News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California

Started by Alex, January 24, 2009, 02:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Here's some photos Jeremy Lance scanned years ago from an old publication. These were originally on the California section of the original A.A. Highway Sign Gallery.

Voyager

Wow, talk about a blast from the past!
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

John

Wow, those are great photos. Don't like a ton different from the current highways.
They came, they went, they took my image...

big t

wow thats such a cool colaboration of photos.  I esp like the one at the bottom of the 5/10 in boyle heights.  Where do you get those photos?
Quote from: voyager on January 24, 2009, 02:59:11 AM
Wow, talk about a blast from the past!

TheStranger

I think Brooklyn Avenue on the last photo is today's Cesar Chavez Avenue...
Chris Sampang

tankerdave

It is now Cresar Chavez Ave, think the name was changed about 10 yrs ago.

John

It was Army Ave until the late 90s. IDK when it was Brooklyn, but if it ever was, it would have been called that a long time ago.

TheStranger

Quote from: John on February 11, 2009, 08:42:36 PM
It was Army Ave until the late 90s. IDK when it was Brooklyn, but if it ever was, it would have been called that a long time ago.

If I'm not mistaken, "Cesar Chavez Avenue" was created from connecting several different streets together under the one name.

The one vestige of Brooklyn Avenue ever existing is the parallel street Brooklyn Place.
Chris Sampang

John

No, that picture has I-10 in it. I-10 is down in LA.

corco

That lane change at the bottom looks slightly dangerous

Bryant5493

Quote from: corco on February 12, 2009, 10:07:51 AM
That lane change at the bottom looks slightly dangerous

Just slightly?  :sombrero:

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Voyager

It's ok, cars only went to 25 MPH back then.

The High Plains Traveler

What font is that on the bear signs, anyway? The older U.S. 6 marker has the squared-off early U.S. highway sign font, but the earlier state route markers (the ones not reflectorized) have a font I haven't seen on other states' older signs.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alex

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on February 17, 2009, 10:12:03 PM
What font is that on the bear signs, anyway? The older U.S. 6 marker has the squared-off early U.S. highway sign font, but the earlier state route markers (the ones not reflectorized) have a font I haven't seen on other states' older signs.

They used more custom fonts back then. The question can be more accurately answered by agentsteel53 (send him a PM)

TheStranger

A couple of photos I took tonight (long-exposure) of US 50 in East Sacramento, with my Nikon D40:

Chris Sampang

Voyager

Oh beautiful Sacramento...

DukeOfURL

Where were you standing when you took those pictures?

TheStranger

DukeofURL: Camera was on a railing at the 48th Street overpass.
Chris Sampang

AZDude

I like California's unique style of signage and highways.  I like how the highway signs are cutout style rather than the white on black background used everywhere else.  Also the "Freeway Entrance" signage used near onramps.  Also I even liked the use of "Exit" or "Ramp" for interchanges.  Although I'm fine with the numbering of exits (which is also a very unique format).  The use of "City Limit" rather than "City Limits", "60 Zone Ahead", "Maximum Speed", etc.  I hope they don't change anytime soon.

TheStranger

AZDude: I know a lot of folks at the misc.transport.road newsgroup and elsewhere whined about exit numbers being painted onto the signs themselves, as opposed to seperate tabs, but that style has grown on me (seeing that it is just about everywhere here in Sacramento).
Chris Sampang

Alex

QuoteAZDude: I know a lot of folks at the misc.transport.road newsgroup and elsewhere whined about exit numbers being painted onto the signs themselves, as opposed to seperate tabs, but that style has grown on me (seeing that it is just about everywhere here in Sacramento).

I hated the internally placed exit "tabs" on California signs at first, but after awhile they grew on me. Even on my last visit to the state, I readjusted quickly and began looking to see which exits were now numbered rather than continue to think that they should all be changed to match the rest of the nation.

AZDude

Yeah, I much rather have the an exit tab on top of the sign myself.  But what can you do?

Hellfighter

Those photos look cool. I like they still had US-99 and US-70 signed along with I-10.

Alex

Mike Ballard found this on the Los Angeles city website regarding the Ramona Parkway:

http://www.lacity.org/ladot/TopicsAndTales/Freeway1.pdf

J N Winkler

I hate the "bitten-out" and "strip-style" tabs myself, but I don't see that Caltrans has a lot of choice about them if exit numbering is to be carried out at relatively low cost.  Caltrans is committed to rather unusual kinds of sign hardware, such as laminated signs and formed panel signs, and these don't accept externally mounted tabs easily.  Even PennDOT (which is probably the only agency other than Caltrans which uses laminated signs) has been known to do strip-style tabs on occasion.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.