News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kentucky style gantries outside of Kentucky.

Started by roadman65, June 12, 2022, 07:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52140760850/in/dateposted-public/

I've seen plenty of them around but this one in Pensacola is one the many seen.

The specific nature of the truss style post that I have found use the most in Kentucky, but randomly in other markets.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

You're going to have to be more specific about what you consider "Kentucky style" about that gantry if you want this thread to attract other examples.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2022, 05:02:39 PM
You're going to have to be more specific about what you consider "Kentucky style" about that gantry if you want this thread to attract other examples.

Especially since it's not Kentucky to begin with.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

Kentucky-style like an erector set.  Photo (in Kentucky) by alpsroads.

Scott5114

Yeah, that's what I thought he meant, too, but it's also a butterfly-style gantry. You don't see those very often (I think because they're hard to engineer to stand up safely), so it's entirely possible he's looking for those.

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2022, 09:38:46 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought he meant, too, but it's also a butterfly-style gantry. You don't see those very often (I think because they're hard to engineer to stand up safely), so it's entirely possible he's looking for those.

Exactly.

Pardon my use of Kentucky, but in my travels I've seen them the most used in the Bluegrass State.  Didn't know what to call them, but the phrase fits like Michigan Lefts which are not limited to that particular state or the u turn ramp above or under the freeway called a TexasU Turn.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wriddle082

I have mainly seen them in Arkansas statewide, and a couple of rare instances in both North Carolina and South Carolina.  The NC one was on I-40 at US 25 in Asheville heading westbound, and in SC I have seen them on I-26 at US 29 in Spartanburg and on I-85 at US 276 in Greenville.  In all three Carolinas locations, the interchanges are ancient full or partial cloverleafs with little to no modifications made over the years, so the gantries could very well be original.

TheGrassGuy

Please don't misconstrue this comment as Kentuckyphobia, but if you wanna be honest with me... these are ugly.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

ethanhopkin14

There used to be a lot of them in the Corpus Christi area in Texas.  Here is one. 

PurdueBill

Scott5114

thenetwork

And as far as the full length overhead gantries, Kentucky by and large uses the same design as the basic gantries found in Illinois.  Their vertical structures I've always called the John Hancock Tower design as they look like that particular skyscraper in Chicago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.