News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 11, 2021, 03:31:39 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 10, 2021, 07:33:44 PM
Quote from: formulanone on June 10, 2021, 07:07:44 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 04, 2021, 10:20:12 AM
For some reason FDOT was signed FL 25 instead of US 27 south of Lake Placid in a construction zone I passed through this past week:

IMG_2351 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Way back until the mid-1990s, there was a lone example of a State Road 25 and US 27 sign duo posted somewhere around Okeelanta. After that entire section was four-laned, it mysteriously disappeared.

Not too far from the FL 700 and FL 15 shields in Martin County that were co-signed with US 98/441.

Did they remove the FL 700 and FL 15 signs?

Not sure, haven't been that way since late 2015. 

formulanone

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 11, 2021, 03:50:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 11, 2021, 03:47:23 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 11, 2021, 03:31:39 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 10, 2021, 07:33:44 PM

Not too far from the FL 700 and FL 15 shields in Martin County that were co-signed with US 98/441.

Did they remove the FL 700 and FL 15 signs?

Not sure, haven't been that way since late 2015.

Still a number of them in place back in 2017:

pianocello

Quote from: roadman65 on June 10, 2021, 09:06:41 AM
I see FDOT is building a test area along US 301 in Clay County.  They are building a third carriage way for the four lane divided highway to make a six lane double divided highway.
https://www.fdot.gov/docs/default-source/materials/pavement/research/reports/stateroad/301.pdf

That's what they're doing with that? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for research and finding more innovative solutions to construction, but I was hoping it was an effort to get rid of some of the cross streets and traffic signals.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

roadman65

This sign here has a lot to be desired.  Or should I say these two signs.  The downward left on the right is pointing to the same place as the upward left right side panel arrow next to it.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2021, 11:57:39 AM
This sign here has a lot to be desired.  Or should I say these two signs.  The downward left on the right is pointing to the same place as the upward left right side panel arrow next to it.

Airport signage in general is known to be bad.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2021, 12:40:42 PM

That makes me wonder what airport has the best signage.

roadman65

This one I found, even though it's correct, bugs me for a reason.  I-95 is via I-395 and 395 ends at I-95. They list it as the tunnel goes to both roads together. Yes true, but if you are going to mention I-95 which comes after I-395s total existence, then word it as I-395 to I-95 and relocate the airport to be with the TO I-95.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51250029765

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 15, 2021, 12:44:54 PM

That's the Port of Miami...for floaty ships.

jdb1234

Quote from: formulanone on June 15, 2021, 05:30:37 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 15, 2021, 12:44:54 PM

That's the Port of Miami...for floaty ships.

I noticed that myself.  I visited the Port of Miami in August 2019 on my way to Miami Beach in order to see the Port of Miami Tunnel.  I thought that sign looked familar.

roadman65

I drove the completed Turnpike from Orlando South to Osceola Parkway. Noticed the ramps open at SR 417 say Tampa and Daytona using an airport emblem to identify MCO.

What got me is they have a SunPass and Toll By Plate banner on the sign which is no longer applicable due to all the road in Central Florida being cash less.

Even Exit 255 for Consulate Drive now has normal guides as the SunPass banner above the sign is gone due to the changeover.  Considering that the SR 417 exit opened after the change, the signing designer would have not included that particular feature.

Sheryl Crowe

Stephane Dumas

Google Streetview posted some recent shots of Gandy Blvd with the elevated FL-618/Selmon Expwy extension completed.  https://www.google.com/maps/@27.893388,-82.5186736,3a,75y,59.68h,97.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2hII_YJdFsThUpZOqVKwAA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2021, 04:39:23 PM
https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/projects/state-road-417-widening-from-international-drive-to-state-road-528/
SR 417 being widened to six lanes from I Drive to SR 528.

Finally.
Yeah I know, it's about time that CFX moved forward with this. I'll be sure to keep this in mind next time I pick up family from the airport. Otherwise I'll be using I-4 straight down or SR 429 from I-4.

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2021, 04:39:23 PM
https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/projects/state-road-417-widening-from-international-drive-to-state-road-528/
SR 417 being widened to six lanes from I Drive to SR 528.

Finally.

No duh...I use the 417 from the Space Coast to avoid as much of I-4 as possible when visiting family in Tampa and Pasco County.
I'm sure FHP will love it too :-D :pan:.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

1995hoo

That still leaves that crappy little toll plaza at the end of the road near I-4. Have they upgraded that yet? Last time I went through there, it still lacked highway-speed ATC lanes, though I will admit I haven't been that way in a few years because we found we prefer the FL-429/FL-46 route to connect between the Auto Train station in Sanford and places to the south and west.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NJRoadfan

I can confirm that the crappy little toll plaza is still there in Celebration. Not that you'll be going anywhere fast after going thru it since I-4 is parked.

sprjus4

I'm just waiting for the northern portion of the western beltway (FL-429) to be done at this point. I feel like that will end up being a more reliable bypass for I-4 and Orlando than FL-417, simply due to the fact it dumps you on I-4 further south than FL-417 and avoids the majority of the parking lot near Disney on I-4 which FL-417 does not get you past.

1995hoo

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 29, 2021, 09:20:15 AM
I can confirm that the crappy little toll plaza is still there in Celebration. Not that you'll be going anywhere fast after going thru it since I-4 is parked.

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 29, 2021, 12:09:46 PM
I'm just waiting for the northern portion of the western beltway (FL-429) to be done at this point. I feel like that will end up being a more reliable bypass for I-4 and Orlando than FL-417, simply due to the fact it dumps you on I-4 further south than FL-417 and avoids the majority of the parking lot near Disney on I-4 which FL-417 does not get you past.

Both of those points are why we generally use the FL-429 route as our preferred bypass, construction on FL-46 notwithstanding. If, of course, we were going from the Auto Train to Broward County it'd be a different matter, but the I-4 backup would be irrelevant. (We no longer have reason to visit Viera because my sister-in-law who lived there died last year, but when we visited there we usually took the Bee Line and FL-417 other than one trip where I used FL-46 for a change of pace and to complete a clinch, and of course the I-4 backup was irrelevant there was well.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 29, 2021, 08:53:06 AM
That still leaves that crappy little toll plaza at the end of the road near I-4. Have they upgraded that yet? Last time I went through there, it still lacked highway-speed ATC lanes, though I will admit I haven't been that way in a few years because we found we prefer the FL-429/FL-46 route to connect between the Auto Train station in Sanford and places to the south and west.

Its not going to have special AET lanes like the others.  It will be demolished and all Cash Less tolling there, as the plan is to make all of Florida cash less just like NY and PA have been going for.

With many not following the road, but whatever the GPS tells them, it will be so easy to take money from people as many show up in a cash lane unprepared and unaware of their surroundings including the fact they missed the toll warnings at exit ramps and entrances.  Most people " I am not from around here, so I have no idea this was a toll road!"  Then you say "What about the signs you saw" for them to respond "I don't read the signs.  Remember, I am not from around here."

Sheryl Crowe

ukfan758

Speaking of Orlando toll roads, what exactly is going to happen with the new 528 express lanes that are being changed to free "thru lanes" ? The FDOT site doesn't mention much. Currently it's basically just Nashville style HOV lanes with the double dash lane markers dividing those lanes from the mainline, making them effectively useless since anyone can get on and off them at any time.

I think installing the lane bollards similar to Miami would make them effective and eventually change it to exclusive use for those getting on the I-4 express lanes once the Beyond the Ultimate project is finished in that section.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: ukfan758 on June 29, 2021, 02:10:21 PM
Speaking of Orlando toll roads, what exactly is going to happen with the new 528 express lanes that are being changed to free "thru lanes" ? The FDOT site doesn't mention much. Currently it's basically just Nashville style HOV lanes with the double dash lane markers dividing those lanes from the mainline, making them effectively useless since anyone can get on and off them at any time.

I think installing the lane bollards similar to Miami would make them effective and eventually change it to exclusive use for those getting on the I-4 express lanes once the Beyond the Ultimate project is finished in that section.

HOV Lane Enforcement at least out side of Nashville-Davidson County is not even really enforced much.  Sometimes Brentwood PD will have a motor out on I-65.  Metro Nashville is hit or miss.  If the traffic division isn't busy working a wreck they may enforce it.

Max Rockatansky

As someone who is a former resident of the City of Orlando I rarely found myself with a reason to visit Disney World.  That said, I am no longer an Orlando resident and I do enjoy weird roads.  In terms of weirdness the freeway grades of World Drive and Epcot Center Drive rank pretty high given their total disregard for MUTCD complaint signage. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/07/world-drive-and-epcot-center-drive.html?m=1

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 01, 2021, 11:54:49 PM
As someone who is a former resident of the City of Orlando I rarely found myself with a reason to visit Disney World.  That said, I am no longer an Orlando resident and I do enjoy weird roads.  In terms of weirdness the freeway grades of World Drive and Epcot Center Drive rank pretty high given their total disregard for MUTCD complaint signage. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/07/world-drive-and-epcot-center-drive.html?m=1

Does the Reedy Creek Development District, Bay Lake, or Lake Buena Vista receive a portion of the fines collected within the respective boundaries from traffic infractions? 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 02, 2021, 08:47:44 AM

Does the Reedy Creek Development District, Bay Lake, or Lake Buena Vista receive a portion of the fines collected within the respective boundaries from traffic infractions?

Not sure, rumor has it if Disney employees get speeding tickets it ends up as a disciplinary action on their employee record.  In theory Bay Lake as a City ought be able to establish their own police and emergency services.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 02, 2021, 10:35:15 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 02, 2021, 08:47:44 AM

Not sure, rumor has it if Disney employees get speeding tickets it ends up as a disciplinary action on their employee record.  In theory Bay Lake as a City ought be able to establish their own police and emergency services.

I have read the minutes of the city council and they contract out the services to the SO.  So they have well established their police powers but contract those out.  It looks like fire and EMS service has been reserved by the Reedy Creek Improvement District as legislated into law back in 1967.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.