News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How do you upload photos into the forum?

Started by jfs1988, September 13, 2013, 02:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfs1988

When I click Insert Image all I get is [img].

NE2

Upload them somewhere else, like flickr or imgur.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

You can't uploads images directly on AARoads. You have to use a third-party website like, as NE2 mentioned, flickr or imgur, or Photobucket, imageshack, etc.

I'm not an admin, but I do administrate other sites, so I can guess that it's because having an infrastructure that permits the uploading of dozens of road photos, illustrations and plans by dozens of users can get pretty damn expensive pretty quickly.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

1995hoo

For the OP, something else to remember is that it's impractical for the image to be hosted on your own computer because presumably you don't keep it turned on 24/7 and your ISP may reassign you a new IP address from time to time. Hence why you have to upload it somewhere.

I've been reasonably happy with Photobucket, and their iPhone/iPad app is pretty useful because it lets me upload directly from said devices instead of waiting until I get home to sync to my PC. I assume other image-hosting sites probably have apps as well, I just haven't had any reason to investigate. I signed up with Photobucket mainly because a friend recommended it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 15, 2013, 04:05:48 PMFor the OP, something else to remember is that it's impractical for the image to be hosted on your own computer because presumably you don't keep it turned on 24/7 and your ISP may reassign you a new IP address from time to time. Hence why you have to upload it somewhere.

I used to do that, with a computer in my basement turned into a server and a background process updating the DNS's IP periodically. It ran for 8 years with spare parts I had laying around but the motherboard is now toast and a lot of the stuff I uploaded in the past is now unavailable unless I find the time and money to fix it.

I'm currently using Dropbox but I'm afraid I'll fill it up soon.

sammi

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 16, 2013, 09:50:34 AM
the motherboard is now toast and a lot of the stuff I uploaded in the past is now unavailable unless I find the time and money to fix it.

If only the motherboard is broken, I'm pretty sure you could still recover the files from the hard drive. Just open your current computer and connect it there. I did it with our old computer and now I have a fully-functional Windows 98 with all the things I used to use when I was little (not that I use it that much anymore), and all the other things my parents used to run a business with. The only real problem is whether or not your current computer and your hard drive have the same connectors (IDE, SATA, etc).

Dr Frankenstein

Oh, I know that, and I have backups too. I just can't use it as a server anymore, which means that any published URL pointing there is broken indefinitely, even if I re-upload the content elsewhere than my home or a mirror.

1995hoo

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 16, 2013, 09:50:34 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 15, 2013, 04:05:48 PMFor the OP, something else to remember is that it's impractical for the image to be hosted on your own computer because presumably you don't keep it turned on 24/7 and your ISP may reassign you a new IP address from time to time. Hence why you have to upload it somewhere.

I used to do that, with a computer in my basement turned into a server and a background process updating the DNS's IP periodically. It ran for 8 years with spare parts I had laying around but the motherboard is now toast and a lot of the stuff I uploaded in the past is now unavailable unless I find the time and money to fix it.

I'm currently using Dropbox but I'm afraid I'll fill it up soon.

I figured there would be someone here who did that! Hence why I used the word "presumably"!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.