Hard to pronounce city street names

Started by Flint1979, February 22, 2023, 08:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 23, 2023, 06:54:46 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 18, 2023, 09:12:28 AM
Quote from: dgolub on March 18, 2023, 08:13:38 AM
Houston Street in Manhattan is pronounced as if it starts with the word "house," not like the city in Texas.
Texans are the ones that say it incorrectly.  There are other House-ton Streets around, but only one Hews-ton.
They aren't even named for the same person. Houston, Texas is named for Sam Houston. Houston Street in Manhattan is named for William Houstoun (yes with that spelling). So them being pronounced differently makes sense.
Nah.  Sam Houston pronounced his name wrong.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

Houston Street in Manhattan is pronounced as if it starts with the word "house," not like the city in Texas.

Texans are the ones that say it incorrectly.  There are other House-ton Streets around, but only one Hews-ton.

They aren't even named for the same person. Houston, Texas is named for Sam Houston. Houston Street in Manhattan is named for William Houstoun (yes with that spelling). So them being pronounced differently makes sense.

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2023, 07:05:45 AM

You'all are just spelling it wrong.  In West Virginia, it's spelled "Hugheston".  Most of the Hughes in West Virginia were actually Huguenots, but some were Jewish descendants from Wales.  I was going to make a joke about how the Dutch would spell Houston, but the Dutch word "huis" (house) is pronounced the same in both of our languages.

Rothman

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 23, 2023, 08:51:43 AM

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2023, 07:05:45 AM

You'all are just spelling it wrong.  In West Virginia, it's spelled "Hugheston".  Most of the Hughes in West Virginia were actually Huguenots, but some were Jewish descendants from Wales.  I was going to make a joke about how the Dutch would spell Houston, but the Dutch word "huis" (house) is pronounced the same in both of our languages.
I can get behind changing Houston, TX to Hugheston. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wriddle082

Nashville's most infamously mispronounced street is Demonbreun St.  The correct pronunciation is "Duh-MUN-bree-UN" , but a lot of folks pronounce it "DEE-mun-BROO-un" .  Another one is LaFayette St., which is not the French pronunciation but rather "Luh-FAY-it" .  Same goes for the little town NE of Nashville.

Two counties south of Nashville is Maury County.  It's pronounced like "Murry"  instead of like the first name of the talk show host.

Road Hog

Rolater Road in Frisco, TX is continually mispronounced, and it's all because of the newbies. Should be "RAW-luh-ter" but instead it's now suddenly "ROLL-LAY-ter."

kphoger

Quote from: Road Hog on March 24, 2023, 02:54:31 AM
Rolater Road in Frisco, TX is continually mispronounced, and it's all because of the newbies. Should be "RAW-luh-ter" but instead it's now suddenly "ROLL-LAY-ter."

I guessed it correctly!  But, honestly, that's because I've spent way too much time perusing the Texas Almanac Pronunciation Guide (.pdf warning), so by now I'm starting to get a good feel for Texas placename pronunciations.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2023, 03:15:42 PM
I think I might of mentioned it before, but Bearss Avenue in Tampa, Florida is pronounced Bur ss.  Rhymes with purse.
I always said it exactly like the football team, and wondered how they could mess up the spelling.

Around Pittsburgh, there is a river, plus some streets and towns named Monongahela. I'm torn between "mon-un" and "ma-non" for the first two syllables, with the rest being "ga-hee-la"; which one is right?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.