News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate Smileys

Started by hotdogPi, April 14, 2014, 10:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Can we add Interstate smileys? There would be one for each 1 and 2 digit Interstate. They would be made like :i90: and they would make a miniature version of the Interstate shield.

Maybe, additionally, for each 1 and 2 digit US route (and 101), there could be a smiley, formed like :us20:

They could be shown in the "more smileys" list so they won't be seen every time someone tries to post.

These are smileys only in name. The shields don't actually have faces.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Alps

So... every single highway would have to be coded into a little character. You do that and we'll consider it.

sammi

It might be easier to implement this as a tag. Like [rte=us45] and then we could have a mini-Shield Generator spit it out as (or even just something that links to the Wikipedia image, like I did).

e.g.:
us45:
i80:
il7:

:spin:

Zeffy

Quote from: sammi on April 14, 2014, 11:03:47 PM
It might be easier to implement this as a tag. Like [rte=us45] and then we could have a mini-Shield Generator spit it out as (or even just something that links to the Wikipedia image, like I did).

e.g.:
us45:
i80:
il7:

:spin:

That still involves a hefty amount of work, unless you have some magical code that specifies where all the images are located (in terms of directories) written that doesn't involve a large amount of array lists. I think it could be easy to render a bunch of SVGs in terms of writing a program to output SVG syntax into a .SVG file created at execution, where the program then goes through and creates files for each number in a sequential order. I wouldn't know how to export it into a format such as PNG without opening Inkscape for each and every one of them, and that sounds terrible. And even if you got that to work, you have to implement of those into a BBCode parser for Sammi's idea, or a bunch of smileys in 1's idea.

Bottom line: I don't see this working without a massive effort involved.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sammi

This wasn't serious. :spin:

Quote from: Zeffy on April 15, 2014, 10:29:53 AM
That still involves a hefty amount of work, unless you have some magical code that specifies where all the images are located (in terms of directories) written that doesn't involve a large amount of array lists.
For most states I think you can find the images on Wikipedia (like in my previous post). And it will involve a list of URL prefixes. I don't think there's any way around that. Unless you can rename all the images to follow the same scheme as the name you put in the tag.

Quote from: Zeffy on April 15, 2014, 10:29:53 AM
I wouldn't know how to export it into a format such as PNG without opening Inkscape for each and every one of them, and that sounds terrible.
Command line! But not a lot of people know how.

Again, this wasn't serious. :sombrero:

vdeane

The easiest way would be to keep an organized directory of the shields and dynamically load the right one with a script.  Or link it up with the AA Roads shield generator.  Or do what CHM does and keep a separate graphic for each digit and dynamically put them together.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jbnv

Yes, please add 1500 new smileys for Louisiana's highway system. Don't forget the dashed numbers. :spin:
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Zeffy

Theoretically, if someone made a bunch of shield images, I could write a PHP script that "injects" the smileys into the database through a bunch of SQL commands...

But first you would need someone to make all the images. And that is NOT going to be me.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Thing 342

Quote from: Zeffy on May 15, 2014, 04:22:23 PM
Theoretically, if someone made a bunch of shield images, I could write a PHP script that "injects" the smileys into the database through a bunch of SQL commands...

But first you would need someone to make all the images. And that is NOT going to be me.

SVG shields can be easily generated using a script of some sort. I believe that's how the Wikipedia shield bot works.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Zeffy

Quote from: 1 on May 15, 2014, 04:34:07 PM
Here's a start.

Nononono. I'm talking about someone getting a bunch of shields to I would presume 24x24 size, putting them into a directory hierarchy with the shields named like i95.png. The way my code would work is by looking through files in a directory in the script folder, then taking that smiley's filename for the bbcode. So i95.png would be :i95:.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.