News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Officially designated sections in Arkansas

Started by bugo, May 12, 2018, 09:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

According to Wikipedia:

QuoteHighways in Arkansas do not commonly form concurrencies with other state highways, they instead exist in many officially designated "sections". These sections are not apparent to the traveler except on mile markers. Because roads often stop and begin elsewhere, it appears that highways repeat themselves in multiple locations, the most recurring being Highway 74. All highways follow this convention in ArDOT bookkeeping, including Interstates and U.S. Routes. A route remains a single segment until it meets a route of greater importance, or often a county line. This is the procedure for all highways in Arkansas, unless an officially designated "exception" occurs, which means a concurrency does form. These occur on mile markers and on bridge designation signs, however, mile markers are uncommon in Arkansas, and bridge markers are also frequently missing. Sectioning is used as the rule throughout the state, unless an officially designated "exception" occurs. These exceptions are not common and are the only instances of concurrencies in the State of Arkansas.

I have never seen a mile marker or a bridge marker in Arkansas that shows two highways. Do these signs actually exist or is Wikipedia wrong? Here is an example of a bridge marker, this one is on AR 7, Section 20, mile 0.19:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2292734,-93.1041049,3a,15y,114.24h,74.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqGnz-Zx-YZ16Jgrj6-rZqg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If anybody has a picture of a mile marker or bridge marker with two designations on it, please post it here.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

AR 8 and 88 are signed together, so concurrency or no?

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

bugo

AR 8 and 88 haven't been dual-signed in a long time.

Road Hog

I've never seen it. Usually one highway takes priority over the other(s).

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: bugo on May 12, 2018, 09:34:12 PM
I'd be glad to GSV it once I'm at my laptop.

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 12, 2018, 09:08:16 AM
According to Wikipedia:

QuoteHighways in Arkansas do not commonly form concurrencies with other state highways, they instead exist in many officially designated "sections". These sections are not apparent to the traveler except on mile markers. Because roads often stop and begin elsewhere, it appears that highways repeat themselves in multiple locations, the most recurring being Highway 74. All highways follow this convention in ArDOT bookkeeping, including Interstates and U.S. Routes. A route remains a single segment until it meets a route of greater importance, or often a county line. This is the procedure for all highways in Arkansas, unless an officially designated "exception" occurs, which means a concurrency does form. These occur on mile markers and on bridge designation signs, however, mile markers are uncommon in Arkansas, and bridge markers are also frequently missing. Sectioning is used as the rule throughout the state, unless an officially designated "exception" occurs. These exceptions are not common and are the only instances of concurrencies in the State of Arkansas.

I have never seen a mile marker or a bridge marker in Arkansas that shows two highways. Do these signs actually exist or is Wikipedia wrong? Here is an example of a bridge marker, this one is on AR 7, Section 20, mile 0.19:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2292734,-93.1041049,3a,15y,114.24h,74.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqGnz-Zx-YZ16Jgrj6-rZqg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If anybody has a picture of a mile marker or bridge marker with two designations on it, please post it here.

On the white square bridge markers, one highway is usually the "priority" road and is posted on the marker (like 67C at Searcy).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 13, 2018, 02:12:26 AM

iPhone

AR 8 and 88 haven't been signed on US 59-71 in at least 10 or 15 years. The brief AR 8-88 duplex on Main Street was deleted in the mid '80s.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 13, 2018, 10:10:09 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 13, 2018, 02:12:26 AM

iPhone

AR 8 and 88 haven't been signed on US 59-71 in at least 10 or 15 years. The brief AR 8-88 duplex on Main Street was deleted in the mid '80s.

https://goo.gl/maps/g5NoBZbhxxx (2017)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

texaskdog

bugo

Quote from: US71 on May 14, 2018, 08:45:21 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/g5NoBZbhxxx (2017)

That is a semi-error. It doesn't mention AR 8 heading west from here.

There are no trailblazers along the main highway any longer. That's what I was talking about.

Here's a picture of when all four highways were signed, circa 2000.

Here's what it looked like in 2009.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.