News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What states use the blue pentagon shield for county roads?

Started by KCRoadFan, September 05, 2020, 11:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrose

In Illinois I've seen them around Rockford and South Beloit. I'm fairly certain Rockton Rd. is one.

thenetwork

Northern Ohio is predominantly square shields, but the further south you go (using US-224 West-to-East as a reference point) the more you'll see pentagons.

6a

Quote from: thenetwork on September 09, 2022, 09:44:43 PM
Northern Ohio is predominantly square shields, but the further south you go (using US-224 West-to-East as a reference point) the more you'll see pentagons.
I live in central Ohio, I can't think of any nearby counties that use pentagons. Most normally you'll see the designation on the blade, if at all:

A couple places have started using square shields, normally supplemented with the blade as well. Every now and then you'll find a unicorn:

SD Mapman

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 08, 2022, 11:33:07 PM
Yes. My mother lives outside of Rapid City on SD 44 and that's exactly how they're posted currently.
Yeah, even with the new signs that went up recently(example) they kept that design.

Off topic, but my grandma used to live off of Nemo Rd outside Rapid, small world!
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

ClassicHasClass

Very cool. Nemo Rd is a nice little drive. It was one of Dad's favourites before he died. She's over in Johnson Siding.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: mrose on September 09, 2022, 02:01:09 AM
In Illinois I've seen them around Rockford and South Beloit. I'm fairly certain Rockton Rd. is one.

Winnebago County, home of Rockton and Rockford, uses the pentagons. See my previous statement:

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 26, 2020, 10:01:30 AM
Illinois counties that use the blue pentagon include Winnebago, McHenry, Lake, DuPage, Kane (inconsistently), DeKalb (starting recently), Kendall (starting last year), Kankakee, Iroquois, Livingston, McLean, Logan, Macon, McDonough, Knox, Peoria, Woodford, LaSalle, Bureau, Rock Island (who uses letters instead of numbers like Wisconsin), Henry, St. Clair, Sangamon, Champaign, Vermilion, Piatt, Douglas, Coles, Edgar, Fayette, Effingham, Clinton, Christian, Cumberland, Mason, Menard and DeWitt.  See Bill Burmaster's page.

(Clay County uses the white square like some places in Minnesota.)
Edit: Forgot to mention Warren, and forgot to mention Cook (sporadically).

To add to my previous statement, a little birdy told me that Will County will start using the pentagons within the next year   :biggrin:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

froggie

I don't remember where offhand, but I'm pretty sure I've seen blue pentagons in at least one or two Illinois counties south of I-80.  And this was several years ago.

MoiraPrime

Quote from: froggie on September 05, 2020, 11:57:06 PM
Not all counties in Minnesota use the blue pentagon.  Some use the white square, while others use BOTH the blue pentagon and white square.

Louisiana is rare, but there are at least a couple parishes where I have seen blue pentagons.

There are a few counties in Mississippi where one will see the blue pentagon...namely those counties where the county decided to number their roads instead of name them.

Some counties number their roads but just use standard street signs for them. Specifically Jasper county. Neighboring Smith county uses the blue pentagon.

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 12, 2022, 09:26:19 AM
See my previous statement:

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 26, 2020, 10:01:30 AM
Illinois counties that use the blue pentagon include Winnebago, McHenry, Lake, DuPage, Kane (inconsistently), DeKalb (starting recently), Kendall (starting last year), Kankakee, Iroquois, Livingston, McLean, Logan, Macon, McDonough, Knox, Peoria, Woodford, LaSalle, Bureau, Rock Island (who uses letters instead of numbers like Wisconsin), Henry, St. Clair, Sangamon, Champaign, Vermilion, Piatt, Douglas, Coles, Edgar, Fayette, Effingham, Clinton, Christian, Cumberland, Mason, Menard and DeWitt.

Quote from: froggie on September 12, 2022, 08:08:21 PM
I don't remember where offhand, but I'm pretty sure I've seen blue pentagons in at least one or two Illinois counties south of I-80.  And this was several years ago.

Well, yeah, most of those counties are south of I-80.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

I don't think I have ever seen one in Georgia.  Anyone see one in Georgia?

US 89

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 16, 2022, 02:06:39 PM

I've never seen a pentagon shield - or for that matter, any standalone county route shield - in GA.

I know I've seen "CR xx" in small print on a street blade next to an apparenly more-used name, and maybe even a pentagon outline on a blade somewhere? Think that was in eastern GA somewhere. But no shields.

formulanone

Quote from: US 89 on September 16, 2022, 03:37:32 PM

I've never seen a pentagon shield - or for that matter, any standalone county route shield - in GA.

I know I've seen "CR xx" in small print on a street blade next to an apparenly more-used name, and maybe even a pentagon outline on a blade somewhere? Think that was in eastern GA somewhere. But no shields.

The only pentagon shields in Georgia are for the South Georgia Parkway along SR 520...

Avalanchez71

roadman65

I was surprised to find them in Northern California on I-5.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cjk374

LA DOTD uses the blue & yellow pentagon, even in parishes that don't use them or have never used them.

670 Tarbutton Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/iHPfd88iH122dxiB6

Compare the Google streetview sign to my avatar, which is that of a real Lincoln Parish route marker. Lincoln has not used route markers since the implementation of E-911 in the 90s. They now use blue street blades with no mention of former route numbers.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2022, 09:43:05 PM
Does LA county even post them?

US 89

Quote from: formulanone on September 16, 2022, 04:49:11 PM

The only pentagon shields in Georgia are for the South Georgia Parkway along SR 520...

You know what - I posted that on the 16th? I actually drove a bunch of 520 on the 18th, saw those shields, and immediately thought of this thread. Never got around to uploading my own photos...

formulanone

Quote from: US 89 on September 27, 2022, 12:49:11 AM
Quote from: formulanone on September 16, 2022, 04:49:11 PM

You know what - I posted that on the 16th? I actually drove a bunch of 520 on the 18th, saw those shields, and immediately thought of this thread. Never got around to uploading my own photos...

The shield design is a terrible use of negative space; there really should be something in the center, even if just "520".

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 26, 2022, 11:30:51 PM

In general? Absolutely, there are a number of them (I used to use part of LACo N5 as a shortcut around Lancaster-Palmdale when coming down CA 138) and they are overall decently signed.

If you mean from the Interstate, I don't recall seeing any for Los Angeles county off the top of my head, but county shields are often posted on freeway guide signage in many places (like SBCo 66 on I-40 in Needles, or SDCo S12 from I-15).

Avalanchez71

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 27, 2022, 11:59:05 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 26, 2022, 11:30:51 PM

In general? Absolutely, there are a number of them (I used to use part of LACo N5 as a shortcut around Lancaster-Palmdale when coming down CA 138) and they are overall decently signed.

If you mean from the Interstate, I don't recall seeing any for Los Angeles county off the top of my head, but county shields are often posted on freeway guide signage in many places (like SBCo 66 on I-40 in Needles, or SDCo S12 from I-15).
I don't remember seeing any county pentagon signs in LA County at all.

cahwyguy

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 27, 2022, 06:42:39 PM
I don't remember seeing any county pentagon signs in LA County at all.

I believe there are some on the canyon roads (N2 - Malibu Canyon and N9 - Kanan Dume). Certainly signed at the ends (PCH and 101). I recall signs off of Route 138 for N4 and one of the other Ns. Not sure how well N3 or N1 are signed. I think there are one or two for N7 down in PV. So they are signed.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Avalanchez71

What county is the best at signing with the blue pentagon per state?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.