News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Upgraded to Windows 8.1...

Started by Zeffy, November 24, 2013, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 8.1, whenever I browse AARoads on Firefox, there are random occurrences of text and elements on the page literally disappearing. The elements can be 'brought back' if I scroll up and down and then move my cursor around the disappeared stuff and it will appear as I move my cursor. I haven't had this problem on any other sites I visit. This can happen while browsing the forum, or in the midst of typing my post - and the latter is a nuisance.

Anyone else have this issue? This wasn't a problem when I had Windows 8 the day it came out. I would take a screenshot of it happening, but that is dependent on it wanting to happen... like as I type this post. Well, if it happens, I'll provide images, until then, I hope my text description suffices.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sammi

Probably an issue with IE then. I used to browse AARoads on IE on Windows 8, and it was perfectly fine. But after upgrading to 8.1 (Preview), that happens a lot. Same on my Windows Phone. Which is why I usually just use Chrome (or Tapatalk).

(Note to self: upgrade to 8.1 tomorrow at work. :P)

EDIT: I am not a smart girl. >_<

Zeffy

I got an image of that bastard as I typed my post in that 'Roadgeek Dreams' topic... (and now this one)

It literally takes the background and just stretches it over the stuff I want to look at. It just happened as I was typing this topic.

It's really annoying, and at points, it likes to really screw me over.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

theline

Have you checked for a Firefox update? Just askin'.

JREwing78

My usual fix for Firefox issues is to create a new profile:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Back up your bookmarks first!

Zeffy

Quote from: theline on November 24, 2013, 11:58:00 PM
Have you checked for a Firefox update? Just askin'.

My Firefox version is 25.0.1 - which according to Firefox is the latest version.

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 24, 2013, 11:58:19 PM
My usual fix for Firefox issues is to create a new profile:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Back up your bookmarks first!

I'll try that - but I don't understand why this only happens on AARoads and not any other site I visit. (Annnnnnd it just happened again, but this time, it was green and black.)

rickmastfan67

Can't explain that at all.  I'm currently using Windows 7 x64 & FF26b6 and have no such problems.

Maybe one of the addons you have installed in Firefox is causing this.

You could also try to just reset your profile: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

JREwing78

FWIW, I don't have this issue on Windows 8.1/Firefox 25.0.1.

Roadsguy

I was able to access this site on Chrome from 8; perhaps try Chrome? (Note: I used 8, not 8.1, so I'm not sure if this is exclusive to 8.1 or not.)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Dr Frankenstein

As a programmer, I see two scenarios:

Mozilla has been misusing a part of the Windows API (namely, GDI+, since the repainting seems to be broken), relying on undefined behaviour or a side-effect (i.e. not as directed by the documentation), and a change in its implementation in Windows 8.1 exposed the mistake.

- or -

There is a bug in Windows 8.1.

Contrary to popular belief, history has shown that scenario #1 is hugely more common than scenario #2.

Zeffy

So, I made a new profile: nothing happened. I reset Firefox: still nope. This bug is still persisting. It also happened once with Internet Explorer... but IE is fine otherwise. And I think that happened because an iTunes window popped up when I plugged in my iPhone to charge.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Zeffy on November 26, 2013, 02:56:41 PM
So, I made a new profile: nothing happened. I reset Firefox: still nope. This bug is still persisting. It also happened once with Internet Explorer... but IE is fine otherwise. And I think that happened because an iTunes window popped up when I plugged in my iPhone to charge.

Do you have any plugins installed in Firefox? They would survive a new profile/reset.

Have you tried the "Core" theme here on the forums?  The BC theme was based off of it.  If this problem happens in "Core" as well, at least it proves it's not a BC only bug.
Profile > Modify Profile >  Look and Layout >  Current Theme > (change) > select "Core Theme"

Otherwise, I think it's a bug in Firefox that was unearthed with the 8.1 upgrade.  Might want to submit a bug report over @ Firefox's bug report site and post a link here once done.  That is, if you can duplicate this on another SMF forum (the BC theme is based off the theme called "Core").

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.