News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New minor sports leagues

Started by Poiponen13, October 02, 2023, 09:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

Which minor professional sports leagues in US and Canada would be good? At least I think that there should be way more minor basketball leagues, rather than just NBA G League. Also, I think that there should be many minor football leagues. Some leagues would have promotion and relegation. What are your thoughts?

hotdogPi

Qix (if you're over 40) / paper.io (if you're under 40) (they're the same game), except running around instead of on a screen. Territory claims and determining whether someone is out is determined entirely electronically; the floor is lit up. 5 players to a team. Win the round (and a point) by getting 80% territory or eliminating all players on the other team. First to 21 points wins, must win by 2.

(update: image has been posted to a different Discord server and will no longer break after 8 hours)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

US 89

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 02, 2023, 09:39:45 AM
What are your thoughts?

That you don't understand how American sports work.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

I'm looking for legitimate feedback on my post and the idea for an entirely new game.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Poiponen13

I propose a two-tier independent minor basketball league. The divisions would be as follows:

PREMIER DIVISION (12 teams)
Fort Worth, TX
Tulsa, OK
Little Rock, AR
Amarillo, TX
Wichita, KS
Corpus Christi, TX
Birmingham, AL
Chattanooga, TN
Jackson, MS
Montgomery, AL
Pensacola, FL
Springfield, MO

DIVISION 1 (10 teams)
Shreveport, LA
El Paso, TX
Meridian, MS
Memphis area, TN
Rome, GA
Lubbock, TX
Frisco, TX
Texarkana, AR
Fort Smith, AR
Lafayette, LA

There would be promotion and relegation of 2 teams between divisions at the end of each season. This setup would be setup in inaugural season.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on October 02, 2023, 09:43:35 AM
Qix ....

Quote from: 1 on October 02, 2023, 09:53:33 AM
I'm looking for legitimate feedback on my post and the idea for an entirely new game.

Wasn't Qix the name of a weird video game in the early 1980s? I remember the name but don't really remember the game.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2023, 09:57:22 AM
Qix ....

Wasn't Qix the name of a weird video game in the early 1980s? I remember the name but don't really remember the game.

Yes. Being 24, I obviously haven't played it, so I just looked at the Wikipedia page for it (which you can also look at if you need a refresher). The physical sport would obviously be multiplayer, though, where instead of the "Qix" that you have to avoid, the players on the other team would be the ones trying to get you out if you're in enemy territory.
Clinched, plus MA 286

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on October 02, 2023, 10:00:59 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2023, 09:57:22 AM
Qix ....

Yes. Being 24, I obviously haven't played it, so I just looked at the Wikipedia page for it (which you can also look at if you need a refresher). The physical sport would obviously be multiplayer, though, where instead of the "Qix" that you have to avoid, the players on the other team would be the ones trying to get you out if you're in enemy territory.

Yeah, I looked at the article but I still don't remember the game all that well. Not one I ever remember spending much, if any, time playing—I just remember the name. Based on what the article says, it wasn't available for either Intellivision (which was what we had at home) or the Atari 2600 (which we could play using the Intellivision System Changer add-on), and I just don't remember playing it in the arcades. In the arcades I mostly liked Ms. Pac-Man and driving games.

thspfc

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 02, 2023, 09:56:24 AM
I propose a two-tier independent minor basketball league.
You mean . . . the G-league?

The G-league isn't much of a draw as is despite being directly affiliated with the NBA. No independent minor league could succeed.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kirbykart

This thread should go in the freak sardine salad.

Scott5114

Quote from: kirbykart on October 06, 2023, 08:45:09 AM
This thread should go in the freak sardine salad.

I would have put it there, but 1 seemed to be making an attempt at having a serious discussion on the topic.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

davewiecking

I rarely played arcade style games, either at home or in arcades, and have absolutely no recollection of Qix, despite reading the Wikipedia article. I'm curious about how the human version would incorporate the Quick Draw and Slow Draw buttons. Are specific players designated as "QD" and "SD" players? Do the more powerful QD players wear a special hat or jersey? Or if they are naturally speedy, do they earn the double points by just covering a certain distance within a specific time, while the opponent is slowing them down by throwing lead weights covered in Velcro at them which therefor stick to their uniforms? And how do you handle the "one life is lost" portion of the game? So many questions...  :hmmm:

Editing to add that all Qix stadiums should have a Quiznos franchise. Because I think they make great Subs.

hotdogPi

Quote from: davewiecking on October 10, 2023, 04:57:48 AM

I rarely played arcade style games, either at home or in arcades, and have absolutely no recollection of Qix, despite reading the Wikipedia article. I'm curious about how the human version would incorporate the Quick Draw and Slow Draw buttons. Are specific players designated as "QD" and "SD" players? Do the more powerful QD players wear a special hat or jersey? Or if they are naturally speedy, do they earn the double points by just covering a certain distance within a specific time, while the opponent is slowing them down by throwing lead weights covered in Velcro at them which therefor stick to their uniforms? And how do you handle the "one life is lost" portion of the game? So many questions...  :hmmm:

Editing to add that all Qix stadiums should have a Quiznos franchise. Because I think they make great Subs.

As for quick draw and slow draw, that won't be a thing in the human version. You just go at your actual speed.
You're out for the round if someone steps on your path. No multiple lives. You'll be back when the next round begins.

You should probably play paper.io once or twice if you haven't yet; I would say it's a bit closer to that game, especially since that one is already multiplayer.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.