News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Funny Signs

Started by haljackey, February 05, 2009, 01:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Ya know, there is a SPEED HUMP on a street that is in walking distance of me!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

deathtopumpkins

Yeah those SPEED HUMPs are pretty common... we have them around here... Same with the dog one and the trespassing one.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

un1

In Ontario they are called Speed Bumps.  :-P
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

mightyace

Quote from: un1 on February 08, 2009, 09:00:58 PM

Speed Bumps and Speed Humps are actually two different things.

Speed bumps are the more common short, high bumps often used in parking lots that try to restrict maximum speed to 5-15 mph. (8-24 kph)

Speed humps are similar but the bumps (humps?) are longer and lower and restrict speed to 20-30 mph (32 - 48 kph)  In Nashville, TN, they are used on residential through streets where the Metro government is trying to control speed.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Michael

This was a few posts ago:

It doesn't say "NO U-TURN", so you're safe  :D .

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

I remember reading about Connecticut highways on www.kurumi.com and Kurumi had noted that on I-95 in CT a VMS was hacked by some kid. The VMS said "You all suck." The kid said there was no password on the system...

http://img.moonbuggy.org/some-asshole-talking-on-his-cell-phone-got-creamed/ - Couldn't find an image to post; check the link.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alex

Quote from: un1 on February 08, 2009, 09:00:58 PM

They also have "SPEED LUMPS" in Mobile, AL.

Alps

There are a couple on my VA 136/Alberta page (www.alpsroads.net/roads/va/va_136) - Road Ends .01 mile and End State Maintenance on the tiniest little stub of a dead-end you've ever seen.  You really can't tell without those signs?

Voyager

I remember some kind of backwards sign in CA, doesn't anyone else remember this?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

Anyone remember when a road crew in Sacramento misspelled the world STOP as "SOTP"?

http://www.kcra.com/news/16578641/detail.html

Voyager

Sadly I could expect that.

Sykotyk

SSOWorld

Quote from: Sykotyk on February 25, 2009, 12:29:14 PM
http://www.sykotyk.com/supertrip/IMG_0151.JPG

Biloxi, MS in January, 2007.

Sykotyk

:no:

Is that going east? :-P

Definitely not hurricane related  :-D ;-)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

haljackey

No such thing as a "HUMP" here lol.  Just sounds funny!   :-D

More I say!

HAMMER TIME!   :pan:

deathtopumpkins

I don't get what's funny about this one... :|
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1028/539270100_aaa77e070e.jpg?v=0
They use that fairly often on cloverleaves, just usually in reverse, as that's the shape of the ramp. I assume that one is on a switchback in the mountains, in which place it would make perfect sense.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

haljackey

I still think its petty crazy a sign.

Wouldn't you rather put up 3 road curve signs instead or something?

BTW, above post edited now.  You couldn't see all the images before.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: haljackey on February 25, 2009, 07:25:26 PM
I still think its petty crazy a sign.

Wouldn't you rather put up 3 road curve signs instead or something?

I don't see the point of that. Instead of using 3 signs, this uses one, and is often found in situations where it is a really tight curve (thus the 15 mph), so instead of putting up 3 curve signs right after each other, they just combine them into one.

Duke87

Quote from: haljackey on February 25, 2009, 07:19:24 PM
HAMMER TIME!

It's fairly common for vandals to spraypaint that on stop signs. I know I saw one in some odd corner of New Canaan, CT (of all places) once, and countless pictures of others are out there on the internet. 

In the same vein although less common, you have this (Stamford, CT):

Another creative vandalized "fixing" of a sign (also Stamford):

(should say "Push button for green light")
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mapman

In Santa Cruz, CA, where I grew up, people used to draw on surfboards to pedestrian crossing signs, to make it look like the stick pedestrian was carrying a surfboard.  Unfortunately, the city has replaced all of those signs. 

I also like the speed reduction signs that are used in Sunnyvale, CA.  They use phrases like "Mr. Speeder, meet Mr. Traffic Cop", which were located on top of a drawing of a police car.  I'll take some pictures of them the next time I'm in that area.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Voyager

Wonder what it was before that!

bugo

There's a sign in Poteau, OK, pointing to Pansy Kidd Middle School.  I don't have a photo of it, but it's visible on Street View at http://tinyurl.com/djtz5e

This sign replaced a sign using a more traditional FHWA font.

ComputerGuy

vdeane

1. Looks like you can go both north and south on US 9W!  :wow:
2. This arrow points to a small parking lot.  There is a street nearby that NY 218 turns on to, but it's hidden by a building and is nearly invisible.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.