News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Describe the plot of a movie

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 04, 2022, 05:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: formulanone on May 05, 2022, 03:37:39 PMImmigrant crash-lands in Kansas without documents, works for out-of-date media, ignores FAA airspace restrictions, alters time clock, and is hailed as hero.

Town where said immigrant grows up features as an example destination in (real) KDOT signing plans.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

Young man accidentally drives car too fast, after which he saves his father from being hit by a car and causes his mother to fall in love with him instead.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2022, 03:24:29 PM
The main character's parents are disappointed in their son because of the way he looks, so he changes his appearance in order to fit in, then runs away from home.  When he later returns, those who had scoffed at him are apologetic.  An influential old man finds him useful at a critical juncture in his business, which immediately prompts everyone else to hail him as a hero instead of a freak.

Moral of the story:  your self-worth depends on the opinions of others and how able you are to be used by them.

Hint:  this one is stop-motion animated.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

Unreliable, irresponsible father sabotages ex-wife's new relationship with an otherwise decent guy while cross-dressing as an old woman to defy court order regarding custody of their children; is somehow the hero of the story.

-Mrs. Doubtfire.

A decent guy courting a divorced mother of one is harassed by her unreliable, irresponsible ex-husband who somehow wins over the ex-wife and child with a single, reckless gesture that endangers hundreds of lives and violates serious federal laws at a major commercial airport. 

-Liar, Liar
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 05, 2022, 03:43:56 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 05, 2022, 03:37:39 PMImmigrant crash-lands in Kansas without documents, works for out-of-date media, ignores FAA airspace restrictions, alters time clock, and is hailed as hero.

Town where said immigrant grows up features as an example destination in (real) KDOT signing plans.

Oooh, now I know this one. :popcorn:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2022, 04:00:15 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2022, 03:24:29 PM
The main character's parents are disappointed in their son because of the way he looks, so he changes his appearance in order to fit in, then runs away from home.  When he later returns, those who had scoffed at him are apologetic.  An influential old man finds him useful at a critical juncture in his business, which immediately prompts everyone else to hail him as a hero instead of a freak.

Moral of the story:  your self-worth depends on the opinions of others and how able you are to be used by them.

Hint:  this one is stop-motion animated.

Monsters that swim poorly can be fooled by pork sandwiches.

triplemultiplex

Some sci-fi selections:

Effort to colonize a habitable planet is thwarted because a species that is capable of interstellar space travel and building energy weapons apparently let their anti-virus subscription lapse.
Also they just let in a lost space ship of theirs that's been missing for 50 years without question.
And it really seems like their big city-killing weapon would work just as well from orbit as it does within range of enemy weapons.

The tragic story of a group of aliens who are likely being forced to try and colonize a planet that is almost completely covered with a horrifically caustic chemical compound.  It's the only explanation for why they would even come close to Earth and start knocking over Mel Gibson's corn.

Stranded on a hostile alien planet, one individual is held captive by several members of an indigenous species, is forced to subsist on meager, sometimes toxic food and nearly dies during an escape attempt.  Rescue is only possible by manipulating several juveniles into helping.

Scott5114

Another sci-fi one:

A space alien demands an audience with an extinct sea creature, forcing a band of fugitives wanted for grand theft spaceship to abuse the laws of physics to visit San Francisco during the Reagan administration. While there, the fugitives split up, with one group attempting to hoodwink a scientist into giving up custody of two sea creatures; an engineer, a pilot, and a doctor build a really big aquarium; and a Russian and a telephone operator violate the national security of the United States. Eventually, having captured the two sea creatures, they abuse the laws of physics again to deliver them to the space alien. The fugitives are captured and, as punishment, their ringleader is given his dream job.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dlsterner

Romantic love story involving an insurance salesman from Georgia and a rugged outdoorsman.

abefroman329

formulanone

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 05, 2022, 05:00:34 PM
Also they just let in a lost space ship of theirs that's been missing for 50 years without question.

As murderous teddy bears can be tricked by deity impersonation, old codes can still check out to humans.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 05, 2022, 05:00:34 PM
Some sci-fi selections:

Effort to colonize a habitable planet is thwarted because a species that is capable of interstellar space travel and building energy weapons apparently let their anti-virus subscription lapse.
And it really seems like their big city-killing weapon would work just as well from orbit as it does within range of enemy weapons.

The tragic story of a group of aliens who are likely being forced to try and colonize a planet that is almost completely covered with a horrifically caustic chemical compound.  It's the only explanation for why they would even come close to Earth and start knocking over Mel Gibson's corn.

Stranded on a hostile alien planet, one individual is held captive by several members of an indigenous species, is forced to subsist on meager, sometimes toxic food and nearly dies during an escape attempt.  Rescue is only possible by manipulating several juveniles into helping.

Everyone knows the legend of Mac and Me, you couldn't possibly be describing any other "lesser"  known movie.   :D

kphoger

A man visits New York City and spends a very long time doing almost nothing.   :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kurumi

Single mom in a rural town struggles to raise twins after the biological father skips town.

One son is quite precocious and becomes an avid reader, though he develops some strange night-time habits, and is curious about the nature of his father. The other twin has to be kept out of sight and locked in a barn.

Tragically, the smarter son is caught breaking into a university library to steal a rare book, and is then torn apart by guard dogs. Then the other twin breaks free of its room and goes on a murderous rampage, before being cornered atop a hill and defeated. Its last words are a plea to its absent father.

The Dunwich Horror, premiering Thursday on Lifetime. (There was actually a 1970 film adaptation of this story.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

triplemultiplex

Disaffected yuppie whines about his privileged, comfortable life and starts a vicious terrorist cult bent on anarchy in the pursuit of some fantasy about masculinity.
The point of the film will be missed by most of the dude-bros watching.

Max Rockatansky

A pastor on a soul searching journey is accidentally cut by an enchanted tooth and becomes a dinosaur when angered.  He's convinced by a hooker to use his dinosaur powers to fight crime and ninjas.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2022, 06:39:44 PM
A man visits New York City and spends a very long time doing almost nothing.   :biggrin:

By the way, this one was The Terminal.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2022, 04:53:28 PM

Huh, I figured it was I Am Legend.

I have never seen I Am Legend.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 11, 2022, 04:56:22 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2022, 04:53:28 PM

Huh, I figured it was I Am Legend.

I have never seen I Am Legend.

He does plenty in that one while in New York City.  I prefer the alternate ending which was in line with the book.

JayhawkCO

Two men form a friendship over fast food. They also bond by washing a car. Later on, one of the men throws a party with balloons alongside his boss' wife, which nearly goes very wrong.  Near the end of the movie, after retrieving some lost luggage, the men persuade another couple to give up a life of crime by offering them a wallet.

abefroman329

Takumi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 11, 2022, 05:01:10 PM
Two men form a friendship over fast food. They also bond by washing a car. Later on, one of the men throws a party with balloons alongside his boss' wife, which nearly goes very wrong.  Near the end of the movie, after retrieving some lost luggage, the men persuade another couple to give up a life of crime by offering them a wallet.

One of the men decides to change careers after retrieving the luggage, and ends up making the right decision by doing so.

Also, The Continental from 90s SNL talks about some war flashbacks.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 10:43:50 PM
The movie opens upon the backdrop of an unmanned German appearing American town where we are introduced to our protagonist Mr. Bucket.  As Mr. Bucket has concluded his working day...

I'm still intrigued by the apparent subscription-based model of The Candyman's Store, for which Charlie is seemingly denied entry.

I had to read this five times to get it.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

Quote from: formulanone on May 12, 2022, 06:42:46 AM

I had to read this five times to get it.

That was the plan. :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.