News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeek Memes

Started by cl94, December 05, 2017, 12:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 08, 2022, 10:19:19 AM
I'm not sure where the roundabout hate comes from. I'd love to see more roundabouts in Illinois. I can think of several locations where they would be beneficial, one in particular in my head where there's already ample space to build one.

Illinois has struck me as one state that was very slow in adding roundabouts to its arsenal of intersection designs.  Maybe the town square in Benton scared them off.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kirbykart on November 08, 2022, 08:11:03 AM
^And Olean, NY. A few years ago now they installed 5 tiny ones on Union Street.

Wow! I hadn't seen that. I guess Olean is the new Malta.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2022, 10:43:34 AM
I'm not sure where the roundabout hate comes from. I'd love to see more roundabouts in Illinois. I can think of several locations where they would be beneficial, one in particular in my head where there's already ample space to build one.

Illinois has struck me as one state that was very slow in adding roundabouts to its arsenal of intersection designs.  Maybe the town square in Benton scared them off.

Illinois is very slow to add anything. Roundabouts, FYAs, DDIs, SPUIs, APLs, etc.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 08, 2022, 11:56:25 AM

Illinois is very slow to add anything. Roundabouts, FYAs, DDIs, SPUIs, APLs, etc.

The SPUI under I-57 at Marion was built in... what, 2013?  And the DDI immediately north of it shortly thereafter?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2022, 12:11:50 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 08, 2022, 11:56:25 AM

The SPUI under I-57 at Marion was built in... what, 2013?  And the DDI immediately north of it shortly thereafter?

We get some new things, but usually in very small doses. And even in reconstructions, the old configuration is put right back. No DDIs or SPUIs on the Tri-State. No D1 FYAs, even on brand-new signals. I can think of only 3 roundabouts near me, only 1 of which is IDOT.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kirbykart

^I wouldn't really say the Robert Moses Parkway divides Niagara Falls though, sort of ran along the edge and mostly doesn't exist in the city anymore.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kurumi on November 30, 2018, 09:39:12 PM
Here's one for New Haven, CT:

Just the kind of thing that makes me hate life.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

But, in that vein...

Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

We could make a thread about that one.

Now, a shoutout to all my homies in Lake County.

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 08, 2022, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: Big John on November 08, 2022, 10:01:27 AM
Add Wisconsin to the list. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5897933,-88.0472462,17z

I used to take this exit on my way home from work. If you zoom out, there are two more as you head west. So yeah, I would drive through five roundabounts in about one and a half miles.  It sounds ridiculous, but honestly they aren't difficult to manage or anything.

It's like WISDOT went gaga over roundabouts when they upgraded US 41 to interstate status. I had to go through this mess just a few miles south of Lineville when visiting my brother. I like roundabouts generally, but I got completely turned around trying to navigate this from NB I-41 to WB CTH RK in the rain after dark (that's six roundabouts in about a half mile). Fortunately, he moved to Albuquerque during the pandemic so I can drive to visit him again and I no longer need to navigate that mess.

kphoger

Quote from: skluth on November 14, 2022, 05:52:23 PM
I had to go through this mess just a few miles south of Lineville when visiting my brother. I like roundabouts generally, but I got completely turned around trying to navigate this from NB I-41 to WB CTH RK in the rain after dark (that's six roundabouts in about a half mile).

Honestly, I'd probably get turned around there without the roundabouts!
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: skluth on November 14, 2022, 05:52:23 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 08, 2022, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: Big John on November 08, 2022, 10:01:27 AM
Add Wisconsin to the list. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5897933,-88.0472462,17z

I used to take this exit on my way home from work. If you zoom out, there are two more as you head west. So yeah, I would drive through five roundabounts in about one and a half miles.  It sounds ridiculous, but honestly they aren't difficult to manage or anything.

It's like WISDOT went gaga over roundabouts when they upgraded US 41 to interstate status. I had to go through this mess just a few miles south of Lineville when visiting my brother. I like roundabouts generally, but I got completely turned around trying to navigate this from NB I-41 to WB CTH RK in the rain after dark (that's six roundabouts in about a half mile). Fortunately, he moved to Albuquerque during the pandemic so I can drive to visit him again and I no longer need to navigate that mess.

I think they have determined that they will no longer do three lane roundabouts due to people getting turned around there.

kphoger

I saw one on Facebook on Wednesday.  Be sure to read the post-it note.

That evening, I made sure to tell my friend about it at church.  He owns JEO Consulting Group.   :biggrin:

Male pronouns, please.

plain

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

flan

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hotdogPi

That's not how I see at all. A is before the bridge and B is after the bridge the same way that exit numbers do if they are increasing.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Saw this one come across Facebook the other day.

Male pronouns, please.

MultiMillionMiler

I guess that one is equivalent to just saying it's best to drive the highest number in whatever category over the speed limit you are going. Like 19 in the 10-20 over or 29 in the 20-30 over, without hitting the next category. But some states include the exact amount over in the fine formula such as $200 + $5 per mph over the limit, so that wouldn't always work.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 24, 2022, 12:13:20 AM

This might be the only time in history a pedestrian respected traffic laws.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.