News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Where control cities used to be signed

Started by roadman65, April 17, 2023, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/LCwiGKYcy4JNkvB29
For some reason Ohio DOT removed both Cleveland and Cincinnati from I-270 on I-70.

https://goo.gl/maps/JfxRwPoHha5m9WYt6
In addition the control cities of Wheeling and Indianapolis were also removed from I-71 at I-270.

Any other freeway or roads where control cities once were that have none now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 17, 2023, 09:52:07 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/AdUvGMnfygxc5qfG8
For some reason Ohio DOT removed both Cleveland and Cincinnati from I-270 on I-70.

https://goo.gl/maps/JfxRwPoHha5m9WYt6
In addition the control cities of Wheeling and Indianapolis were also removed from I-71 at I-270.

Any other freeway or roads where control cities once were that have none now.
Test your first link again. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

The old Crosstown Commons had Minneapolis for I-35W North and Albert Lea for I-35W South. The rebuild removed them. Technically the interchange is partially in Minneapolis, but directing traffic toward downtown Minneapolis on 35W northbound would still be helpful.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

IDOT removed the ridiculously ambiguous control of "Suburbs"  for I-355 along I-55.

If memory serves, IDOT covered it with Greenout not long after the transportation/roadways reporter for the ChiTribune wrote a story basically making fun of IDOT and ISTHA for the completely useless control. The BGS that had it NB has been since replaced with a smaller BGS with no control

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on April 17, 2023, 11:10:19 PM
IDOT removed the ridiculously ambiguous control of "Suburbs"  for I-355 along I-55.

If memory serves, IDOT covered it with Greenout not long after the transportation/roadways reporter for the ChiTribune wrote a story basically making fun of IDOT and ISTHA for the completely useless control. The BGS that had it NB has been since replaced with a smaller BGS with no control

Technically, it was the slightly more useful 'West Suburbs'.
https://goo.gl/maps/xnPGRbw1EAmSwfVs5

Meanwhile, it's still signed as 'Northwest Suburbs' along I-88.
https://goo.gl/maps/DwxjGSMhj3NRUMPP9
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on April 18, 2023, 11:17:10 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on April 17, 2023, 11:10:19 PM

Technically, it was the slightly more useful 'West Suburbs'.
https://goo.gl/maps/xnPGRbw1EAmSwfVs5

Meanwhile, it's still signed as 'Northwest Suburbs' along I-88.
https://goo.gl/maps/DwxjGSMhj3NRUMPP9
At one point, it was only "Suburbs"  I have/had an old picture of it somewhere

This was just after the I-80 extension opened so 355 went both North and South

Spring 2009 GSV has it: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Fo7Ea1nHMKr6AtzB6?g_st=ic

By Fall 2009 GSV it was covered with Greenout

Before the south extension opened, yes the control was West Suburbs

kphoger

Sorry, I don't know why I was looking at I-80 instead of I-55 like you said.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

The old version of this overhead sign at the east end of I-64 at Bowers Hill used to have a greenout under Petersburg, and when it was replaced the sign now says only Petersburg via US 460. I assume the part that was greened out said Richmond and dated to before I-664 was completed.

Also, not quite the same spirit, on I-95 north of Richmond, Miami used to be a control city for I-295, but was replaced with the Richmond airport. There's still one Miami control sign on I-95 just south of I-85.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

OldDominion75

I-85 northbound at exit 215 in North Carolina used to have an overhead reassurance BGS that had simply I-85 (no direction) with a control city of Richmond. All references to Richmond in Vance and Warren counties have been replaced by Petersburg, the northern terminal point and junction with I-95. I feel like Richmond was sufficient, as it's the next metropolitan anchor city for motorists heading north. An identical reassurance BGS still exists on I-95 North in Kenly.

Curiously, the controls for I-85 exit 233 (right at the NC/VA border) used to be "Wise"  and "Norlina" . For some reason, it was changed to "Warrenton"  and "Louisburg" . The only reasoning that I can fathom for this would be that those are the next towns on US-401's independent routing. The original controls were more appropriate because it recognizes the next community heading south on that route and the first municipality, Norlina, which is actually more populous than Warrenton.

When I drove to SC a few years ago, I recall that those "301 - Local Traffic"  signs on 95 in Robeson County, NC were gone. Good decision on NCDOT's part.

sprjus4

Quote from: OldDominion75 on April 19, 2023, 12:17:14 AM
When I drove to SC a few years ago, I recall that those "301 - Local Traffic"  signs on 95 in Robeson County, NC were gone. Good decision on NCDOT's part.
Looks to still be there two months ago.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/YrG8sCYrDHos3Rnp7?g_st=ic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: OldDominion75 on April 19, 2023, 12:17:14 AM
Curiously, the controls for I-85 exit 233 (right at the NC/VA border) used to be "Wise"  and "Norlina" . For some reason, it was changed to "Warrenton"  and "Louisburg" . The only reasoning that I can fathom for this would be that those are the next towns on US-401's independent routing. The original controls were more appropriate because it recognizes the next community heading south on that route and the first municipality, Norlina, which is actually more populous than Warrenton.

The control cities of Warrenton and Louisburg were not [considered applicable] for Exit 233 until US-401 was extended northward from Norlina in 2001. 

bing101

Bakersfield used to be signed on I-5 in the Los Angeles area on the Northbound direction until they were greened out for Sacramento when the Boat Section was completed.

NJRoadfan

NJDOT used to sign I-287 north for "Boonton" prior to it's completion in 1993. I-78 west used "Phillipsburg" prior to it's completion (and mostly bypass) to Easton, PA.

Road Hog

The control city for US 75 out of Dallas used to be Sherman, but the Dallas Morning News was bending over and puffing itself when it got changed to McKinney in 2009 or so.

Nobody consulted much-bigger Plano.

hotdogPi

I-93 in Massachusetts used to be signed for Salem, referring to the one in New Hampshire. They moved away from it because too many people were following it trying to get to Salem MA. However, with the I-495 sign replacement project a year or two ago, I-93 north now says "Salem NH", thankfully with the state name.

However, this is one where most of them say Concord NH but I would prefer Manchester NH.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

wanderer2575

A couple minor ones in the Lansing MI area come to my mind:

US-127 exit 82B (WEST I-69 TO WEST I-96) used to have both Grand Rapids and Fort Wayne as controls.  Fort Wayne was greened out several years ago, and omitted when the signs were last replaced.

Eastbound I-496 exit 5 to the Capitol Loop and M-99 M.L. King Boulevard used to show Eaton Rapids as a control for M-99.  That also was greened out several years ago, and omitted when the signs were last replaced.  I guess someone decided three lines of text there was not appropriate.  (Curiously, I don't think the westbound exit, signed only for M-99, ever included a control city.)

1995hoo

So are we looking for signs that used to have a control city that now have none at all, or signs where the control city was replaced with something more local? I ask because the OP says, "Any other freeway or roads where control cities once were that have none now."

Off the top of my head I'm not coming up with the former (no control cities at all), but as to the latter, the Capital Beltway's Inner Loop in Virginia used to use Frederick as a control city (it's in Maryland at the far end of I-270). At some point, I don't remember when but I think in the latter part of the 1980s, most or all of those signs changed to list Tysons Corner instead of Frederick. I recall news reports saying the businesses in Tysons Corner, which had by then grown into a major commercial area, complained about the use of an out-of-state location.

Signs in Tysons Corner now use Rockville and Baltimore as control cities for that direction. Frederick now first appears as a control city on the signage for I-270 where it splits from the Beltway in Maryland.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

OldDominion75

In the Richmond area, “To Powhite Parkway” has been replaced by Charlottesville as a secondary control for the 288 beltway from I-95.

Up until a few years ago, Arthur Ashe Blvd. (I-95 exit 78) was simply just “Boulevard”.

What was Jeff Davis Hwy is now “Route 1” on BGSs. It’s weird because there’s already a U.S. 1 and 301 shield there with “Route 1” used as a control. How about “Richmond Hwy”?

I-295 will have to update signs for Fort Lee with Fort Gregg-Adams soon. There’s already been supplementary signs put up on 95 and 295(which I assume is temporary and will be taken down when the upcoming exit BGS is replaced).

hbelkins

Somehow, someway, Dayton jumped in between Indy and C-bus.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2023, 10:07:13 PM

It is 140,000 people and a major regional center. Not exactly Delaware Water Gap.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MattHanson939

Within Albuquerque, the control city on I-25 south used to be Belen, and Grants used to be signed on I-40 west.  When the Big-I was rebuilt in 2000, the respective control cities were changed to Las Cruces and Gallup.

tdindy88

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 23, 2023, 12:18:33 AM

It is 140,000 people and a major regional center. Not exactly Delaware Water Gap.

The metro area also has over 800,000 people which would certainly qualify as control city worthy in most people's eyes. As a native Hoosier I do miss seeing Columbus on the signs in Indy, but Dayton is big enough and close enough to I-70 that it's mention doesn't cause any ill feeling.

thspfc

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 23, 2023, 08:05:31 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 23, 2023, 12:18:33 AM

The metro area also has over 800,000 people which would certainly qualify as control city worthy in most people's eyes. As a native Hoosier I do miss seeing Columbus on the signs in Indy, but Dayton is big enough and close enough to I-70 that it's mention doesn't cause any ill feeling.
That's a case for two control cities.

roadman65

Staten Island, NY briefly used both Jersey City and Perth Amboy for Route 440 before they switched back to both Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing.   Cities used to no cities there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

They removed Atlanta and Miami from the north I-85 I-95 split in Virginia. Not a fan of that move, as for a major intersection marking the way to Florida could be helpful, and Rocky Mount isn't that well known. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but at the I-25 I-80 intersection in Wyoming, Omaha and SLC were replaced with Laramine and Sidney. Laramine is fine, Sidney absolutely not. Travelers not from the area will think that I-80 goes to Australia now.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.