come and get them.

Belleville Kmart is still open. Went there last night to look and see how it was doing and there had to be 30-40 cars in the parking lot. It definitely helps that Walmart and Meijer are not right next door. Also, the last Kmart in the Toledo area (OH 2 in Oregon) is closing.

In northern Michigan, the only Kmarts left are Charlevoix, Grayling, and Oscoda (none of whom have Walmart or Meijer). Just in the last two years, Kmart has closed in Acme, Cheboygan, Houghton Lake, Manistee, Traverse City, and West Branch. That doesn't even include the communities that lost theirs farther back, such as Alpena, Big Rapids, Cadillac, Gaylord, Ludington, and Petoskey (Cadillac and Ludington closed during the 2002 bankruptcy, while Alpena, BR, Gaylord, and Petoskey lasted a little longer)

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on November 20, 2017, 11:41:31 PM
The Kmart in Monroe, Michigan is closing.  In the mid-1970's, there was talk of a second Kmart for the south side of Monroe.

They built that one on W. Alexis Rd in Toledo.  The Kmart on W. Alexis Rd in Toledo is closing.

The last Sears in Toledo is closing.  The Sears in Monroe Mall closed several years ago.

There's still a Kmart in Ypsilanti/Belleville, Michigan, and a Sears at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor.  Come and get them.

Belleville Kmart is still open. Went there last night to look and see how it was doing and there had to be 30-40 cars in the parking lot. It definitely helps that Walmart and Meijer are not right next door. Also, the last Kmart in the Toledo area (OH 2 in Oregon) is closing.

In northern Michigan, the only Kmarts left are Charlevoix, Grayling, and Oscoda (none of whom have Walmart or Meijer). Just in the last two years, Kmart has closed in Acme, Cheboygan, Houghton Lake, Manistee, Traverse City, and West Branch. That doesn't even include the communities that lost theirs farther back, such as Alpena, Big Rapids, Cadillac, Gaylord, Ludington, and Petoskey (Cadillac and Ludington closed during the 2002 bankruptcy, while Alpena, BR, Gaylord, and Petoskey lasted a little longer)
Saginaw no longer has any Kmart's, Bay City's is closing, Midland has one, Clio has one, Flint has none. That's pretty much my part of Michigan.

renegade

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 20, 2017, 11:50:18 PM

Saginaw no longer has any Kmart's, Bay City's is closing, Midland has one, Clio has one, Flint has none. That's pretty much my part of Michigan.

Don't forget the one in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan has closed.  Come to think of it, the one in Soo, Ontario is long gone as well, although Kmart in Canada had little to do with its U.S. counterpart.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Flint1979

Quote from: renegade on November 21, 2017, 12:05:20 PM

Don't forget the one in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan has closed.  Come to think of it, the one in Soo, Ontario is long gone as well, although Kmart in Canada had little to do with its U.S. counterpart.
Wasn't sure about that one. I haven't been in the U.P. in quite a long time, I use to go that way to get to the Twin Cities to avoid Chicago traffic. I was at the one in Cheboygan this past summer and heard that one has closed as well as the one in West Branch which is another one I had been in the last few years.

Saginaw's last Kmart closed kind of strangely. About 3 years ago in the middle of the winter (happened while the store was closed) the roof collapsed and they just ended up closing the store down for good. Now a Kroger in that same shopping plaza is closing for good this week. The entire plaza is going to be empty.

renegade

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 21, 2017, 02:44:55 PM
Quote from: renegade on November 21, 2017, 12:05:20 PM

The last Sears in Toledo is closing.  The Sears in Frenchtown Mall closed several years ago.

Wasn't sure about that one. I haven't been in the U.P. in quite a long time, I use to go that way to get to the Twin Cities to avoid Chicago traffic. I was at the one in Cheboygan this past summer and heard that one has closed as well as the one in West Branch which is another one I had been in the last few years.

Saginaw's last Kmart closed kind of strangely. About 3 years ago in the middle of the winter (happened while the store was closed) the roof collapsed and they just ended up closing the store down for good. Now a Kroger in that same shopping plaza is closing for good this week. The entire plaza is going to be empty.
I remember in the late 1970s/early '80s, the Kmart in Soo, Michigan was little more than a pole-barn-type structure out on the edge of town.  They remodeled and expanded the building in the early '90s so that it looked less like a pole-barn.

Sault Ste Marie getting a Walmart Supercenter is what ultimately did that Kmart in.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.