News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Central New Jersey Road Meet - August 13/14

Started by Alps, June 09, 2011, 08:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

So glad everyone had a good time. I honestly think Tiger Jane (our sick feline) just didn't want me to go. From us thinking Wednesday evening that she might not possibly live until the weekend, or we would have to make one of those irreversible decisions, she has rallied. She's eating again and seems to be acting as normally as she has been the last few months.

She's having good weekends, followed by not-so-good weekends. A look at the calendar tells me that the Watertown meet coincides with one of her regularly-scheduled not-so-good weekends, but we'll see.

Plus, it sounds like I would have been swimming back to Kentucky today.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Adam just couldn't let the "SEND HELP" sign go haha.

Hey Steve - it wasn't very hard to find you >:P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

Quote from: Master son on August 15, 2011, 10:26:31 AM
Hey Steve - it wasn't very hard to find you >:P

Right.  But some of the other people are hard to ID, especially with so many people in the shot, including some who seem not to be meet regulars.  Any chance we could get a caption?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Ian

Quote from: oscar on August 18, 2011, 05:53:10 PM
Any chance we could get a caption?

Of course. My apologies for not including it in the original post.

TOP ROW from left to right:
Keith Thomas, Michael Temme-Soifer, Al Kotchi, Mike Tantillo, Ray Martin, Chris Mason, Doug Kerr, Adam Moss (with the infamous SEND HELP sign), Steve Alpert (kneeling), Scott Davis, Adam Winkler's father, Adam Winkler, Dylan Lainhart, Kevin Brownlie, Kevin Brownlie's father, Laura Bianca, John Housty, Jon Deane, Anthony Costanzo.

BOTTOM ROW from left to right:
Leigh's girlfriend/wife/fiancee, Leigh Koven, Jeff Taylor, Ian Ligget (me), Michael Pruett, Robert Sargent, Carl Tessier.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

kevinb1994

I'm gonna add some unfortunate news–the Prestige Diner had apparently went downhill as of late and has apparently closed its doors for good (apparently there is/was a sale pending).

I'm just gonna say that despite the meet turnout (no less than impressive, as stated before), the food was NOT that memorable–and I'm not sure if I will miss it (and the diner).

I'm also gonna add that they left the website up and running...

Alps

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 08, 2020, 06:30:47 PM
I'm gonna add some unfortunate news–the Prestige Diner had apparently went downhill as of late and has apparently closed its doors for good (apparently there is/was a sale pending).

I'm just gonna say that despite the meet turnout (no less than impressive, as stated before), the food was NOT that memorable–and I'm not sure if I will miss it (and the diner).

Interesting. It was a diner and it was close. That's all it had going for it. :)

vdeane

It wouldn't be the first meet restaurant to close... it wouldn't even be the first for a meet that happened in 2011!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

A.J. Bertin

I'm just a bit intrigued by the fact that a thread on this forum from 2011 was revived. LOL
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 08, 2020, 09:39:56 PM
I'm just a bit intrigued by the fact that a thread on this forum from 2011 was revived. LOL

As am I.  It's quite the necro when one considers that it's a road meet from almost a decade ago.  :-D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Mr. Matté

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 08, 2020, 06:30:47 PM

Having been past there recently and frequently (not admiring the new west Route 133 to US 130 north signs with Clearview), it's becoming an IHOP.

Takumi

Quote from: vdeane on July 08, 2020, 08:54:35 PM
It wouldn't be the first meet restaurant to close... it wouldn't even be the first for a meet that happened in 2011!
The restaurant from the most recent Richmond meet closed not long after the meet, as did the entire chain.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Wow, was this the most-attended road meet of all time?

signalman

Quote from: webny99 on July 08, 2020, 11:16:33 PM

No, Central Susquehanna Valley (Shamokin Dam) had a larger turnout. I have heard that the first Baltimore meet had a large attendance, (around 30 IIRC) however, I was not there to confirm that.  Also, it's debatable whether one counts the father chaperones and significant others as attendees or not.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: signalman on July 09, 2020, 03:35:32 AM

No, Central Susquehanna Valley (Shamokin Dam) had a larger turnout. I have heard that the first Baltimore meet had a large attendance, (around 30 IIRC) however, I was not there to confirm that.  Also, it's debatable whether one counts the father chaperones and significant others as attendees or not.

The 2010 Baltimore meet (about 30 people) and the 2014 St. Louis meet (also about 30 people) were probably the most-attended road meets ever. Another meet that had a lot of attendees would have been the 2016 York PA meet (maybe around 25 people?). I wasn't at the Shamokin Dam meet so I don't know how many were there.
-A.J. from Michigan

jeffandnicole

Sure they are.  They're at the restaurants.  They're in the cars.  They're at the sites, learning and taking pics.  They're even in the group photos.  If they're there, they're part of the group.

hbelkins

The restaurant where I held my Somerset, Ky. meet several years ago (Reno's Roadhouse) is closed. I also understand that the Reno's in Pikeville, where I held both meets there, is closed.

The restaurant in the sporting goods store at Edwardsburg, Mich., where a meet was held several years ago, is also closed. I think the entire store is closed, in fact.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Grizzly's in Duluth where we had our meet lunch in 2016 closed after being bought out to expand the neighboring car dealership.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vdeane on July 08, 2020, 08:54:35 PM
Roadhouse 66, which hosted the 2011 C-bus meet, changed names in 2018, and then was sold in 2019 (now is a sports bar)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 09, 2020, 07:25:47 AM

The 2010 Baltimore meet (about 30 people) and the 2014 St. Louis meet (also about 30 people) were probably the most-attended road meets ever. Another meet that had a lot of attendees would have been the 2016 York PA meet (maybe around 25 people?). I wasn't at the Shamokin Dam meet so I don't know how many were there.

(I didn't realize I had misplaced my statement, within quote boxes, till seeing Froggie's comments below)
Between lunch, the US 20 presentation, and tour; 2018 NE Ohio meet had 25 attendees.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

baugh17

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 09, 2020, 10:33:22 PM
Between lunch, the US 20 presentation, and tour; 2018 NE Ohio meet had 25 attendees.

Checking meet photos, by my count, the Susquehanna Valley meet had 30 but that number does include chaperones, significant others, and the daughter of an attendee.  York had 26 including the same.

Alps

Quote from: baugh17 on July 10, 2020, 06:57:44 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 09, 2020, 10:33:22 PM

Checking meet photos, by my count, the Susquehanna Valley meet had 30 but that number does include chaperones, significant others, and the daughter of an attendee.  York had 26 including the same.
Baltimore was at 33.

froggie

Baltimore, IIRC, was larger than Susquehanna Valley.  Both had cases of people who were not present for meet photos....for example, I was only present for lunch at Susquehanna Valley.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.