News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

3di shields: Bubble vs. standard (non-CalTrans)

Started by Bickendan, January 17, 2010, 03:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Bubble shields are just further evidence of America's obesity problem. :-P
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Bickendan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2010, 08:52:23 PM
what font is that?  the "405" seems to be a bit wide of a font and a bit more far-apart spaced than standard
Blue Highway, most likely bold. Done in Adobe Fireworks a few years back, so I can't remember if it was bold or regular or the size (it's a .gif now).

Also, the blue is brighter than specs.

myosh_tino

California went through the bubble phase too...

I-880 Bubble shield and newer "Angular" shield:

I-880 and I-580 Bubble shield:

Fortuantely, the bubble phase seems to have passed.  Below are signs installed over the past couple of years...

"Normal" I-680 shield:

"Normal" I-780 shield and "Slightly Angular" I-680 shield:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

shoptb1

It seems like the states around here (Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Indiana) seem to all use the standard spec 3di shields, which look MUCH better in my opinion to these "bubble-shields".  I'm happy to say that I agree with the group when I say that I think the bubble shields are generally stupid and ugly looking.  Although I'm sure that if I look hard enough, I might find an example of one of these in Ohio...I'm pretty sure we have at least one of everything else. :)

I have, however, seen these bubble shields in Pennsylvania.  Here's one in Pittsburgh -- not sure if they used bubble-shield on the I-376 replacement?

Scott5114

Hawaii interstate renumbering schemes may be found in the Fictional Highways section.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mr_Northside

Quote from: shoptb1 on January 18, 2010, 03:26:47 PM
I have, however, seen these bubble shields in Pennsylvania.  Here's one in Pittsburgh -- not sure if they used bubble-shield on the I-376 replacement?

For the signs that are being replaced/updated due only to the I-376 renumbering, they've used standard shields.
However, at about the same time, separately, there is a rehab project on the stretch of Parkway East from Penn Hills to the Turnpike where the contractor doing it decided to put up brand new "bubble" 376 shields.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

shoptb1

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 19, 2010, 09:41:11 AM
However, at about the same time, separately, there is a rehab project on the stretch of Parkway East from Penn Hills to the Turnpike where the contractor doing it decided to put up brand new "bubble" 376 shields.

I'm guessing that PennDOT doesn't have strict standards for contractors to adhere to regarding signage?

jjakucyk

It seems like the states around here (Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Indiana) seem to all use the standard spec 3di shields...

Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing one of these beasts around here.  What I have seen, and which bugs the hell out of me, are on free-hanging signs and some pole-mounted signs, the 2di shields are cutout, but the 3di shields aren't.  WTF?  Sometimes they really phone it in, and even the 2di shield isn't cutout either.  http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&om=0&ie=UTF8&ll=39.099593,-84.502979&spn=0,359.995118&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.099686,-84.502842&panoid=faC10uKgLgvSclKGKahsVg&cbp=12,289.76,,0,-2.75

Bickendan

xonhulu

Quote from: Bickendan on January 19, 2010, 03:22:28 PM
At least that's a white border... here's a hairbrained 2di ODOT put up on I-5: a black non-cutout.

(Lovely non-HD resolution, Google.)

Yeah, these are starting to crop up in a few places in Oregon.  In fact, there's one of these monstrosities just down the road from my house here in Salem.  I agree, a white background would look much better!

corco

There's a few on the Banfield as well

I actually prefer the black to the white. When I think white non-cutout interstate shields I always think about the Washington monstrosities

Ian

Quote from: corco on January 19, 2010, 08:12:56 PM

I actually prefer the black to the white. When I think white non-cutout interstate shields I always think about the Washington monstrosities

I think of Rhode Island when I see those...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

corco

At least those are formatted somewhat correctly, not with the ugly Series E (or is that F?) fonts

That said, RIDOT is probably the most notorious for not using cutouts

jjakucyk

Quote from: corco on January 19, 2010, 08:17:00 PM
At least those are formatted somewhat correctly, not with the ugly Series E (or is that F?) fonts

I dunno, this one's pretty darn awful, offensive even.

corco

The fun part is that last time I was on I-82 (mid 2008) there were at least 8 of those bad boys (formatted in that godawful way)

Riverside Frwy

These bubble shields deserve a:

hbelkins

Quote from: jjakucyk on January 19, 2010, 01:55:41 PM
It seems like the states around here (Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Indiana) seem to all use the standard spec 3di shields...

Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing one of these beasts around here.  What I have seen, and which bugs the hell out of me, are on free-hanging signs and some pole-mounted signs, the 2di shields are cutout, but the 3di shields aren't.  WTF?  Sometimes they really phone it in, and even the 2di shield isn't cutout either.  http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&om=0&ie=UTF8&ll=39.099593,-84.502979&spn=0,359.995118&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.099686,-84.502842&panoid=faC10uKgLgvSclKGKahsVg&cbp=12,289.76,,0,-2.75

I think some of the signage at that intersection is leftover temporary contractor signage from a project there a few years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jjakucyk

They're all over downtown though.  The I-75 shield is an odd one, but while all the I-71 shields are cutout, the I-471 shields are not. 

Scott5114

We're talking about non-cutout shields?

Wisconsin.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bickendan

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on January 19, 2010, 09:05:05 PM
These bubble shields deserve a:

Disagree. They're worthy of one if you dislike them -- which seems to be the consensus here.
The non-cutout interstate shields, the CalTrans interstate shields, and the Rand McNally interstate shields? Yeah, those are worth of a double facepalm.

Brandon

Quote from: corco on January 19, 2010, 08:12:56 PM

For a minute there, it looked like I-84 took a jaunt to Wisconsin.  WisDOT's been using non-cutout shields for interstates for at least 15 years or so.

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=WI19880391t100390.jpg - I-39
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=WI19880432t100430.jpg - I-43 & I-94
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=WI19880434t100430.jpg - I-43
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=WI19790901t100940.jpg - I-90 & I-94 (even with a state name on I-90)
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=WI19888942t108940.jpg - I-894 (even 3dis get in on the act)

Then there's this bizarre one: www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=WI19880436t100430.jpg - I-43
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Ian

Quote from: jjakucyk on January 19, 2010, 08:47:01 PM
Quote from: corco on January 19, 2010, 08:17:00 PM

I dunno, this one's pretty darn awful, offensive even.

If the I-82 shield was a cutout, it would remind me of the New Jersey Turnpike because their I-95 shields have series E (or whatever the font is).
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

shoptb1

How did we go from these awful Bubble-Shields to the highly-offensive non cut-out shields again?

jjakucyk

Awful begets awful, I suppose.  I'll take the blame and accept whatever punishment you wish to administer.

Bickendan

Hey now. I have no qualms about my threads getting hijacked or evolving to other discussions.

Now that I've been forced to pull out the threadjacked smiley on my own thread, I should start a thread about offensive non-cutouts and leave the merely annoying bubbles in here, I guess :/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.