AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Poll

Semi truck
- 10 (37%)
School bus
- 9 (33.3%)
A truck with a trailer hauling something
- 8 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: The worst vehicle to be stuck behind?  (Read 10188 times)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
Re: The worst vehicle to be stuck behind?
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »

somebody with disability license plates.

What's your rationality behind that?

My dad lost his left leg in the Korean conflict, had a handicapped parking plate, and drove just as good as anyone else on the road. You weren't in any danger or being held up if you were behind him.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:29 AM
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »

A farm tractor.

At least in most cases, tractors use the shoulder so traffic can at least get past.

A lot of times farm equipment is too large to be confined to the shoulder (especially on rural roads that often have narrower or no shoulders), such as the further discussion about combines. However, these vehicles usually don't travel very far so you don't get stuck behind an individual one for more than about a mile at most.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2022, 08:16:26 PM »

Big rig cattle trucks, especially northbound loads on I-41 here in the Appleton, WI area while they're en route to Packerland Packing in Green Bay, WI.  Those drivers are maniacs!

Also dump trucks that are randonly dropping rocks and glops of mud.

Mike

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2022, 11:32:09 AM »

Subaru Forrester.
Left lane Prius.

Never quite understood that stereotype. Prius drivers always seem to be the guys flying up the left lane going 30 over. After all, if you drove a car that weak, you'd end up flooring it all the time too.

Prius drivers are those morons that do 50 in a 20 zone, but on the interstate where it is posted 80 they only do 70. They also don't accelerate if they can help it, preferring to let gravity get them back up to speed.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

HighwayStar

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2022, 11:33:21 AM »

My worst would be an SUV, where the morons driving slam on the brakes before every curve because they know that top heavy obese excuse of a vehicle will roll over if they don't.

US20IL64

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 03:10:24 PM
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2022, 11:49:50 AM »

Semi-trucks next to each other blocking 2 or 3 lanes. Some go real slow and others are riding your rear bumper.    :confused:

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2022, 12:00:57 PM »

Based on all my travels, it would be a semi truck or any other large vehicle like a bus. Stay in their blind spots for too long, and you're asking for trouble.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MikieTimT

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:39:18 PM
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2022, 12:10:21 PM »

A house or mobile home being moved.  They will stop for eons trying to navigate intersections or tight corners.

^ This.

It makes the two semis micro-passing seem worthy of applause, because at least you're moving. God forbid if one of the home-moving vehicles bottoms out on a bump or road camber in the intersection...might as well pull up the parking brake or find a way to make a U-turn...

Out on interstates, they're inevitably wide loads as well, so take up more than a lane by themselves.  I remember being behind one evacuating Biloxi, MS northbound when I was a kid after our vacation on the beach got cut short by a hurricane warning for Hurricane Elena.  We had the honor of being the front of a very long string of evacuation traffic for well over a dozen miles.  The rear pilot vehicle kept cutting my dad off when trying to pass.  He ended up faking one direction and going the other to get around, then flipping him off and throwing his sub sandwich out the window onto the windshield as he sped by.  As it turns out, mayonnaise isn't removed by wipers very well, it's more of a smear, so the rear pilot ceased to run blocker and had to pull over to clear the windshield and traffic starting working its way around the convoy.  I generally don't condone road rage, but plugging up an evacuation in progress isn't exactly consideration inducing.

HighwayStar

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2022, 12:18:36 PM »

A house or mobile home being moved.  They will stop for eons trying to navigate intersections or tight corners.

^ This.

It makes the two semis micro-passing seem worthy of applause, because at least you're moving. God forbid if one of the home-moving vehicles bottoms out on a bump or road camber in the intersection...might as well pull up the parking brake or find a way to make a U-turn...

Out on interstates, they're inevitably wide loads as well, so take up more than a lane by themselves.  I remember being behind one evacuating Biloxi, MS northbound when I was a kid after our vacation on the beach got cut short by a hurricane warning for Hurricane Elena.  We had the honor of being the front of a very long string of evacuation traffic for well over a dozen miles.  The rear pilot vehicle kept cutting my dad off when trying to pass.  He ended up faking one direction and going the other to get around, then flipping him off and throwing his sub sandwich out the window onto the windshield as he sped by.  As it turns out, mayonnaise isn't removed by wipers very well, it's more of a smear, so the rear pilot ceased to run blocker and had to pull over to clear the windshield and traffic starting working its way around the convoy.  I generally don't condone road rage, but plugging up an evacuation in progress isn't exactly consideration inducing.

The fact that he was assaulted with a sandwich...I hope it was something barely edible like subway. 

MikieTimT

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2022, 12:25:48 PM »

^ This.

The fact that he was assaulted with a sandwich...I hope it was something barely edible like subway.

It was indeed.

tmthyvs

• Last Login: February 29, 2024, 03:02:18 PM
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2022, 12:34:46 PM »

In the canyons coming through the front range foothills (like US 34 through the Big Thompson canyon), it has to be the driver who's being extra cautious, but thinks the slow vehicle pullout doesn't apply to them. I typically go about the speed limit, and I've used the pullouts to let faster traffic past, but I've also lost 5-10 minutes in the ~20 miles of canyon to extra slow traffic.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:09:51 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2022, 01:40:35 PM »

Subaru Forrester.
Left lane Prius.

Never quite understood that stereotype. Prius drivers always seem to be the guys flying up the left lane going 30 over. After all, if you drove a car that weak, you'd end up flooring it all the time too.

Prius drivers are those morons that do 50 in a 20 zone, but on the interstate where it is posted 80 they only do 70. They also don't accelerate if they can help it, preferring to let gravity get them back up to speed.

Honestly, in my area, the slow Prius driver stereotype is now the slow Tesla driver stereotype. The Prius is now driven exclusively by taxi and rideshare drivers, who notoriously drive excessively fast. Apart from the old retired guys who would drive slow in any car.

doorknob60

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:57:38 PM
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2022, 02:44:53 PM »

A farm tractor.

Oh damn! Hadn’t even thought about that!

Ha, once in High School I got stuck behind one going about 10 MPH, on a road too narrow for passing (1 lane each direction with physical median). I was familiar with the area, so I turned off onto a side street, gunned it down a parallel street (probably too fast), and made it back onto the main road ahead of it.

Since one of you are probably familiar with Bend roads, it was on my way to Summit High (on lunch break, so I was probably in a hurry to get back to class), on Mt Washington Dr between Simpson and Skyliners. I used Flagline, Outlook Vista (a street that always made me think of Microsoft), and Hosmer Lake to pass the tractor.

I still have no idea what a vehicle like that was doing in that part of town, only time I've seen something like that in that area.

skluth

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2022, 05:26:33 PM »

Back in the day, any vehicle driven by my parents or one of my aunts/ uncles. (My dad was the oldest of 14 so there were lots of aunts and uncles.) That kept me more in line in my late teens than any law enforcement.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2022, 05:48:17 PM »

^ This.

Why the hell would someone be moving a house in the middle of an impending natural disaster anyway? DOT should have cancelled their permits, citing the need for evacuation traffic to use the road.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

zachary_amaryllis

• Stop pouring stuff on my town.

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 04:29:23 PM
    • Blog of random weirdness
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2022, 06:33:17 PM »

RV towing a vehicle in the mountains.

agreed … says guy frequently in this situation.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

• Stop pouring stuff on my town.

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 04:29:23 PM
    • Blog of random weirdness
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2022, 06:37:51 PM »

In the canyons coming through the front range foothills (like US 34 through the Big Thompson canyon), it has to be the driver who's being extra cautious, but thinks the slow vehicle pullout doesn't apply to them. I typically go about the speed limit, and I've used the pullouts to let faster traffic past, but I've also lost 5-10 minutes in the ~20 miles of canyon to extra slow traffic.

I live two canyons north of what you are talking about and I can appreciate
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

XamotCGC

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 11:55:56 PM
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2022, 08:58:45 PM »

A police car.   
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

MikieTimT

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2022, 09:01:15 PM »

A police car.

It's worse to be stuck in front of one.  At close range.  Even without blinky lights.

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:29 AM
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2022, 09:13:54 PM »

A police car.

It's worse to be stuck in front of one.  At close range.  Even without blinky lights.

This summer I saw someone get nabbed by a cop who clocked them from in front of their vehicle (speeding vehicle flew up from behind the cop, slammed on their brakes before coming alongside the cop, but were pulled over regardless), so just staying behind the cop isn't necessarily going to mean you're safe.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:17:23 PM by TheHighwayMan394 »
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2022, 08:08:50 AM »

A Snowbird operated RV.

Bickendan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:19:16 PM
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2022, 09:45:43 AM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned USPS mailtrucks.

BlueOutback7

• I-5 to Finland or bust!

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:24 PM
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2022, 09:53:40 AM »

Garbage trucks.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2022, 10:01:47 AM »

Along with moving vans and UPS* delivery trucks.

*--may be substituted for FedEx, DHL or Amazon
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2022, 12:10:59 PM »

Speaking of being behind a police car, when I was commuting from Winchester to Frankfort, there would occasionally be a Kentucky state trooper driving west on I-64 between Lexington and Frankfort who drove the speed limit instead of blowing down the road about 85 or 90 the way they usually do. He really stacked traffic up on the morning commute.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.