News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What are your criteria for clinching a highway?

Started by A.J. Bertin, April 18, 2013, 02:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I worry more about deer on interstates and freeways than rural two-lane roads, especially in this area, because the two-lanes require driving at slower speeds.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on April 23, 2013, 11:43:51 PM
I worry more about deer on interstates and freeways than rural two-lane roads, especially in this area, because the two-lanes require driving at slower speeds.

I wouldn't be surprised if one's outlook on that sort of thing is also a locally-specific issue, as around here I don't worry much about deer on Interstates or freeways because said roads are generally large enough, and often (certainly not always) coupled with sound walls, such that there aren't a lot of deer crossing them. That's not to say it never happens, of course; last May on a relatively rural segment of I-66 (between Broad Run and the exit for The Plains, for those who know the road) I saw a deer on the shoulder seemingly waiting for a break in traffic to cross the highway. I worry about them a lot more on the two-lane roads because the trees generally come up a lot closer to the highway and thus often make it harder to see the deer until the last second.

I'm very glad there are no moose around here. We had a near-miss with a huge moose in northern Ontario (near Cochrane) in August 1986 (riding in a 1982 Honda Accord on a gravel road late at night after returning from Moosonee and Moose Factory). I'd be quite happy never to see another moose out a car window.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.