Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

101 Marin-Sonoma Narrows Projects

(1/8) > >>

relaxok:
Does anybody else have any inside info on the future of the widening of US-101 between Marin and Sonoma county (CA)?

http://roadwarrior.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/tag/marin-sonoma-narrows/

.. has a bunch of info, but I'm still utterly bewildered. The traffic in the 2-lane segment is absolutely HORRIFIC.  The current thought seems to be they need to spend untold hundreds of millions and years to get the entire region up to freeway status, so that it can then start begging for (nearly nonexistent) federal funding to actually begin solving the problem.   

I cannot believe that this section of highway has been neglected for so long, especially in an area with so much money and so much desperate need for expanding the commuter corridor of San Francisco.

Instead it seems a ton of money got thrown at http://main.sonomamarintrain.org/ -- sure, a fun little idea considering the tracks already exist and are dormant, but it seems like a tax proposition for finishing 101 would have a lot more support.

mapman:
You can try the link below for more information.  Caltrans also used to have some documents here about the project, but I can't find then there anymore.   :confused:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/msn

nexus73:
I always found CalTrans a slow moving agency when it came to 101 projects.  Blood Alley in Prunedale, the Narrows, 101 between Eureka/Arcata...all should have been upgraded 40 or more years ago.  The slip-sliding section south of Crescent City is an on-going issue that should have resulted in a bypass a long time ago.  Heck, if you pay all my expenses, I'll give you a tour of 101 and show you the problems that got spaced off when California was doing good.  Silly CalTrans!  Silly government in Sacramento!  Now they play the broakphuk card but as they do the paperwork shuffle BS the costs climb and climb and climb while time delays...delays...delays result in stuff like the new tunnels south of Pacifica on SR 1 taking THIRTY freakin' years to go from start to finish.

Only in California...LOL!

Rick

TheStranger:

--- Quote from: nexus73 on September 04, 2014, 11:19:38 AM ---I always found CalTrans a slow moving agency when it came to 101 projects.  Blood Alley in Prunedale, the Narrows, 101 between Eureka/Arcata...all should have been upgraded 40 or more years ago.

--- End quote ---

With regards to 101 up north - didn't Eureka basically block any CalTrans attempt at bypassing the city?

--- Quote from: nexus73 on September 04, 2014, 11:19:38 AM ---   Now they play the broakphuk card but as they do the paperwork shuffle BS the costs climb and climb and climb while time delays...delays...delays result in stuff like the new tunnels south of Pacifica on SR 1 taking THIRTY freakin' years to go from start to finish.
--- End quote ---

Keep in mind that CalTrans wanted to build a freeway bypass of the Devil's Slide area for a long time before local voters basically pushed them into the tunnel option in 1995.  It still took another 15 years before said tunnel pairing was completed.

nexus73:
The story I know about Eureka is that CalTrans had a tunnel concept for 101 back in the day.  Those folks didn't want anything going on.  What I am talking about is the expressway section between Eureka and Arcata BTW.  Currently it looks like 2019 for something to Finally Get Done.  Sheesh. 

Taking 15 years to twiddle thumbs would draw a head-chopping of those assigned to a project if I ran things, then adding another 15 years to build a couple of tunnels with their accompanying bridges and a bit of roadway shows how ridiculous the whole process is.  If we had built the Alcan Highway with all the present rigamarole we would all be speaking Japanese over here on the West Coast.  Instead it was "git 'er done" time and the entire route was finished in less than a year.  Yet another reason to call the adults of that time "The Greatest Generation".

Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version