News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do Spur Routes Have Directions?

Started by Amaury, October 04, 2022, 01:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaury

Obviously, you are heading a direction, but in terms of signage, all I see is spur, such as here. So, for a regular route, using Washington State Route 503 as an example, per my link above, you would see "North 503" or "South 503." However, for the spur route, all I see on the signage is "Spur 503." I do not see "Spur North 503" or "Spur South 503." Only "spur."

So it would be incorrect to say "Washington State Route 20 Spur West"? I should just say "Washington State Route 20 Spur"? Hence my question in the subject: "Do spur routes have directions?" I guess this question could also apply to business routes since I don't see directions there, either, just the word business or loop and the number of the route, such as I-90.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Quillz

Interstate auxiliaries don't follow directionality. Auxiliaries in other state systems have their own rules. US route auxiliaries generally follow directionality and are often of equal importance to their parent.

Amaury

I wonder if that explains why Interstate 105, an auxiliary/spur route of Interstate 5 in Oregon is signed as west and east. Although that might be something different entirely.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

amroad17

Spur US 641 around the southwest of Benton, KY is posted with NORTH-SOUTH directional banners.

Georgia is loaded with state spur routes with directional banners.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Like all highways, there is a direction. Whether it's signed is up to the state.

A few Washington spur routes, like SR 105 Spur and SR 110 Spur, do get directional signs. Others like SR 109 Spur and SR 20 Spur (which really should be a full-fledged route) do not. There's not much rhyme or reason.

Quote from: Amaury on October 04, 2022, 03:53:00 AM
I wonder if that explains why Interstate 105, an auxiliary/spur route of Interstate 5 in Oregon is signed as west and east. Although that might be something different entirely.

It's an east-west route that is part of a longer east-west corridor. Nothing strange about it.

Amaury

Interstate 5 is a north and south route, though, and Interstate 105 is an auxiliary route of it, unless I'm missing something.

And oh, yeah. I remember the 105 spur directionality now, as I took a drive to Westport back in April.

Bruce

Quote from: Amaury on October 04, 2022, 04:36:03 AM
Interstate 5 is a north and south route, though, and Interstate 105 is an auxiliary route of it, unless I'm missing something.

That has no relevance in which direction the auxiliary route is signed.

Not all auxiliary routes are spur routes.

-- US 175 --

TX' state spur routes are signed with directional banners, while the much-rarer FM/RM spurs, as far as I've seen, don't seem to get much directional banner action.

Quillz

The general rule is:

Odd leading digit = spur (does not return to parent)
Even leading digit = loop (returns to parent)
Auxiliaries have never had to follow direction, even from the earliest interstate days.

I-405 in California is a "perfect" loop: begins at I-5 in Irvine, ends at I-5 in Sylmar. I-505 is a "perfect" spur: only meets its parent on one end. Of course, all of this works more like guidelines, and there are numerous violations and loose interpretations of what loops and spurs are.

Rothman

Quote from: Quillz on October 04, 2022, 06:07:17 AM
The general rule is:

Auxiliaries have never had to follow direction, even from the earliest interstate days.

I-405 in California is a "perfect" loop: begins at I-5 in Irvine, ends at I-5 in Sylmar. I-505 is a "perfect" spur: only meets its parent on one end. Of course, all of this works more like guidelines, and there are numerous violations and loose interpretations of what loops and spurs are.
I-485: Inner and Outer. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Quillz

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2022, 06:51:49 AM
The general rule is:

I think those came about much more recently. I'm not sure if they are a standard yet. Although they should be for beltways, they make a lot of sense. I think the Ohio beltway (275) still uses cardinal directions, all four of them.

kirbykart

Quote from: Quillz on October 04, 2022, 07:10:04 AM
The general rule is:

I think those came about much more recently. I'm not sure if they are a standard yet. Although they should be for beltways, they make a lot of sense. I think the Cincinnati/Covington beltway (275) still uses cardinal directions, all four of them.
Yes, and so does I-270 (Columbus Beltway).

froggie

The general rule is:

Has "Inner" and "Outer" really stuck with Charlotte residents though?  The only "Inner" and "Outer" I know of that has become a part of the local vernacular is DC.

achilles765

Quote from: kirbykart on October 04, 2022, 07:55:08 AM
Quote from: Quillz on October 04, 2022, 07:10:04 AM
The general rule is:

I think those came about much more recently. I'm not sure if they are a standard yet. Although they should be for beltways, they make a lot of sense. I think the Cincinnati/Covington beltway (275) still uses cardinal directions, all four of them.
Yes, and so does I-270 (Columbus Beltway).

In Texas loops use cardinal directions too. The same goes for state highways that form loops
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

1995hoo

When I saw this thread, I thought of this BGS in Maryland, which is (at present) the only sign for that route that uses the word "SPUR." Signs on Democracy Boulevard (the lone road having a full interchange with the spur) simply say "TO I-270 NORTH" or "TO I-495 SOUTH"; signs on the Beltway just use an I-270 shield with neither "SPUR" nor a direction.

I was on that road last weekend (September 24) in both directions going to and from Rockville, but the combination of heavy traffic and very aggressive drivers meant I didn't notice whether there are any reassurance shields, much less whether they have any directions posted or whether they just have the "TO" banners.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on October 04, 2022, 08:10:21 AM
The general rule is:

Has "Inner" and "Outer" really stuck with Charlotte residents though?  The only "Inner" and "Outer" I know of that has become a part of the local vernacular is DC.
And that has only been recently.  When I was living there 20+ years ago, you saw the little signs on the Beltway, but it hadn't entered the vernacular.  "You take the Beltway around to..." was common.

Don't get me started on the sillyness of calling the region the DMV, either... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Nebraska's spurs are well signed with directions.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2022, 08:44:58 AM
The general rule is:

And that has only been recently.  When I was living there 20+ years ago, you saw the little signs on the Beltway, but it hadn't entered the vernacular.  "You take the Beltway around to..." was common.

Don't get me started on the sillyness of calling the region the DMV, either... :D

The Beltway has never been signed with "INNER" and "OUTER" as "cardinal directions" the way North Carolina did once upon a time on the Beltline around Raleigh (it went over like a lead balloon with local residents) and evidently does now on the Charlotte Outerbelt. On the Beltway, the signs saying "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop" appear on the small reassurance-style signs that use a "Capital Beltway" logo–those terms do not appear on either the BGSs or with the reassurance shields (though a logo sign with the designation may sometimes appear next to a reassurance shield).

I've lived here since 1974 and the terms "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop" have been used by the radio traffic reporters for as long as I can remember. But I agree with Rothman that for the most part, most people don't use those terms in giving directions. I might do so, but I always give additional guidance as well because I know the signs don't use those terms and I don't want someone relying on information they won't see on a road sign.

Edited to add: Here's a picture of one, but this sign no longer exists and that spot now looks nothing like it does in that picture. In this Street View image, the blue SUV to the right is at roughly the point where this sign was. The nearest reassurance shield to there now is this neutered one a tenth of a mile to the south with no Capital Beltway logo sign.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2022, 10:18:52 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2022, 08:44:58 AM
The general rule is:

The Beltway has never been signed with "INNER" and "OUTER" as "cardinal directions" the way North Carolina did once upon a time on the Beltline around Raleigh (it went over like a lead balloon with local residents) and evidently does now on the Charlotte Outerbelt. On the Beltway, the signs saying "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop" appear on the small reassurance-style signs that use a "Capital Beltway" logo–those terms do not appear on either the BGSs or with the reassurance shields (though a logo sign with the designation may sometimes appear next to a reassurance shield).

I've lived here since 1974 and the terms "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop" have been used by the radio traffic reporters for as long as I can remember. But I agree with Rothman that for the most part, most people don't use those terms in giving directions. I might do so, but I always give additional guidance as well because I know the signs don't use those terms and I don't want someone relying on information they won't see on a road sign.

Edited to add: Here's a picture of one, but this sign no longer exists and that spot now looks nothing like it does in that picture. In this Street View image, the blue SUV to the right is at roughly the point where this sign was. The nearest reassurance shield to there now is this neutered one a tenth of a mile to the south with no Capital Beltway logo sign.

Right.  Your picture is of one of the little signs of which I spoke.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2022, 04:22:58 PM

Yeah, I knew what you meant, but in the context of the post you quoted that referred to "INNER" and "OUTER" as "cardinal directions," I figured some other people reading this thread might not.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2022, 04:25:44 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2022, 04:22:58 PM

Yeah, I knew what you meant, but in the context of the post you quoted that referred to "INNER" and "OUTER" as "cardinal directions," I figured some other people reading this thread might not.
High five, then.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.