News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Route Shield Re-Design Contest

Started by DaBigE, February 28, 2014, 12:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

State Route Shield Redesign Theme/Contest

I'm Game
6 (75%)
No, it's stupid and cheesy
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: March 21, 2014, 01:58:08 AM

DaBigE

As an alternative for the artistically talented/trivia-challenged, and given the relative popularity of: Redesigning State Highway Shields (as well as the amount of complaints certain state route shields receive), any thoughts on having some kind of weekly/biweekly design themed design/contest? Each week we could pick a different state to redesign their route shield.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Zeffy

I like this idea. I think we should broaden the spectrum though: contests for designing signs that could be part of future Interstates would be really interesting. However, at the base, your redesigning state highway shields is a great idea.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

good idea.  I agree with Zeffy's expansion proposal, and think we should go with a selection from a broad theme every week.  one week it's just a redesign of a state marker... the next can be "how to do Appalachian Development Corridors without looking like a blue compressed '70-spec dork" or what have you. 

oh hell I'd be amenable to redesigning some of the named scenic/historic trails for a real challenge.  WV's Midland Trail, for example, could use a makeover.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

This is the point at which I really wish I had some Photoshop skills. I've had the perfect idea for a Kentucky route marker makeover but I'm just not good enough at image manipulation to make it happen.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sammi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2014, 11:14:34 AM
This is the point at which I really wish I had some Photoshop skills. I've had the perfect idea for a Kentucky route marker makeover but I'm just not good enough at image manipulation to make it happen.
Using vector graphics software (like Inkscape/Illustrator) is significantly easier. Besides, your design shouldn't be too complex to need Photoshop.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2014, 11:14:34 AM

draw it by hand and take a photo?  or use old-school "photo shop": take some scissors and manipulate a source image that way.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

I like the idea that we judge based on the idea, not the artistic execution. That allows people of all skill levels to compete.

jbnv

Quote from: Alps on February 28, 2014, 06:53:42 PM
I like the idea that we judge based on the idea, not the artistic execution. That allows people of all skill levels to compete.
+1.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.