Restaurants that name-check another city or state/region

Started by kurumi, February 03, 2020, 12:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on February 03, 2020, 07:46:05 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 03, 2020, 03:59:08 PM
"Buffalo sauce" and "Buffalo wings" are a reference to the place. Thus, Buffalo Wild Wings is a reference to Buffalo, NY due to the transitive property.

Normally I defer to the locals, but not when they invoke the transitive property.  :D
Agreed.  I'd say the test for whether the name of a restaurant refers to the city or not is thus: when someone sees it, are they thinking of the city?  If not, then the name doesn't refer to the city.  If someone sees a restaurant called Buffalo Wild Wings, they're thinking of the sauce, and the city probably hasn't even entered their mind.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on February 03, 2020, 07:02:06 PM
Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2020, 05:45:40 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 03, 2020, 05:18:31 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 03, 2020, 04:05:48 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on February 03, 2020, 04:00:38 PM
Boston Market.

Technically incorrect, as it was originally from the inner Boston metro area.
What.

Founded in Newton, Massachusetts currently HQ'd in Golden, Colorado
Not sure what the point is here, then.  It's named after Boston.

And Newton is inside 128, so it is basically Boston.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cwf1701

In Detroit, there is a number of restaurants that have the "Coney Island" name, which can be a reference to a part of New York City.

US71

Quote from: cwf1701 on February 03, 2020, 10:55:54 PM
In Detroit, there is a number of restaurants that have the "Coney Island" name, which can be a reference to a part of New York City.

There used to be a hotdog chain called "Original Coney Island". Fayetteville, AR had one in the early 1970's in their mall.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

lepidopteran

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Big John on February 03, 2020, 02:27:30 PM
Assuming Jersey Mikes stands for New Jersey.

Their headquarters is in Manasquan, NJ, so most likely.

Their website is strangely devoid of much information about the company, unless you want to know about their rewards program or to become a franchisee.  Usually companies like to talk about their history.

Rothman

Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2020, 11:11:13 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on February 03, 2020, 10:55:54 PM

There used to be a hotdog chain called "Original Coney Island". Fayetteville, AR had one in the early 1970's in their mall.
And then you have the Coney Island Lunch competing restaurants in Scranton, PA.

One guy started it in one location and then turned it over to his sons, who then evidently got into a fight of some sort and one ran off with different business partners and now his successor calls his restaurant the "Original Coney Island" while the other brother's sons run the actual original shop. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Coney Island Drive In which has two Tampa Bay Area locations.  Zephyrhills and Brooksville thousands of miles away from the real Coney Island.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

We have a restaurant in Jackson, MS called Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint. However, everyone just say Sal & Mookie's.

RobbieL2415

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

RobbieL2415

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 12, 2020, 07:53:30 PM
Texas Roadhouse started in Indiana.
Olive Garden "Italian Restaurant" started in Orlando.

Konza

There's a restaurant in Bisbee, Arizona called "Bisbee Breakfast Club".  The rights to the name were purchased and now there are "Bisbee Breakfast Club" restaurants in the Tucson and Phoenix areas.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

jmd41280

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Mr. Matté

kevinb1994

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 25, 2020, 12:39:10 AM
US 27 Farmers Market on NJ Route 27
I question the use of a US 27 shield, looks like some contractor screwed up big time...and for those who know me well enough, I used to live across the street from that shopping plaza! It's the area where I was raised, though not where I was born (that would be New Brunswick-home of Rutgers). Also, Donald Fagen used to live behind that same shopping plaza in Kendall Park (he was raised there but, like myself, was not born there), I will give the address for those interested (kidding-that's up to you to find out!). I still recall that plaza looking awfully dingy at first, before they removed the movie theater for a CVS, at the same time they gave a new look to the shopping center.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.