News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Auto Correct

Started by roadman65, June 15, 2022, 03:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2022, 09:37:30 AM
Are you swiping to text?  Back when I had a phone with swipe-to-text, I never bothered to swipe my finger across the punctuation key for apostrophes.  I just trusted the app to know when the word would need an apostrophe.  So, basically, my app "correcting" ill to I'll is precisely what I expected it to do 99% of the time.  In fact, it would have been rather annoying if it didn't.

No, actually I don't text much and when I do it's the hard way, multiple presses on the 10-key pad to make letters.  My most common text is something like:  "Can u call me when you got a min?"  But my errors and my deliberate ignoring of punctuation rules are my own.

hbelkins

Siri has issues with my hillbilly accent. I have to double-check anything I dictate to make sure the phone understood me correctly. And woe be unto me if I speak the word "ice" into the phone, because it always comes out "ass."

I don't know if the "Damn You Auto Correct" site is still active or not, but I used to read some of the aggregate postings from it aloud to my wife, and both of us would nearly be in tears from laughter during the process.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Spell correct also can be oblivious to certain words like " environment."   I had to go to a paper dictionary to find the spelling of it cause entering any forms of letter arrangement that should have made it obvious to the algorithm  made the crazy program totally ignorant.  IMO it should have figured out what I was attempting.

Then "really" to "realm"  on my phone was more annoying than trying to write Pasco, a proper name and incorporated County in Florida on the same device.  Yes Pasco County got changed to something else regardless.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Autocorrect needs to change "should of" to "should have" for people who either don't know the correct spelling or who are unwilling to use it.

Regarding Siri, I was dictating a message once and I used the word "hoops," as in basketball. Somehow, Siri decided I said "poops," which made no sense in context.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

zachary_amaryllis

I use the voice-to-text thingie on my android.

Attempted to send to mom: "What is this moisture coming from the sky?"
What got sent: "What is this moisture coming from this guy?"
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2022, 08:24:46 PM
Siri has issues with my hillbilly accent. I have to double-check anything I dictate to make sure the phone understood me correctly. And woe be unto me if I speak the word "ice" into the phone, because it always comes out "ass."

I think I've noted this before, but "ice" in a hillbilly accent and "ass" in a Pacific Northwest accent really do sound identical. Both sound like "ahh-s", which is amusing to hear regardless of what the person is intending to say.  :-D

That isn't how I would pronounce either word (or any other word, for that matter) - but it's interesting how two words with no obvious resemblance sound so similar in different accents.

webny99

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 18, 2022, 10:43:23 AM
Attempted to send to mom: "What is this moisture coming from the sky?"
What got sent: "What is this moisture coming from this guy?"

Ha, that's definitely one of the funnier autocorrect stories I've heard! :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.