News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New MUTCD announced

Started by Alps, October 05, 2018, 01:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on January 16, 2020, 01:15:27 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 16, 2020, 01:05:09 PM
Quote from: US 89 on January 16, 2020, 11:55:45 AM
Also, the current MUTCD handles exits with option lanes really poorly in my opinion, since it doesn't have a way to indicate an option lane on the big overhead signs in advance of the exit. Nobody reads the little R3-8 lane signs at freeway speeds. I'm also not a fan of how the option lane is signed "exit only" at the ramp itself.

Isn't Utah full of arrow-per-lane signs, which were the effective replacement for down-arrow option lane signage? There's definitely a way to advance-sign an option-lane exit. They're also one of the few states using the sawn-off arrow-per-lane sign, which saves on cost while still being decently informative (from what I've seen/heard).

I certainly don't mind Utah's partial APLs, but the thing is that those were added into Utah's version of the MUTCD. There should be something like that in the federal document.

As for full-size APLs: I'd love to know how this is any more effective than what was there before. The new one is a waste of sign and still isn't easy to read.

Agreed on the sawn-off APL addition. Would be wise!

But your problem doesn't seem to be the lack of a way to sign option lanes, but rather your disapproval of full-width APLs. Being someone who is very publicly in favour of APL signage, even I recognize that some can become gigantic. But that's not because of the up arrows themselves, but how poorly the MUTCD has designated information be laid out on the signs. It's basically a free-for-all with down arrow signage (in terms of where stuff can be placed), but God forbid anyone put a route shield between two up arrows on an APL to save space.

Thing is, at least in my opinion, while they are large, they do seem very effective in minimizing unnecessary lane changes (particularly in areas where auxiliary lanes are common and where lane changes (to exit) are not always necessary). While I would love to see one or two committees study various types of APLs, and not just those introduced in the 2009 MUTCD (which, I agree, can become almost comically large), the usefulness of the current signage is still there, and, realistically, in most cases, the signs are not ridiculously large -- your link is certainly an outlier.

California has some newer APL signs which fit within their 10-foot maximum height, but they have some older ones that I think are really well designed; why designs like these were not considered to be the starting point for the original '09-spec APL, I do not know:

akotchi

^^^  To J N's discussion, I think there are standards in Chapter 2D and 2E (for guide signs) that do specify the loop height.  Must not have gotten back to 2A.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

marleythedog

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 16, 2020, 03:22:14 PM
For APL's why can't each lane have it's own separate sign with route/control city and arrow over each lane?  Actually it'll be less materials used.  Instead of having one huge sign over all lanes, you'd have individual smaller ones over each lane.

An example for a three-lane road with the middle lane being the option lane:

North
                       US-27

West               West              North 
I-4                  I-4               US-27

Tampa   
Tampa         Jacksonville    Jacksonville

V                     V                   V

Here's an example from the Ohio thread. It's not great.

Quote from: 6a on October 21, 2019, 09:40:45 AM
The opening of the reconfigured exit ramps at I-670 & I-270 has brought about some exit numbering changes:

10A: I-270 N
10B: SR 161/Easton Way
10C: US 62 E
10D: I-270 S

US 89

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 16, 2020, 03:22:14 PM
For APL's why can't each lane have it's own separate sign with route/control city and arrow over each lane?  Actually it'll be less materials used.  Instead of having one huge sign over all lanes, you'd have individual smaller ones over each lane.

An example for a three-lane road with the middle lane being the option lane:

North
                       US-27

West               West              North 
I-4                  I-4               US-27

Tampa   
Tampa         Jacksonville    Jacksonville

V                     V                   V

To me, that would suggest the middle lane goes to an I-24/US 27 concurrency.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on January 16, 2020, 03:44:39 PM
California has some newer APL signs which fit within their 10-foot maximum height, but they have some older ones that I think are really well designed; why designs like these were not considered to be the starting point for the original '09-spec APL, I do not know:

That might be the first California BGS that I have ever really liked.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 17, 2020, 12:32:27 PM

Yeah, it's nice ain't it!? It works because it's clear (IMO) and thrifty with space. If all APLs were laid out like this (or similar to this) to begin with, I doubt anywhere near as many of us would find them a waste.

Scott5114

Another approach to shrinking APL panel size that I believe I posted in one of the illustration thread:

I wonder how this would fare during testing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Henry on January 16, 2020, 10:10:14 AM
I wonder if Clearview will be mentioned in this edition, since only a handful of states began using it by the 2009 revision, and many more have joined in after that?

Highly doubt it.  The FHWA's evaluation of Clearview post-reinstatement has shown that it is no more legible than the FHWA Standard Alphabets, and that any increase in legibility can be achieved by increasing the size of the lettering.  Considering that the Congress that pushed for Clearview's reinstatement has been gone for about a year now and there has been no real push by the current Congress to adopt the font, I don't see the interim approval lasting much longer.

DaBigE

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2020, 05:24:51 AM
Another approach to shrinking APL panel size that I believe I posted in one of the illustration thread:

I'm torn on this. It makes the sign panels much more "efficient" (less wasted fields of green), but adds a decent amount of mounting complexity, and looks kinda tacky/cheap/ugly, IMO.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on January 18, 2020, 10:45:30 PM
I'm torn on this. It makes the sign panels much more "efficient" (less wasted fields of green), but adds a decent amount of mounting complexity, and looks kinda tacky/cheap/ugly, IMO.

Totally agree. The "holes" in the sign look really odd to me. Plus, it still requires lane-width signs to correspond with the arrows. A regular APL, with a bit more creativity, would be quite a bit easier to mount, and would require a lot less "cutting" (if that's a term for sign construction):

(font is Overpass) (signs are about 110" tall).

Scott5114

I feel like this
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2020, 05:24:51 AM

It's based on what Ontario does with down arrows on their signage.

Quote from: jakeroot on January 19, 2020, 01:22:40 AM

Totally agree. The "holes" in the sign look really odd to me. Plus, it still requires lane-width signs to correspond with the arrows. A regular APL, with a bit more creativity, would be quite a bit easier to mount, and would require a lot less "cutting" (if that's a term for sign construction):

(font is Overpass) (signs are about 110" tall).

The problem with this is that it would cause unneeded lane changes (people will invariably think they need the #2 or #3 lanes for I-20, and that the #3 and #4 lanes are for I-59 only). Of course, you could duplicate both shields on both lanes, but that's going to look pretty crowded (and green space is important for readability), and won't work if there are 3+ shields involved.

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 21, 2020, 05:52:02 AM
The problem with this is that it would cause unneeded lane changes (people will invariably think they need the #2 or #3 lanes for I-20, and that the #3 and #4 lanes are for I-59 only). Of course, you could duplicate both shields on both lanes, but that's going to look pretty crowded (and green space is important for readability), and won't work if there are 3+ shields involved.

I've created signs that duplicate the shields as well. My exact design here may not work with three shields, but (A) that doesn't mean I can't figure something out, and (B) that's not exactly a common occurrence.; there's many routes in the US with triplexes, but at least from my experience, only the absolute most important routes (one or two) are shown.

I've probably done 100+ redesigns over the years, and only once can I recall deleting an extra shield (not sure which route below):

Scott5114

I decided to check and see how Norway handles this (since their approach to things tends to be clean, practical, and totally divorced from the US MUTCD), and their approach is to leave out the middle lane, so they can put the text there.

At first I was wondering what they were smoking, but the more I look at it, the more I'm warming up to it. Something about having the text bracketed between the two up arrows just solidifies the message to me.

J N Winkler

A German approach (not sure if it is in RWBA and thus nationwide) is to show the middle lane, but using an upward-pointing arrow with a shorter shaft to leave room for the legend block.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

That was my first thought upon seeing the Norwegian sign, was that they just took that standard, discovered (possibly through testing) that the tiny middle-lane arrow was unnecessary and could simply be implied, and chose to omit the arrow.

jakeroot

I actually like the shrunken center arrow style too. I just prefer having a single up arrow height for consistency's sake. I also try to use "one arrow per lane" if at all possible, and I've seldom (read: never) come across situations where I wasn't able to create some form of APL that where I had to eliminate an arrow. For me, what makes the APL a good option is that it truly represents the approaching situation no matter what angle you're looking from; you count the arrows, and that's the lanes. If there was a missing arrow, I feel that the sign wouldn't be as comprehensive, and therefore starts to miss the point.

I modified the above sign slightly to allow for two shields between both up arrows. I also slightly widened the through arrows to more comfortably fit two shields, changed the interpunct to an ampersand (no idea if I like this or not), and made the sign a more normal 120".

Scott5114

MUTCD standard for multiple destinations on one line is a dash. I prefer the British standard of using a comma (which OTA somehow stumbled into using at the "Afton, Vinita/S. Grand Lake" exit on the Will Rogers Turnpike).

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 23, 2020, 12:36:17 AM
MUTCD standard for multiple destinations on one line is a dash. I prefer the British standard of using a comma (which OTA somehow stumbled into using at the "Afton, Vinita/S. Grand Lake" exit on the Will Rogers Turnpike).

I've preferred, for the longest time, to use interpuncts as used in British Columbia, which are damn-near the same as dashes/hyphens for this purpose. Commas look good to me too. I tried that right before the ampersand.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 17, 2020, 12:32:27 PM

I agree wholeheartedly!
Obviously, this style depends on the control city having few enough characters (preferably 6 or less) to fit between the arrows. That's far from guaranteed: Irondequoit comes to mind as a local example that probably wouldn't work.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on January 23, 2020, 10:39:39 AM
Obviously, this style depends on the control city having few enough characters (preferably 6 or less) to fit between the arrows. That's far from guaranteed: Irondequoit comes to mind as a local example that probably wouldn't work.

Rare APL without any "EXIT ONLY" stickers. Looks really good.

If you put the city name between the arrows (not my preferred option because of obvious width restrictions), usually you just fudge the arrows left and right a little. Below, the far right arrow is scooted to the right to more comfortably fit "San Francisco":

(the Clearview sign I posted above also does this).

roadman

I've mentioned this in other threads, but one of the things I would really like to see in the new MUTCD is minimum attendance and other standards for different categories of Attractions, and not just "regional significance."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

Now there's an interesting catch 22 - you want to get people to your new attraction by getting on the sign, but you'd need people at your new attraction to get on the sign...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman

Quote from: vdeane on January 24, 2020, 12:11:21 PM
Now there's an interesting catch 22 - you want to get people to your new attraction by getting on the sign, but you'd need people at your new attraction to get on the sign...

Attendance standards exist for posting colleges on signs, why not for attractions?  The problem with the current standard is that "regional significance" is too vague and opens agencies up to Warrant #12 claims@@ when requests are denied.  Given that there's only a finite amount of space for putting up signs, there needs to be a better way of determining which attractions are truly eligible for posting on signs.

@@ Warrant 12 = political demand
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on January 24, 2020, 02:04:05 PM
Attendance standards exist for posting colleges on signs, why not for attractions?  The problem with the current standard is that "regional significance" is too vague and opens agencies up to Warrant #12 claims@@ when requests are denied.  Given that there's only a finite amount of space for putting up signs, there needs to be a better way of determining which attractions are truly eligible for posting on signs.

I can see where you're going with this. My issue is that the standards would have to vary significantly from junction to junction, because areas with lots of attractions with lots of attendance would all qualify for the blue signs, and there wouldn't be enough room for everyone. On the other hand, in quiet areas, a small regional park with 100 visitors/day might be busy enough to advertise on the edge of a freeway in that particular region, but would be too quiet to advertise in busier areas.

All told, it's a bit unfair to places that are quieter. The busiest shops in Tacoma are basically all dispensaries (mostly for out of town visitors -- locals have other sources); if those places dragged the "attendance bar" up, the logo signs are just going to be full of cannabis shops. Now, you might say that cannabis shops don't qualify for "attraction" signs, and that's probably true (I don't know the rules). But what exactly qualifies as an attraction is just as vague as the qualifying determination itself; in my mind, it's better just to have a first-come first-serve situation with the attraction signs, as establishing rules would be wicked hard.

Honestly, if politics did get so heavily involved, we'd be better off removing the signs. It's not like lots of people use them anyway (at least from my experience).

Scott5114

This is why I've always though the "Attractions" signs were unusual to begin with. Kansas and Oklahoma don't use them at all. If an attraction is important enough to be signed, it just gets put on a brown sign, and if not, it isn't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.