News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where control cities used to be signed

Started by roadman65, April 17, 2023, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 24, 2023, 04:24:38 PM
Laramine is fine, Sidney absolutely not. Travelers not from the area will think that I-80 goes to Australia now.

1. Laramine doesn't even exist.
2. Sidney isn't even spelled the same way as the one in Australia. Or Nova Scotia, for that matter, which is accessible by road from that location.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on April 24, 2023, 04:30:36 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 24, 2023, 04:24:38 PM
Laramine is fine, Sidney absolutely not. Travelers not from the area will think that I-80 goes to Australia now.

1. Laramine doesn't even exist.
2. Sidney isn't even spelled the same way as the one in Australia. Or Nova Scotia, for that matter, which is accessible by road from that location.
You know what I meant, I made a spelling error. The Australia mention was a joke for how obscure that town is. Nobody knows Sidney and it isn't even a major junction.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Yeah, Sidney is an odd choice.  But Laramie is the fourth-largest city in the state.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

I said I was fine with Laramie. Big city for Wyoming standards, major University. I would prefer that Salt Lake City also be on the sign with Laramie but Laramie is alright as a choice.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

I think Sidney is an example of what Scott was talking about in the Limon/Hays/Salina/Topeka/KC discussions - it's one of a chain of regional centers with a lot of nothing inbetween. North Platte would be a better choice heading EB from Cheyenne, though.

Counterpoint to my thought, I-80 in NE is heavily trucked enough that most cities have some kind of overnight amenities except the absolute smallest towns.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Takumi

Quote from: OldDominion75 on April 21, 2023, 11:22:50 PM
In the Richmond area, “To Powhite Parkway” has been replaced by Charlottesville as a secondary control for the 288 beltway from I-95.
This makes sense since the “to Powhite Parkway” dated to before 288 was completed. There’s still a set of shields northbound that has a “TO VA 76” shield next to the 288 reassurance shield.

Also notably, it’s still signed as “TO Powhite Parkway” southbound. If you’re coming from north of there, it’s more logical to head to I-64 to go to Charlottesville instead of dropping all the way down to Chester.

What was Jeff Davis Hwy is now “Route 1” on BGSs. It’s weird because there’s already a U.S. 1 and 301 shield there with “Route 1” used as a control. How about “Richmond Hwy”?
Chesterfield decided to call the road “Route 1”. All the street blades were replaced with ones that say Route 1. Richmond Highway would make more sense, since several counties, and Richmond itself, also changed from JD to Richmond Highway. (Spotsylvania went with Patriot Highway, Stafford used Emancipation Highway, and Henrico and Hanover already used the respective names Brook Road and Washington Highway.) All of which are better than just “Route 1”.

I-295 will have to update signs for Fort Lee with Fort Gregg-Adams soon. There’s already been supplementary signs put up on 95 and 295(which I assume is temporary and will be taken down when the upcoming exit BGS is replaced).

Signs on VA 36 approaching the fort itself have greenout over the old names. The main gate (formerly Lee) is now called the Gregg Gate. I don’t know if any of the other gates had their names changed.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.