News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Officail Announcement Memphis Road Meet April 28!

Started by jpi, January 20, 2012, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpi

Hi everyone,

I had mentioned this some time last year about hosting my first road
meet in memphis with emphasis on the future I-269 construction that is
now in full swing in both TN and MS. Cody Goodman and I scouted out
the corridor and found some great vantage points to check out the
construction and determiened a good possible restaurant to have the
meet. I am considering Huey's which is a regional chain with severl
Memphis locations, the locati\ area I have in mind is Cordova which is
near Wolfchase Gallaria off I-40 exit 16, there is alot of motels in
this area and is right off I-40 on the east side of Memphis. The tour
afterwards will consist of us traveling TN 385 (future I-269) from
I-40 south to Mississippi, the highway itself is open to TN 193, then
we would turn on to TN 205 which runs along the construction path of
385 south to Collierville, there is a couple good pull off area along
205 where we can view the construction. The freeway picks up again at
TN 57 then just to the south is ghost ramps for what will be I-269
south going into Mississippi (there is also several SPUI interchanges
along 385) from here we would exit off to US 72 east and travel a
couple miles to Cayce RD which goes into MS and to the general area
where there is heavy construction for I-269.

Afterwards we can see other sights and projects around Memphis\
northern Mississippi, there is also alot of tourist stuff to do (of
course Graceland) and "road geek worthy" stuff too. The tentative
dates I am looking at are the following-

Saturday March 17

Saturday March 31

Saturday April 14

Saturday April 21

I am leaning towards the March dates but any of these dates are fine.
Any feedback please let me know. This will be the first meet ever held
in Memphis, TN

Jason Ilyes

JPI

Lebanon, TN

Home of the Barrel

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

March 31 and April 14 work best for me. I'll be working the other two weekends.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

The March dates are out for me.

On the 17th, I'll be as far away as you can be from Memphis and still be in Tennessee.  In other words, I'll be in Bristol, TN attending the NASCAR races that weekend.

I probably won't be available on the 31st as my brother has to be out of his apartment by that date.

But, the 14th and the 21st of April look good for now.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

bugo

I won't be going because I want to avoid drama, but Memphis is a little far for me to drive anyway.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on January 21, 2012, 01:26:48 AM
I won't be going because I want to avoid drama, but Memphis is a little far for me to drive anyway.

Don't let my tentative schedule stop you from coming if you want. I'm doubtful for any date besides March 17.

Besides, we'd be fine if we were both there. Remind me to tell the story about two antagonists who'd really been into it wandering off together to climb a hill at a bridge construction site at a meet I hosted a few years ago. I thought it might be "two go up, one comes down" but everything went off well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Thanks guys, keep the feed back coming. I am starting to narrow it down a little to 3/31 or the April dates minus easter weekend of course.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

I might be able to give you a ride if you can make this far ;)

bugo

Quote from: US71 on January 21, 2012, 02:57:52 PM

I might be able to give you a ride if you can make this far ;)

I can't attend anyway.  I hafta work that day.  I could take some paid time off, but I'd rather use that for visiting family and sick days and what not.

codyg1985

I think to settle on a date 3/31 would work best, but theoretically any date should work fine for me.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jpi

Ok, based on everyones feed back, I have the dates for the Memphis meet narrowed down to either March 30 or April 13, Also I know there is\ was interest in meeting up to see the damaged bridge on US 68 in KY so I do not want to cause a conflict with this. I am still looking at haveing the meet at Huey's in Cordova (east side of Memphis) The meet would start at 11:00pm for lunch and catching up with each other then proceed on the tour which includes TN-385 Future I-269 construction down to northern Mississippi and maybe check out other road worthy projects are around Memphis, maybe even touristy stuff. Keep the feedback coming guys, I will set an officail announcment later this month on here and facebook.

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home of the Barrel
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

The March date probably won't work unless my mother-in-law doesn't have her knee replacement. The April date is questionable.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

mightyace

My brother is definitely moving out of his apartment at the end of March so that not available for me.

Mid-April may work, but I just remembered that it is near the IRS tax deadline and my employer has a big IRS contract.  It's possible, at least if I bring my work laptop with me.

Anyway, are March 30 and April 13 the correct dates or do you mean 3/31 and 4/14.  The 30th and the 13th are Fridays while the 31st and the 14th are Saturdays.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

US71

Any plans for a "meet & greet" on Friday?

Darkchylde

Any of those dates would be pushing it, and if I could go, it would probably only be for one day. Money. Is. TIGHT, gas is expensive, and I'm stuck with my only running vehicle being a SUV, so even coming from NOLA may be prohibitively expensive.

jpi

Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2012, 10:50:36 PM
Any plans for a "meet & greet" on Friday?
If I can get the Friday off of work yes, BTW I have the date narrowed down, its very much looking like April 14, I will post a full announcment in the next 24 to 48 hours on here, facebook and yahoo groups.

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home of the Barrel

Post Merge: February 07, 2012, 11:02:15 PM

Quote from: mightyace on February 03, 2012, 09:05:17 PM
My brother is definitely moving out of his apartment at the end of March so that not available for me.

Mid-April may work, but I just remembered that it is near the IRS tax deadline and my employer has a big IRS contract.  It's possible, at least if I bring my work laptop with me.

Anyway, are March 30 and April 13 the correct dates or do you mean 3/31 and 4/14.  The 30th and the 13th are Fridays while the 31st and the 14th are Saturdays.

Sorry Andy, I meant 3/31 and 4/14 BTW I think 4/14 is going to work best, that seems to be the popular vote from everyone and that gives me 2 more moths to plan and the weather will be nicer and warmer then.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Looks like the April 28 date is the winner! :)

When:    Saturday April 28, 2012
Where:  Huey's Blue's, Brews and Burgers Cordova, TN Exit 16 I-40 and TN 177 North Germantown  Parkway

http://hueyburger.com/

We will meet at Huey's at 11:00pm for lunch and socializing. After wards our tour will focus on the future I-269 construction on the eastern side of Shelby County, TN and northern Mississippi. We travel east on I-40 to TN 385 (future I-269) and travel along this corridor south, mainly along TN 205 and view the construction taking place, there are several vantage points along the way for us to view the construction all the way into northern MS. After wards we can check out other road worthy places like the I-69 freeway near Tunica and the Crump BLVD interchange on i-55 which is slated for a major overhaul. Also there is Sam Cooper BLVD which was originally going to be I-40 through downtown Memphis. Besides roads there is allot of tourist stuff to do such as Beale St and of course Graceland and the Memphis waterfront.

This will also be a meet of firsts, first meet ever held in Memphis and the first meet I have hosted. Mark your calenders for Saturday 4/14! There is also plenty of lodging in this area and is close to one of the largest malls in west TN. If you all have any questions, comments or any other ideas to add please let me know. :-) I will also be sending out an event notification on face book The directions to Huy's is Exit 16 (TN 177 Germantown PKWY) go south on TN 177 a mile and a half, Hueys is on the right just before Dexter Rd.

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home of the Barrel
:cool:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Barring any last minute changes to my schedule, I should be there.

jpi

Great to hear US71! There is also an event for this posted on facebook.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

agentsteel53

don't forget to check out the two 1948-spec US-78 shields which remain on mainline US-78 eastbound.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 09, 2012, 10:05:49 AM
don't forget to check out the two 1948-spec US-78 shields which remain on mainline US-78 eastbound.

SWEET!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Darkchylde

If I find a way to make it, it's likely even I won't know until I'm out the door.

jpi

Thanks for the pic, I will keep that in mind!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alex

And if anyone wants to check out Sam Cooper Boulevard, there's still a set of black/white guide signs near the west end.

jpi

Quote from: Alex on February 09, 2012, 03:32:00 PM

And if anyone wants to check out Sam Cooper Boulevard, there's still a set of black/white guide signs near the west end.
Thanks for the pic. I did mention about Sam Cooper BLVD in the meet announcment, I have not even been on Sam Cooper myself, just all of the interstates and some at grade boulavards. Also been to the zoo too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.