News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Charlotte

Started by wriddle082, October 15, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Earlier this week, the Charlotte Ledger had a story about the possible extension of the I-77 Toll Lanes south to the South Carolina line.  Recently, Cintra, the company that built the toll lanes from Uptown Charlotte to Mooresville, submitted an unsolicited bid to construct and operate the toll lanes themselves.

Cintra says that if awarded a contract, they could have the toll lanes up and running by 2029. They would then operate the toll lanes on a 50-year lease.  NCDOT says it would be in 2029 that they could begin to acquire the right of way.  NCDOT also estimated it would take another 15 years to secure all the funding necessary to start construction.  Apparently, the state has rules on the available amount of money that can go to a specific project or corridor at one time.

This news led to major heartburn for local leaders, who conceded that on a road that currently averages 160,000 vehicles per day with traffic at or above capacity seven to 11 hours a day that something may need to be done sooner.  NCDOT predicts that by 2050 traffic will reach an average of 185,000 vehicles per day, and the highway at or beyond peak capacity 15-17 hours of the day.  I need to tell my kids that they better find another way to take their kids to Carowinds in 2040.

So the question is: Do local leaders want to risk the headaches of another contract with Cintra? Or do they sit and wait for NCDOT to hopefully start construction in 20-25 years - hope that the schedule stays on target - and then look for additional funding resources to improve or even hold the timeline.  It'll be worth watching; meanwhile, you may want to grab a Snickers.

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/i/74745435/adding-lanes-to-i-south-of-uptown-could-take-until-or-later-ncdot-says-momentum-for-privately-run-toll-lanes

architect77

Quote from: CanesFan27 on October 02, 2022, 11:19:54 AM
Earlier this week, the Charlotte Ledger had a story about the possible extension of the I-77 Toll Lanes south to the South Carolina line.  Recently, Cintra, the company that built the toll lanes from Uptown Charlotte to Mooresville, submitted an unsolicited bid to construct and operate the toll lanes themselves.

Cintra says that if awarded a contract, they could have the toll lanes up and running by 2029. They would then operate the toll lanes on a 50-year lease.  NCDOT says it would be in 2029 that they could begin to acquire the right of way.  NCDOT also estimated it would take another 15 years to secure all the funding necessary to start construction.  Apparently, the state has rules on the available amount of money that can go to a specific project or corridor at one time.

This news led to major heartburn for local leaders, who conceded that on a road that currently averages 160,000 vehicles per day with traffic at or above capacity seven to 11 hours a day that something may need to be done sooner.  NCDOT predicts that by 2050 traffic will reach an average of 185,000 vehicles per day, and the highway at or beyond peak capacity 15-17 hours of the day.  I need to tell my kids that they better find another way to take their kids to Carowinds in 2040.

So the question is: Do local leaders want to risk the headaches of another contract with Cintra? Or do they sit and wait for NCDOT to hopefully start construction in 20-25 years - hope that the schedule stays on target - and then look for additional funding resources to improve or even hold the timeline.  It'll be worth watching; meanwhile, you may want to grab a Snickers.

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/i/74745435/adding-lanes-to-i-south-of-uptown-could-take-until-or-later-ncdot-says-momentum-for-privately-run-toll-lanes
I agree that I-77 is in dire need of expansion, but I also want everyone to remember a few other things:

1) The state tries to spread funding fairly across a state with a very dispersed population, and McCrory's revamp led to scoring for each proposed project so that funding goes to projects with the most benefit to the most citizens.

2) Charlotte now has the nicest, biggest, most concrete-paved, and most lit highways in the state. That NCDOT division chose I-485 as the priority over I-77 during the last 20 years.

3) Southern Wake County does have a lot of construction going on right now, but the rest of Raleigh and Northern Wake look dumpy and neglected. Unreadable overhead signs, trash and weeds line each exit ramp, it's a disgrace right now.

Trust me, Charlotte's interstates are looking good comparatively.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: architect77 on October 04, 2022, 07:31:45 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on October 02, 2022, 11:19:54 AM

I agree that I-77 is in dire need of expansion, but I also want everyone to remember a few other things:

1) The state tries to spread funding fairly across a state with a very dispersed population, and McCrory's revamp led to scoring for each proposed project so that funding goes to projects with the most benefit to the most citizens.

2) Charlotte now has the nicest, biggest, most concrete-paved, and most lit highways in the state. That NCDOT division chose I-485 as the priority over I-77 during the last 20 years.

3) Southern Wake County does have a lot of construction going on right now, but the rest of Raleigh and Northern Wake look dumpy and neglected. Unreadable overhead signs, trash and weeds line each exit ramp, it's a disgrace right now.

Trust me, Charlotte's interstates are looking good comparatively.

I can confirm this after traveling there last month.

fillup420

Surely NCDOT and Charlotte leadership learned from the last Cintra contract. There is a good reason NCDOT took over the operation of the I-77 toll lanes. Cintra completely botched the construction. The entire project ran over by about 5 years, with the cost greatly surpassing the original estimates. To have a look at Cintra's track record, see the Indiana Toll Road or Texas SH 130. It would be foolish to trust them with another project. I agree that I-77 south of downtown Charlotte needs extensive work, but Cintra is not the entity to do it.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: fillup420 on November 22, 2022, 07:12:26 PM
Surely NCDOT and Charlotte leadership learned from the last Cintra contract. There is a good reason NCDOT took over the operation of the I-77 toll lanes. Cintra completely botched the construction. The entire project ran over by about 5 years, with the cost greatly surpassing the original estimates. To have a look at Cintra's track record, see the Indiana Toll Road or Texas SH 130. It would be foolish to trust them with another project. I agree that I-77 south of downtown Charlotte needs extensive work, but Cintra is not the entity to do it.

Not sure where you heard NCDOT took over the operation of the I-77 toll lanes, they are still operated by Cintra. Also, NCDOT had already planned future lanes for I-77 south to South Carolina as toll lanes, its in the current STIP, just unfunded; what Cintra did was make an unsolicited bid that nobody appreciated.

ARMOURERERIC

Not just NC Dot that learns...McCrory 2016 loss was attributed to a 100,000 drop in votes from northern Mecklenburg  over anger with the first Cinta deal.  That won't happen again.

Henry

On last night's CBS Evening News, I caught a report about two employees of the network's affiliate (I believe one was a meteorologist) dying in a helicopter crash off I-77. This is such a tragic story, and their families are in my thoughts and prayers.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wdcrft63

Quote from: Henry on November 23, 2022, 10:14:03 AM
On last night's CBS Evening News, I caught a report about two employees of the network's affiliate (I believe one was a meteorologist) dying in a helicopter crash off I-77. This is such a tragic story, and their families are in my thoughts and prayers.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/22/us/charlotte-north-carolina-helicopter-crash
WBTV meteorologist Jason Myers. Pilot Chris Tayag, a genuine hero, was able to maneuver the copter so it didn't crash into the travel lanes.

WashuOtaku

I didn't notice this till last night, but there is a sign now for NC 84 east on Rea Road exit on I-485 (exit 59). I checked Google Streetview and it has been there at least since June 2022. That said, there are no signage on Rea Road identifying it as NC 84 nor does any mapping on NCDOT confirms it yet. Anyone have more information on this?

wriddle082

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 24, 2023, 09:03:55 AM
I didn't notice this till last night, but there is a sign now for NC 84 east on Rea Road exit on I-485 (exit 59). I checked Google Streetview and it has been there at least since June 2022. That said, there are no signage on Rea Road identifying it as NC 84 nor does any mapping on NCDOT confirms it yet. Anyone have more information on this?

Rea Rd is going to be extended to the current western terminus of NC 84 at NC 16 in Weddington.  Construction was going to start soon but I believe it's been pushed back a year or so.  Either way, the contractor performing the I-485 widening in the area jumped the gun by putting up these BGSs showing NC 84 running along Rea Rd.

74/171FAN

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 24, 2023, 09:12:12 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 24, 2023, 09:03:55 AM

Rea Rd is going to be extended to the current western terminus of NC 84 at NC 16 in Weddington.  Construction was going to start soon but I believe it's been pushed back a year or so.  Either way, the contractor performing the I-485 widening in the area jumped the gun by putting up these BGSs showing NC 84 running along Rea Rd.

Right now construction is expected to begin in 2028 according to the NCDOT Project website
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CanesFan27

Charlotte's got a lot......of bus lanes reopening on Independence Blvd.

Charlotte transit leaders approve additional funds to reopen bus lanes on Independence Boulevard The project is expected to cost $1.3 million and restore access for buses and emergency vehicles to lanes closed since 2017.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/independence-boulevard-bus-lanes/275-4deb1483-00e5-4a0f-af14-30ba700fa9dd?fbclid=IwAR3CnALw-3CO5zRemUDj8zmpe-ZO4Akf06VbtV1nPFAf6StE72mFzNo4SZI_aem_AcR0q4QyTTj7KCAmC8w7POw2AIl6-k7VuOZWWJayoZ19_2ucUCtQ1QVx-Uxu7D_0G9c&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Alex4897

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 27, 2023, 10:50:00 AM

Charlotte transit leaders approve additional funds to reopen bus lanes on Independence Boulevard The project is expected to cost $1.3 million and restore access for buses and emergency vehicles to lanes closed since 2017.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/independence-boulevard-bus-lanes/275-4deb1483-00e5-4a0f-af14-30ba700fa9dd?fbclid=IwAR3CnALw-3CO5zRemUDj8zmpe-ZO4Akf06VbtV1nPFAf6StE72mFzNo4SZI_aem_AcR0q4QyTTj7KCAmC8w7POw2AIl6-k7VuOZWWJayoZ19_2ucUCtQ1QVx-Uxu7D_0G9c&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

I'd imagine most of that money is going to go towards reconfiguring the western terminus of the lanes, since the rebuilt Hawthorne Lane overpass's center pier is smack in the middle of the EB bus lane. I remember driving by here a few times while I lived in the area and being baffled by the construction sequencing.

👉😎👉

CanesFan27

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 27, 2023, 11:12:09 AM

I'd imagine most of that money is going to go towards reconfiguring the western terminus of the lanes, since the rebuilt Hawthorne Lane overpass's center pier is smack in the middle of the EB bus lane. I remember driving by here a few times while I lived in the area and being baffled by the construction sequencing.

Wow, I never noticed that - great eye!

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 27, 2023, 11:12:09 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 27, 2023, 10:50:00 AM

That is exactly what the money is being used for. In 2017, the City of Charlotte rebuilt the Hawthorne Lane Bridge for streetcars and literally caused the problem below it. They had hopped that NCDOT was going to move forward quickly with a proposed conversion of the bus lanes to express lanes within a few years, thus the state paying for it. But that has been pushed out several times now, leaving miles of unused bus lanes to become a real issue for the city. So yea, after years of hoping NCDOT would cover their mess, they are finally going to fix it themselves... kicking and screaming the whole while doing it to.

This was a mess they created, it serves them right to finally fix it.

chays

When is the I-485 interchange with Weddington Rd supposed to be complete?

wriddle082

Quote from: chays on August 01, 2023, 04:04:52 PM
When is the I-485 interchange with Weddington Rd supposed to be complete?

My guess would be in about a year, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  The 485 widening/express HOT lanes project seems to be dragging on forever.

cowboy_wilhelm

The Charlotte Observer reports that "NC will spend $45M to speed up fix for one of state's 'most congested' interchanges" at I-485 and I-85 west of Charlotte.

"North Carolina House Speaker Tim Moore said he's allocating $45 million in House Contingency funds to accelerate the redesign of what he called one of the most congested interchanges in the state. The money will fund the design and construction of a revamped Interstate 85 and Interstate 485 interchange in western Mecklenburg County, near the Gaston County line and the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport With the money, the North Carolina Department of Transportation will start work on the project "no later than 2025," instead of waiting till at least 2033, said Moore[...]"

wriddle082

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on November 05, 2023, 10:27:28 AM
The Charlotte Observer reports that "NC will spend $45M to speed up fix for one of state's 'most congested' interchanges" at I-485 and I-85 west of Charlotte.

"North Carolina House Speaker Tim Moore said he's allocating $45 million in House Contingency funds to accelerate the redesign of what he called one of the most congested interchanges in the state. The money will fund the design and construction of a revamped Interstate 85 and Interstate 485 interchange in western Mecklenburg County, near the Gaston County line and the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport With the money, the North Carolina Department of Transportation will start work on the project "no later than 2025," instead of waiting till at least 2033, said Moore[...]"

Rebuild the Sam Wilson Rd overpass over I-85 to eliminate the piers on the outside shoulders (why the hell was it built this way in the first place?!?!), then make the merge from 485 to 85 south at least three lanes wide (possibly dropping the far right 85 south lane leading up to this merge).  Lose two of those lanes gradually, going DOWNHILL.  Add at least one lane to the Catawba River bridge.  And eventually this will tie into tge upcoming expansion of 85 from three to four lanes in each direction between Belmont and US 321 in Gastonia.

What I described above will fix the biggest bottleneck.  As for the merge from 85 to 485 outer loop, which is really only a morning bottleneck, I guess the merge lanes need to be extended out so far that the fifth lane drops at West Blvd and the fourth lane drops at Steele Creek Rd (NC 160).

Another big fix for this entire area would be another bridge over the Catawba River.  It doesn't even need to be a freeway.  Just extend West Blvd over to NC 273.  That would shift a good chunk of local traffic away.

ARMOURERERIC

I belive the 8 laning of I-85 from 273 to 321 goes out to bid within the year.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 06, 2023, 08:44:48 PM
I belive the 8 laning of I-85 from 273 to 321 goes out to bid within the year.

It was supposed to be let next June, but it looks like it just got delayed to November 2024 (project I-5719).

TO ALLOW ADDITIONAL TIME FOR PLANNING AND DESIGN, DELAY RIGHT-OF-WAY FROM FY 24 TO FY 25 AND CONSTRUCTION FROM FY 24 TO FY 25.

https://www.ncdot.gov/about-us/board-offices/boards/board-transportation/Documents/ItemN_Handout.pdf

wriddle082

Looks like the NC 73 corridor from Denver through Huntersville to Concord is finally going to get some much needed attention!

https://news.yahoo.com/600-million-superhighway-ease-charlotte-170808614.html?mibextid=9R9pXO

cowboy_wilhelm

It doesn't look like the project page is live yet, but there should be a public hearing coming up in February for the I-85/I-485 interchange improvements.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/Lists/ProjectsList/DispForm.aspx?ID=181

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on January 14, 2024, 12:01:30 PM
It doesn't look like the project page is live yet, but there should be a public hearing coming up in February for the I-85/I-485 interchange improvements.

The project page is now listed and maps are available. Interesting approach to maintain the existing Sam Wilson Rd. overpass.... I'm not sure how I feel about tying in the C/D lane to the ramp for the weigh station. Going to end up with some interesting weaves there. I still think they need to move the southbound weigh station to a less congested location and have the C/D lane continue as an auxiliary lane to Exit 27.

Map 1
Map 2

wriddle082

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on January 19, 2024, 08:45:24 AM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on January 14, 2024, 12:01:30 PM

The project page is now listed and maps are available. Interesting approach to maintain the existing Sam Wilson Rd. overpass.... I'm not sure how I feel about tying in the C/D lane to the ramp for the weigh station. Going to end up with some interesting weaves there. I still think they need to move the southbound weigh station to a less congested location and have the C/D lane continue as an auxiliary lane to Exit 27.

Map 1
Map 2

Yeah no doubt, they should maybe move it to across from the newer NB scales just before US 74 near Bessemer City.  And if they're worried about scale bypassing via US 321, they can put scales there too, or on I-40 west of Hickory.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.