JayhawkCO

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 27, 2022, 09:46:18 PM
Quote from: kalvado on October 27, 2022, 09:41:05 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2022, 12:58:42 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 26, 2022, 12:14:28 PM

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 26, 2022, 11:40:48 AM

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2022, 11:10:50 AM

Quote from: roadman65 on October 26, 2022, 08:30:43 AM
In the past State Lines were perfect mileage controls on mileage guides.

I don't think they were perfect.  They were pointless.  Hardly anyone's destination is the state line, unless there also happens to be a town there.

Bank robbers in the movies

Those seeking reproductive health care.

Are such facilities popping up outside of towns?  Maybe there are, I don't know, I don't keep up on that.
There are definitely stores located near the state line and seeking shoppers from across the line regardless of in-state town.
Alcohol, fireworks, marijuana, even gas - depending on legislative differences.

Sales Taxes.

Or lack thereof.

Road Hog

In DFW almost all locations allow at least beer and wine sales, and more and more localities are permitting liquor. I was shocked in 2018 to learn that the city of Wylie was completely dry – not even beer.

Urban Prairie Schooner

In the past State Lines were perfect mileage controls on mileage guides.  Not so much today, but sporadically some signs still use these points like this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52451380944/in/dateposted-public

US 11 and I-59 in Louisiana.

Any others that are still used?

In this instance, there are no more Louisiana communities or state highways to include as a control city/route, and the last exit (just before the state line) is a turnaround/boat ramp/road to an isolated gravel pit.

DOTD likes to use the route designation on the first line of an interstate mileage sign (second line is the next large city/main control point). With no route number, you have to improvise I guess. I have never seen a La. interstate mileage sign with less than 2 control points.

MASTERNC

DMS on I-95 in Maryland often use the Delaware State line as a travel time point north of the Susquehanna River.

Avalanchez71

Prior to 2000 Tennesseans were known to head for the border with Kentucky to purchase lottery tickets.  Nowadays they head to the border for bingo.

kphoger

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 01, 2022, 06:42:31 PM
Prior to 2000 Tennesseans were known to head for the border with Kentucky to purchase lottery tickets.  Nowadays they head to the border for bingo.

In towns?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bassoon1986

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on October 28, 2022, 09:39:42 PM
In the past State Lines were perfect mileage controls on mileage guides.  Not so much today, but sporadically some signs still use these points like this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52451380944/in/dateposted-public

US 11 and I-59 in Louisiana.

Any others that are still used?

In this instance, there are no more Louisiana communities or state highways to include as a control city/route, and the last exit (just before the state line) is a turnaround/boat ramp/road to an isolated gravel pit.

DOTD likes to use the route designation on the first line of an interstate mileage sign (second line is the next large city/main control point). With no route number, you have to improvise I guess. I have never seen a La. interstate mileage sign with less than 2 control points.
One of the only ones I can think of in Louisiana that do not show a numbered highway for the top line is I-20 west of exit 3. It shows Waskom and Dallas.

iPhone

Avalanchez71

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 06:47:22 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 01, 2022, 06:42:31 PM

In towns?
It looks like the parcel with the Gaming Hall is now annexed into the Town of Franklin, KY.  I didn't realize it was annexed into town.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.