News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware

Started by Alex, March 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 09, 2019, 11:39:45 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on January 09, 2019, 11:05:44 AM
It's opening tomorrow: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2019/01/09/u-s-301-mainline-set-open-thursday-after-morning-rush-hour/2523420002/

I'm going to try to head up there on Saturday morning to make a video if I can.

Evidently DelDOT predicts openings the same way Windows predicts the time file copying takes. :spin:
Thats not nice , windows fixed that problem years ago.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

Within the article:

QuoteTruck tolls are expected to account for an estimated 56 percent of revenues.

How?  Is there that much trucking traffic in that region?  The articles talk mainly about all the residential growth in the area, but is completely silent when it comes to the vehicles that are supposed to be the primary source of revenues!

ipeters61

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2019, 12:15:16 PM
Within the article:

QuoteTruck tolls are expected to account for an estimated 56 percent of revenues.

How?  Is there that much trucking traffic in that region?  The articles talk mainly about all the residential growth in the area, but is completely silent when it comes to the vehicles that are supposed to be the primary source of revenues!
Page 57 - PDF Page 63 (if you look under the US-301 archived documents on the DelDOT site, you can find these under "Traffic and Revenue Reports"): https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/us301/us301Archive/pdfs/US301_T_R_Report.pdf

EDIT Not only is there a lot of passenger car traffic in the Middletown region, but there's a huge boom in commercial development too (which of course comes with massive residential growth).  They also have an Amazon warehouse that opened in Middletown a few years ago.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

cl94

Something I can't find anywhere - will the E-ZPass rate apply to out-of-state passes, or will I be hit with the video toll rate when I drive this thing on Saturday?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ipeters61

Quote from: cl94 on January 09, 2019, 12:26:52 PM
Something I can't find anywhere - will the E-ZPass rate apply to out-of-state passes, or will I be hit with the video toll rate when I drive this thing on Saturday?
I know DelDOT doesn't have separate charges for out of state E-ZPass on DE-1 (and even applies discounts for shorter trips on DE-1), you just wouldn't qualify for their frequent users program (I have a PA E-ZPass and drive on DE-1 all the time).  So I'd guess US-301 would be the same way.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

froggie

It's opening tomorrow: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2019/01/09/u-s-301-mainline-set-open-thursday-after-morning-rush-hour/2523420002/

Maybe consider waiting for a weekend where it's not expected to snow? 😊

ipeters61

Quote from: froggie on January 09, 2019, 01:06:06 PM

Maybe consider waiting for a weekend where it's not expected to snow? 😊
Just checked the weather and I think it'll be okay.  The snow's not supposed to start until 4-6pm in Middletown or Dover.  It's only a 30 minute drive to it for me to the expressway.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 09, 2019, 12:31:35 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 09, 2019, 12:26:52 PM
I know DelDOT doesn't have separate charges for out of state E-ZPass on DE-1 (and even applies discounts for shorter trips on DE-1), you just wouldn't qualify for their frequent users program (I have a PA E-ZPass and drive on DE-1 all the time).  So I'd guess US-301 would be the same way.

Correct.  He's trying to read into info that's not there.  There's simply going to be an EZ Pass rate and a non-EZ Pass rate.  If the rate were to differ based on residency, that would've been mentioned.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2019, 01:16:42 PM
Correct.  He's trying to read into info that's not there.  There's simply going to be an EZ Pass rate and a non-EZ Pass rate.  If the rate were to differ based on residency, that would've been mentioned.

That is what I figured, but a few states in the Northeast quietly removed out-of-state discounts. When NY first started discriminating, there was nothing clear online showing that the discount doesn't apply to non-NY accounts. Even today, you have to read a footnote to know that the E-ZPass rate doesn't apply to non-NY tags at the TBTA crossings.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Tonytone

They removed the 301 banners from the BGS in the glasgow area, but, when the spur is built; isnt that considered 301 or will it be signed as 896?

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Roadsguy

Quote from: Tonytone on January 09, 2019, 04:20:48 PM
They removed the 301 banners from the BGS in the glasgow area, but, when the spur is built; isnt that considered 301 or will it be signed as 896?

The response I got from DelDOT was that the spur is expected to just be signed as a long ramp: To US 301 South and To DE 896 North.

What I really find interesting is that not only did those 301 shields in Glasgow say To US 301 and the reassurance markers only refer to 896, but in the old Street View you can see "To US 301 North" pointing east on US 40. I know US 301 officially ran unsigned from Glasgow to I-295 via US 40, but was it signed recently enough to appear on those new-ish signs, and if so, why the "To"?

I disagree with covering up "To US 301 south," though. That will still probably the quickest way from there to 301, and will especially be so when the spur road is built. It also makes the "To" there actually correct.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ixnay

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 09, 2019, 12:19:19 PM
Within the article:

Page 57 - PDF Page 63 (if you look under the US-301 archived documents on the DelDOT site, you can find these under "Traffic and Revenue Reports"): https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/us301/us301Archive/pdfs/US301_T_R_Report.pdf

EDIT Not only is there a lot of passenger car traffic in the Middletown region, but there's a huge boom in commercial development too (which of course comes with massive residential growth).  They also have an Amazon warehouse that opened in Middletown a few years ago.

Enough development that DART First State launched bus service to and within Middletown/Odessa.

http://www.deldot.gov/map/index.shtml?tab=DARTBusStop

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ipeters61

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 09, 2019, 08:28:11 PM
I disagree with covering up "To US 301 south," though. That will still probably the quickest way from there to 301, and will especially be so when the spur road is built. It also makes the "To" there actually correct.
I'd imagine that it's to alleviate confusion between the old 301 (now just 896/71) and the new 301.  Remember, most people aren't thinking of the "To" part of "To US-301" even though it is technically incorrect (for the next 45 minutes).

Quote from: ixnay on January 10, 2019, 07:55:49 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on January 09, 2019, 12:19:19 PM
Within the article:

Enough development that DART First State launched bus service to and within Middletown/Odessa.

http://www.deldot.gov/map/index.shtml?tab=DARTBusStop

ixnay
Also, I imagine a lot of commercial traffic headed from Philadelphia/NYC/points north and east to the Eastern Shore of Maryland (and possibly Annapolis/Baltimore/Washington as an alternate route) is heading down US-301.  The new expressway eliminates that bottleneck of Middletown (though I'd imagine they'd still be stopping there).
Instagram | Clinched Map

Beltway

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 10, 2019, 08:15:11 AM
Also, I imagine a lot of commercial traffic headed from Philadelphia/NYC/points north and east to the Eastern Shore of Maryland (and possibly Annapolis/Baltimore/Washington as an alternate route) is heading down US-301.  The new expressway eliminates that bottleneck of Middletown (though I'd imagine they'd still be stopping there).

This completes a nice route that is expressway grade or higher, between Washington and south, and Wilmington and north; and which bypasses the Baltimore area.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

MASTERNC

DelDOT camera on DE 1 aimed at the new US 301 sign - looks like the tarp is about to come off

1995hoo

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 10, 2019, 11:18:13 AM
DelDOT camera on DE 1 aimed at the new US 301 sign - looks like the tarp is about to come off

Heh. The question is whether they're removing it or the wind is removing it whether they like it or not!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ipeters61

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2019, 11:46:48 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on January 10, 2019, 11:18:13 AM

Heh. The question is whether they're removing it or the wind is removing it whether they like it or not!
The wind's pretty intense here, so I wouldn't be surprised if the wind was removing it!  I heard that DelDOT would start opening the southbound lanes first, so that could be it too.

EDIT - Looks like the sign tarp is slowly being removed.  The 301 shield was just revealed.  The News Journal has some first photos of the opening: https://www.delawareonline.com/videos/news/local/2019/01/10/u-s-301-toll-road-opens-thursday/2535646002/
Instagram | Clinched Map

MASTERNC

No traffic showing on any of the new 301 cams but the one at the weigh station shows northbound traffic crawling, meaning they might be setting up the opening.

The DelDOT release says thru trucks will be restricted from the old route, so they are counting on truck tolls to fund this.

https://www.deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=7467

Roadsguy

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 10, 2019, 12:29:22 PM
No traffic showing on any of the new 301 cams but the one at the weigh station shows northbound traffic crawling, meaning they might be setting up the opening.

The DelDOT release says thru trucks will be restricted from the old route, so they are counting on truck tolls to fund this.

They've done a good job on all the signs I've seen so far.

Interestingly, one of the route markers in that video has the toll banner below the direction: "South TOLL US 301" instead of "TOLL South US 301." I think this order makes more sense, coupled with people calling it "Toll 301" akin to the "PA Turnpike XX" routes in southwest PA, or the tolled part of NC 540 and 147 which NCDOT treats as separate routes on signage.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

The Ghostbuster

I hope when the toll road opens, someone gets pictures of US 301's new northern terminus for usends.com. They have already updated the location of 301's new terminus.

cl94

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 10, 2019, 04:13:55 PM
I hope when the toll road opens, someone gets pictures of US 301's new northern terminus for usends.com. They have already updated the location of 301's new terminus.

I'll get SB pics on Saturday.

Alex4897

I'll hopefully be driving the corridor both directions tomorrow, I'll record both passes and upload them to YouTube.
👉😎👉

sprjus4

I imagined plenty of truckers are pissed about this - any of them heading up US 301 are forced to pay a toll or break the law.

That besides the point, it's a nice highway.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 10, 2019, 04:36:47 PM

I imagined plenty of truckers are pissed about this - any of them heading up US 301 are forced to pay a toll or break the law.

Is it known if the restrictions exist north of the new Exit 5, the current best route to the Summit Bridge?

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 10, 2019, 04:46:13 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 10, 2019, 04:36:47 PM

Is it known if the restrictions exist north of the new Exit 5, the current best route to the Summit Bridge?
I don't know, but I wouldn't imagine so. I think it's from the Delaware State line to that point, basically detouring traffic away from Middletown. The only issue with that again though, is forcing a $10 toll on a truck who has no option to avoid it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.