News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cases where one state DOT maintains something else in another state

Started by codyg1985, October 21, 2011, 07:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

I have noticed that TDOT maintains ITS infrastructure not only in Shelby County, TN, but also along I-40 and I-55 in Crittenden County, AR. TDOT maintains cameras, VMSs, and those "Tune into Radio Station AM xxxx when flashing" signs there.

Is there any other case where an outside DOT maintains something in another state?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

vdeane

NY maintains a couple of freeways that dip into other states (I-684 CT and NY 17 PA).  I-15 in AZ is maintained by Utah.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

MnDOT maintains the half-mile or so of MN 23 that dips into the northwest corner of Wisconsin.

I believe NYSDOT maintains the stretch of I-684 that dips into Connecticut, but I'm not 100% on that.

Technically, the Maryland Transportation Authority maintains the short bit of the US 301 Nice Bridge and approach that's on the Virginia side of the riverbank (everything from mean low tide on the Virginia side east is considered Maryland).

corco

The little piece of US-191 on the west side of Yellowstone in Wyoming is maintained by Montana.
Wyoming 70 is maintained by Wyoming where it dips into Colorado

QuoteI-15 in AZ is maintained by Utah.

No it's not- the presence of state-named shields would be the first clue, as is the AZ style signage and "Veterans Memorial Highway" designation

NE2

Kentucky maintains the entirety of the bridges that extend into Ohio. Thus US 25 ends in Cincinnati despite not being maintained by Ohio.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on October 21, 2011, 10:22:20 AM
Kentucky maintains the entirety of the bridges that extend into Ohio. Thus US 25 ends in Cincinnati despite not being maintained by Ohio.

Not entirely true. Ohio maintains the US 23 bridge, and if I am not mistaken, the Ironton-Russell bridge.

In another Kentucky example, West Virginia maintains the two portions of US 52/US 119 that cross into Kentucky north of Williamson.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on October 21, 2011, 10:19:55 AM

QuoteI-15 in AZ is maintained by Utah.

No it's not- the presence of state-named shields would be the first clue, as is the AZ style signage and "Veterans Memorial Highway" designation

it is a crew out of St. George which does the actual work, but the contracts are all laid out to Arizona specification. 

another Arizona example: AZ-95 is signed in Needles, CA on green signs that are clearly of Arizona manufacture.  in fact, the easiest way to trace the route of AZ-95 is to take the bridge across into Needles, then south onto I-40, then back into Arizona where AZ-95 breaks off at exit 9.

so, in its own special way, there is an AZ-95/US-95 multiplex ... in California.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

VDOT maintains the entirety of the US 29/US 58 interchange in Danville, even though half of it is in North Carolina. They also maintain the first half mile or so of US 29 entering North Carolina.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

newyorker478

Parts of NY-120A dip into Greenwich, CT, however the road is entirely NYSDOT maintained and signed, less one erroneous CT-120A shield at the Merritt Parkway exit.

Jim

If we're willing to extend to Canada, here are a couple more.  The Klondike Highway section that cuts through BC to connect with Alaska Route 98 is maintained by the Yukon.  Same is true of the sections of the Alaska Highway south/west of Watson Lake that dip back down into BC.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

1995hoo

I believe Virginia and Maryland maintain the smidgen of I-95 that passes through DC on the Wilson Bridge (though of course DC is a territory rather than a state).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

HazMatt

Georgia maintains both small sections of GA 246 that cross into NC.

ghYHZ

How 'bout one country maintaining a section of road in another. In winter, Fort Fairfield, Maine plows a section of road in New Brunswick as the driveways of the US residents open onto the NB road.

(third paragraph.....)

http://www.avcc.ca/FFJournal.PDF

sp_redelectric

Oregon DOT maintains the U.S. 101 (Astoria-Megler), I-5 (Interstate), I-205 (Glenn Jackson), U.S. 197 (The Dalles), and I-82 (McNary) Bridges across the Washington-Oregon state line.  Due to recent bridge work on the Astoria-Megler bridge one can find quite a few ODOT construction signs and ARRA signs on SR 4 and U.S. 101 on the Washington side.  The obvious sign is of course Oregon's "Speed, not Limit" signs on the bridge, however I believe ODOT has replaced the signs on I-205 with the universal "Speed Limit" signs.  There, the obvious reference to Oregon's jurisdiction is that the speed limit drops from 60 to 55 before you get on the bridge (the I-5 bridge is already at a reduced 50 MPH speed limit.)

WSDOT maintains the SR 433 (Lewis & Clark) and U.S. 97 (Sam Hill) Bridges.  "Washingon Jobs Now" signs could be seen on the western approach to the bridge while still on Oregon soil.

The Cathlamet Ferry is owned/operated by Wahkiakum County (WA).  The Bridge of the Gods is owned/operated by the Port of Cascade Locks (OR).  The Hood River Bridge is owned/operated by the Port of Hood River (OR).  And the Columbia Gorge Regional Airport (a.k.a. The Dalles Municipal Airport), despite being located in Dallesport, WA, is partially owned by the City of The Dalles (OR) and Klickatat County (WA).

Michael in Philly

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 22, 2011, 11:23:07 AM
I believe Virginia and Maryland maintain the smidgen of I-95 that passes through DC on the Wilson Bridge (though of course DC is a territory rather than a state).

I thought the whole bridge was federal, for precisely that reason (the weird geography).
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

mukade

Similar to Ohio, Indiana maintains the I-64 and SR 237 bridges over the Ohio River. Because the state line is the high water mark of the north bank of the river when Kentucky was made a state, these are better examples than the ones maintained by Kentucky.

1995hoo

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 24, 2011, 02:15:20 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 22, 2011, 11:23:07 AM

I thought the whole bridge was federal, for precisely that reason (the weird geography).

I believe that was true of the old bridge but not of the new spans.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SteveG1988

Technicaly 95% of the delaware memorial bridge is in delaware due to the odd border. Low tide in NJ is the border in that area. Once you are half way up the approaches and over water...you are in delaware. It is operated by the DRBA a Bi State authority due to that reason.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

ClarkE

Kentucky maintains the I-65 bridge in Louisville, and Indiana maintains the I-64 bridge, even though most of both bridges are in Kentucky, since the state line is close to the Indiana shoreline

froggie

Quote from: 1995hoo
Quote from: Michael in Philly

Correct.  FHWA owned the old bridge.  VDOT and MD SHA own the new bridge, and in my experience (considerable, since it's my daily commute route) most of the maintenance is done by SHA.

oscar

Quote from: sp_redelectric on October 24, 2011, 12:41:47 AM
Oregon DOT maintains the U.S. 101 (Astoria-Megler), I-5 (Interstate), I-205 (Glenn Jackson), U.S. 197 (The Dalles), and I-82 (McNary) Bridges across the Washington-Oregon state line.  Due to recent bridge work on the Astoria-Megler bridge one can find quite a few ODOT construction signs and ARRA signs on SR 4 and U.S. 101 on the Washington side.  The obvious sign is of course Oregon's "Speed, not Limit" signs on the bridge, however I believe ODOT has replaced the signs on I-205 with the universal "Speed Limit" signs.  There, the obvious reference to Oregon's jurisdiction is that the speed limit drops from 60 to 55 before you get on the bridge (the I-5 bridge is already at a reduced 50 MPH speed limit.)

On one of my 2008 road trips, I saw several ODOT-spec speed limit signs in an Idaho construction zone near the border.  But I'd assumed that the work was being done by an Oregon-based contractor, which had only Oregon-spec signs in its inventory.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

US71

Arkansas and Oklahoma have some deal with AR43/OK20. The road straddles the state line, but the sign assemblies are mostly Oklahoma (including the little mileage markers on the backs of the stop signs), though it has Benton County, AR County Rd Blade Signs (such as Hog Farm Rd  39 )

US 71 in Texarkana is split: one side is Arkansas signage, the other is Texas , but the traffic signals appear to be predominantly Texas-style (horizontal ) as opposed to Arkansas's vertical
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

I imagine that the DE & MD 54 route along the DE- MD Line is most likely maintained by only one state.
What about State Line Road in the Metro-Kansas City area?  It cannot be maintained by both local or county agencies while the road sits in both states of KS and MO.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beeper1

There is a section of NH 113 that is maintained by Maine where is passes along the ME side of a border-dividing lake.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on October 27, 2011, 12:50:22 PM
Quote from: Michael in Philly

Correct.  FHWA owned the old bridge.  VDOT and MD SHA own the new bridge, and in my experience (considerable, since it's my daily commute route) most of the maintenance is done by SHA.

While I don't frequent the bridge enough to know in detail whose trucks are out there ...

Per the 2001 ownership agreement, Maryland and Virginia share cost of the operation, maintenance and repair of the new bridges 50/50.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.