News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Site ads, part deux

Started by Mr. Matté, September 23, 2009, 10:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

I can't find the original thread that talks about the advertisement issues we've had before so I guess have to start a new thread.

Once again, expandable ads are blocking parts of the forum, but unlike last time, they start out expanded, not roll-over to expand.

deathtopumpkins

And again, downloading the Adblock Plus plugin for firefox does wonders.  ;-)

And if you're not using firefox already, that helps too.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Chris

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 23, 2009, 10:41:24 PM
And again, downloading the Adblock Plus plugin for firefox does wonders.  ;-)

Not for the ad revenues of the site owners ;)

deathtopumpkins

They don't still make money off of them if I don't see them?  :-|
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Scott5114

I believe they are paid per click, actually...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 25, 2009, 11:17:51 PM
I believe they are paid per click, actually...
Well i never click on em' unless it's an accident!
BigMatt

deathtopumpkins

So it really doesn't matter then.  :cool:

Alex

I've swapped the ad code out and this should end the expandable ads issue.

BigMattFromTexas

I just had one "talk" to me :wow:
BigMatt

Scott5114

Quote from: BigMatt on September 28, 2009, 07:57:30 PM
BigMatt

I've been getting these too. God, this sucks. Does this ad company not have a setting which is "please don't annoy the hell out of the users"?  :paranoid:

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 02, 2009, 07:37:32 PM
Quote from: BigMatt on September 28, 2009, 07:57:30 PM
BigMatt

I've been getting these too. God, this sucks. Does this ad company not have a setting which is "please don't annoy the hell out of the users"?  :paranoid:

install Flashblock.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

I just installed Adblock Plus. So that takes care of it, but I really don't want any MTR denizen or roadgeek just discovering the community to attempt to use the site and be greeted with that woman with a blood caffeine content of 78% screaming "WELCOME!!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED FOR A MYSTERY GIFT CLICK ON THE BANNER TO SEE WHAT IT IS YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" Actually, I really wish nobody in the world would ever have to hear her voice ever again, because I'm fairly sure it's against the Geneva Convention.

Alex

I believe I can set the preferences to remove audio based ads (my computer is usually muted, so I never hear them). Currently I am having a hard time interacting with their interface, but will keep trying this weekend to get this taken care of.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 02, 2009, 07:43:18 PM
I just installed Adblock Plus. So that takes care of it, but I really don't want any MTR denizen or roadgeek just discovering the community to attempt to use the site and be greeted with that woman with a blood caffeine content of 78% screaming "WELCOME!!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED FOR A MYSTERY GIFT CLICK ON THE BANNER TO SEE WHAT IT IS YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" Actually, I really wish nobody in the world would ever have to hear her voice ever again, because I'm fairly sure it's against the Geneva Convention.

wow, I'm surely missing out on a lot of fun.  hooray ABP!

jake@aaroads.com

florida

:-D @ the Evona(?) ad with the scantily-clad debutante. "Play now." No thanks.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

I've turned off campaigns with automatic audio, auto expandables, and extreme animations. Any other complaints?

agentsteel53

the advertising server at IP address 72.32.124.205 seems to be quite slow.  Anyone else noticing their browser status bar hanging up on "contact 72.32.124.205"?

jake@aaroads.com

rawmustard

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 04, 2009, 04:24:20 PM
the advertising server at IP address 72.32.124.205 seems to be quite slow.  Anyone else noticing their browser status bar hanging up on "contact 72.32.124.205"?
Yep, but I figured that was out of your control, short of going to a different ad provider. :p

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.