RIP David L. Backlin, "US 71"

Started by hbelkins, April 28, 2023, 03:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

I really hate to hear this. Gosh I don't know the last time I saw him in person. Thanks for sharing. 
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

kphoger

Cody, was it the Wichita meet?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

I knew he had been in the hospital for an extended period recently, but I didn't know this was coming. This sucks.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

J N Winkler

I'm really sorry to hear this news--we lost him much too soon.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

codyg1985

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2023, 03:45:33 PM
Cody, was it the Wichita meet?

I think actually it was Memphis in 2019.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Katavia

Damn.

(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

formulanone

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 28, 2023, 04:08:31 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this news--we lost him much too soon.

Agreed. :(

From one madman with a camera to another; thanks for all your good work, David.

rawmustard

We who are in Omaha for this weekend's meet will be sure to honor him, as he had planned to attend.

Pixel 6 Pro

74/171FAN

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 28, 2023, 03:20:51 PM
I really hate to hear this. Gosh I don't know the last time I saw him in person. Thanks for sharing. 

Yeah this is really sad.  I think I saw him at Quad Cities in 2021, but I was not familiar with him in general. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bugo

Wow, this sucks, I knew he was having some health issues, but I didn't know that he was this sick. The last email I got from him was on March 26. There aren't a lot of road enthusiasts in Arkansas, and he was one of the most knowledgeable.

Scott5114

He was one of the first road enthusiasts I met in person, and he was a great guy. I'll miss him.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

Oh, to be taken away at the pretty young age of 63...

Thanks for the memories, David; you will be sorely missed.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Thing 342

Rough news to hear, hoping the best for his family.

Hunty2022

Sad news, I am also hoping the best for his family.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

signalman

Deceased road enthusiasts was a topic of conversation in Sandor's car during the Columbus meet. Sadly, at the time none of us were aware of David no longer being among us.

A.J. Bertin

I just learned of this news yesterday and am terribly saddened.  David Backlin was a good man, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to get to know him over the years.  He will definitely be missed in our community.
-A.J. from Michigan

MATraveler128

Damn. This is very sad news. Only 63 is young too. A legend was taken too soon.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Takumi

Sad news. Condolences to his family.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

I was informed that he had cancer and used a walking stick to walk. Was that true?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2023, 01:48:30 PMI was informed that he had cancer and used a walking stick to walk. Was that true?

I don't know about cancer.  There have been mentions on Facebook of him going on dialysis and passing away as the result of complications from a fall.  But, yes, he did use a cane.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

intelati49

TBKS1

Oh my god man... I'm honestly more in shock than I am sad about his passing. He was an extremely knowledgeable guy on highways in Arkansas, learned quite a lot from him. He will be missed in our community.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.