News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old songs you can't identify

Started by bandit957, November 04, 2019, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Remember any old songs on the radio that you can't identify now?

I remember one in the late '70s that I always called "The Backwards Song" because it sounded like the music they used in the 'Sesame Street' segment where a man walks backwards through a city. For the life of me, I can't identify the real title or artist of this song, so it probably wasn't a very big hit. I also remember a Styx-like song where the first line is something about "the 21st century", but I can't identify it either.

There were some songs I pretty much gave up on identifying but then was able to identify them later.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

roadman65

There is one that sounds similar to Sunday Morning by Maroon 5 that was in the late 60's or early 70's.  In fact I thought that Sunday Morning was a cover of it, but it's not.  Its just similar to it, but sounds like it IMO.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

I have a lot of these.  My dad used to record airings of The Midnight Special public radio program onto cassette tape, and we often listened to them on road trips.  There are countless songs from those tapes that pop into my head every so often that I have a dickens of a time identifying online, because so many were little-known songs before the advent of the internet as we know it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on November 04, 2019, 10:56:29 PM
I also remember a Styx-like song where the first line is something about "the 21st century", but I can't identify it either.

Are you sure you weren't simply mistaken and that it's not actually "Edge of the Century"?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2019, 02:10:23 PM
I also remember a Styx-like song where the first line is something about "the 21st century", but I can't identify it either.

Are you sure you weren't simply mistaken and that it's not actually "Edge of the Century"?

This was 1978 or 1979. I'm pretty sure Q-102 in Cincinnati regularly played it.

GCrites

^I know what song you're talking about but can't think of the name or band. There's an internet station that I listen to where I hear it about once a month. I'll try to catch the name next time I hear it.

bandit957

Another one I remember is a song with a line about "dirty water." This was probably in the '70s, so it was not the '80s song "Dirty Water" that MTV played.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: bandit957 on November 06, 2019, 12:01:10 AM
Another one I remember is a song with a line about "dirty water." This was probably in the '70s, so it was not the '80s song "Dirty Water" that MTV played.

Are we talking about the song that we Red Sox (and Bruins) fans love to hear at the end of a game: Dirty Water by The Standells?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bandit957

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 06, 2019, 12:15:54 AM
Are we talking about the song that we Red Sox (and Bruins) fans love to hear at the end of a game: Dirty Water by The Standells?

I heard this on YouTube, and that's not the one.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 06, 2019, 12:15:54 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on November 06, 2019, 12:01:10 AM

Correct regarding that song being sung by the Standells.  Such dates back to 1966.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brian556

There a song that sounds like its from the 60's. Its title may or may not be "Counting Down the Days". It has a R&B/Pop sound

kevinb1994

Quote from: Brian556 on November 15, 2019, 03:34:14 PM
There a song that sounds like its from the 60's. Its title may or may not be "Counting Down the Days". It has a R&B/Pop sound
You mean that one by the Kinks?

Brian556

Quote from: Brian556 on November 15, 2019, 03:34:14 PM

Found it. It's called "Picikin' Up The Pieces" by Fitz And The Tantrums. Its from 2010, but sounds like its from the late 60's or early 70's. Excellent sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0abrddw_so4

bandit957

Anyone remember this one? "Doo doo doo doo doo...Doo doo doo doo doo...BOING!" It was a dance hit in the early '90s that got a little bit of airplay.

texaskdog

Remember any old songs on the radio that you can't identify now?

I remember one in the late '70s that I always called "The Backwards Song" because it sounded like the music they used in the 'Sesame Street' segment where a man walks backwards through a city. For the life of me, I can't identify the real title or artist of this song, so it probably wasn't a very big hit. I also remember a Styx-like song where the first line is something about "the 21st century", but I can't identify it either.

There were some songs I pretty much gave up on identifying but then was able to identify them later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dECPWpAlgaU  Sunny day sweeping the clouds away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrsIX-OajaY

bandit957

I thought of another one I've been trying to identify for years. It was a female modern rock song around 1996. The chorus went, "Crazy..." The few times they played this on the radio, they never identified it.

roadman

Quote from: bandit957 on March 12, 2021, 06:02:32 PM
I thought of another one I've been trying to identify for years. It was a female modern rock song around 1996. The chorus went, "Crazy..." The few times they played this on the radio, they never identified it.

"Crazy Over You" by Heart perhaps.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

renegade

Quote from: roadman on March 14, 2021, 12:29:52 PM

It's "Crazy On You", and it's from more like 1976 ...
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman on March 14, 2021, 12:29:52 PM

Maybe you're thinking of Crazy by Knarls Barkley.  Cee-Lo does have quite the falsetto.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bandit957

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 14, 2021, 01:41:33 PM
Maybe you're thinking of Crazy by Knarls Barkley.  Cee-Lo does have quite the falsetto.

It definitely wasn't that.

mgk920

This is why, hands down, Shazam is the **VERY BEST** and most useful cell/smart phone app ever devised!

:nod:

Mike

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

One that keeps bugging me is this song with a very loud computerized wah-wah-esque intro. I hear it fairly frequently at sporting events.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bandit957

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 14, 2021, 04:21:10 PM
One that keeps bugging me is this song with a very loud computerized wah-wah-esque intro. I hear it fairly frequently at sporting events.

Probably "Rock & Roll (Part 2)" by Gary Glitter. It was a big hit in the 1970s.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 04:22:56 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 14, 2021, 04:21:10 PM

Probably "Rock & Roll (Part 2)" by Gary Glitter. It was a big hit in the 1970s.

It's not that.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.