News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: Voyager75 on July 25, 2022, 11:24:08 PM
AL-4 shields have been put up along 3rd Ave N in downtown B'Ham. Didn't know it split off from US-78 when it and US-11 go down 1st Ave N.

https://imgur.com/a/ogrlf5G

And for once not another GSV link, thank you for putting forth the effort to shoot it.

MoiraPrime

The SR 158 project (AKA the US 98 Semmes bypass) seems to be coming along pretty well. We might see completion of it by 2024... although a large part of it will only be 2 lanes. Regardless, the reduced amount of stop and go traffic and cross traffic should definitely be an improvement over the original alignment of bloody 98.

capt.ron

Quote from: MoiraPrime on August 03, 2022, 04:49:35 PM
The SR 158 project (AKA the US 98 Semmes bypass) seems to be coming along pretty well. We might see completion of it by 2024... although a large part of it will only be 2 lanes. Regardless, the reduced amount of stop and go traffic and cross traffic should definitely be an improvement over the original alignment of bloody 98.
I'm glad that ALDOT is finally moving forward on the US 98 realignment. Latest Google satellite imagery shows quite a bit of progress along the new corridor. Since there is so much traffic on that corridor (people heading to the beaches to Florida from points northwest / west from there), I'm surprised it has took ALDOT this long to upgrade 98. Mississippi has upgraded their section from Hattiesburg to just short of the state line for a good while now. 

razorback0308

Quote from: capt.ron on August 04, 2022, 04:53:31 PM
I'm glad that ALDOT is finally moving forward on the US 98 realignment. Latest Google satellite imagery shows quite a bit of progress along the new corridor. Since there is so much traffic on that corridor (people heading to the beaches to Florida from points northwest / west from there), I'm surprised it has took ALDOT this long to upgrade 98. Mississippi has upgraded their section from Hattiesburg to just short of the state line for a good while now.

As someone who lives in Arkansas and vacations every summer in either Gulf Shores or Destin, this is great news. I saw the progress at the Mississippi state line in early June and it appeared to be coming along nicely.

rcm195

Well it's all about politics, state politics. The state of Alabama does not want to help Mississippi when it comes to traveling to your beach destination. If you live in Arkansas for example, they want you coming down I-22 to Birmingham, then I-65 down to Baldwin County. It's just business and politics.  😊

MoiraPrime

Quote from: razorback0308 on August 05, 2022, 12:35:18 PM
Quote from: capt.ron on August 04, 2022, 04:53:31 PM

As someone who lives in Arkansas and vacations every summer in either Gulf Shores or Destin, this is great news. I saw the progress at the Mississippi state line in early June and it appeared to be coming along nicely.

The section you can see behind the clearing has actually been done for over a decade already. It's just been hidden all this time.

formulanone

Quote from: Alex on July 28, 2022, 11:46:52 PM
Quote from: Voyager75 on July 25, 2022, 11:24:08 PM
AL-4 shields have been put up along 3rd Ave N in downtown B'Ham. Didn't know it split off from US-78 when it and US-11 go down 1st Ave N.

https://imgur.com/a/ogrlf5G

And for once not another GSV link, thank you for putting forth the effort to shoot it.

Great find!

Here's a few more AL 4 shields from a quick jaunt through Birmingham...

I found one more in my archives; this photo is from 2014, in Jasper.

Charles2

So, the $64,000 question is, why is SR-4 now signed in downtown Birmingham, since ALDOT hardly ever signs "hidden" state routes?  Is this the foretelling of U.S. 78 being decommissioned in at least part of Alabama?

I-55

Quote from: Charles2 on August 12, 2022, 09:23:39 PM
So, the $64,000 question is, why is SR-4 now signed in downtown Birmingham, since ALDOT hardly ever signs "hidden" state routes?  Is this the foretelling of U.S. 78 being decommissioned in at least part of Alabama?

Depends on the $258+ million Lamar Ave project as to when US 78 is upgraded to I-22 between the TN/MS state line and Memphis (even then there's still a couple miles unplanned there). I think what will happen in reality is US 78 gets routed back on its original alignment through AL and MS where the road is still state maintained, effectively replacing AL 118 and MS 178. But, if that were to happen I think parts of that would've been done already.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Voyager75

https://gulfcoastmedia.com/stories/aldot-moves-forward-with-intracoastal-bridge-plans,130889

So I'm not sure how this new bridge will help traffic alleviation off AL-59. It will slightly improve times getting to Orange Brach and eliminate the toll. Until it goes to the coast (which it appears it won't) it's just a nice diversion. The foreign bridge company laughably offers to eliminate tolls for residents and "improve the span"  but no other bridges could be built over the Waterway for another 50 years! ALDOT told them to take a hike. If the new one is built I imagine the toll bridge will eventually be abandoned and/or torn down to expand The Wharf.

Still think a new bridge over Wolf Bay to connect AL-161 with the Barber Marina property and a new road to spur into the Beach Express is the way to go. I know that's super expensive however. As a resident on the Eastern Shore a expanded AL-181 going over Weeks Bay at Pelican Point and aligned over current CR-12 to AL-59 would be awesome but I know that's fictional beyond belief so forget I mentioned it.

Tom958

Quote from: Voyager75 on September 03, 2022, 11:35:34 PM
https://gulfcoastmedia.com/stories/aldot-moves-forward-with-intracoastal-bridge-plans,130889

So I'm not sure how this new bridge will help traffic alleviation off AL-59....

I'm not, either, since I have no idea where it is.  :hmmm:

Voyager75

I believe it's planned to go just west of the toll bridge. A new alignment will split off from the current road just south of the Shell gas station between CR4 and CR-8 and skirt the eastern edge of Jack Edwards Airport.

From ALDOT:

https://www.dot.state.al.us/projects/swregion/pdf/WaterwayBlvd/PublicHearingMap.pdf

https://www.dot.state.al.us/projects/swregion/WaterwayBlvd.html

asdfjkll

Quote from: Voyager75 on September 04, 2022, 10:58:39 PM
I believe it's planned to go just west of the toll bridge. A new alignment will split off from the current road just south of the Shell gas station between CR4 and CR-8 and skirt the eastern edge of Jack Edwards Airport.

From ALDOT:

https://www.dot.state.al.us/projects/swregion/pdf/WaterwayBlvd/PublicHearingMap.pdf

https://www.dot.state.al.us/projects/swregion/WaterwayBlvd.html
The new ICW bridge is on the September 30 letting, interesting enough the project prefix changed from "ST" to "RACR" which suggests that the funding source has now been changed to Rebuild Alabama - Congestion Relief funds. Hopefully this time it won't get withdrawn from the letting the day prior to bid opening again like it did last time.

MikeTheActuary

AL.com has a story that might be of interest:  "Inside Alabama's worst speed traps"

https://www.al.com/news/2022/09/inside-alabamas-worst-speed-traps.html

Voyager75

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 19, 2022, 11:37:21 AM
AL.com has a story that might be of interest:  "Inside Alabama's worst speed traps"

https://www.al.com/news/2022/09/inside-alabamas-worst-speed-traps.html

Part of me wants to think Hillsboro is Hazzard County in real life with only two cops employed. They sit along AL-20 putting fake speed limit signs up with some contraption like Rosco used to do. With modern day technology stick up a LED sign and change it on a whim with a iPhone as the car speeds by. Nice to see #4 and #6 are only a few miles east of my residence. I've literally never seen a cop car in my many drives through Silverhill unless it's was sitting at the station along AL-104 so I don't know how it's ranked that high. Summerdale is legit along AL-59 getting all the beach traffic coming through.

formulanone

Quote from: Voyager75 on September 20, 2022, 11:30:36 AMWith modern day technology stick up a LED sign and change it on a whim with a iPhone as the car speeds by.

This is my main fear with variable speed limits.

I can see where they're useful for non-regulatory speed limits due to changing conditions, but I haven't seen them (yet) in use throughout the state.

barcncpt44

ALDOT is about to start construction on that new bridge in Gulf Shores which is going to solve nothing about the traffic in Gulf Shores / Orange Beach, what a waste of taxpayer money.
https://www.al.com/news/2022/10/as-definitive-as-ive-seen-officials-signal-start-for-new-bridge-to-alabamas-beaches.html

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

Voyager75

Quote from: barcncpt44 on October 19, 2022, 09:22:22 PM
ALDOT is about to start construction on that new bridge in Gulf Shores which is going to solve nothing about the traffic in Gulf Shores / Orange Beach, what a waste of taxpayer money.
https://www.al.com/news/2022/10/as-definitive-as-ive-seen-officials-signal-start-for-new-bridge-to-alabamas-beaches.html

This is now more about eliminating the toll bridge and raising the middle finger to the foreign bridge owners/mayor of Orange Beach more than traffic alleviation me thinks. There's no way anyone will use the toll bridge once the free one is built only 1 mile west. No one's paying $2.75 just to get to The Wharf two minutes sooner which is all the toll bridge will be good for. The "third hurricane evacuation option"  is BS too since they dump into the same highway a mile north.

There will be the cheapskates that have always used AL-59 no matter what to get to Orange Beach that it will benefit. That's it.

Like I mentioned above, if this bridge is built the tolled one will probably be abandoned or just sit and rot and get 15 gullible cars a day to cross it. That or the foreign company sells over the rights to Orange Beach. Then hopefully the two cities can work together and make the southbound traffic use the new one and northbound traffic use the original so its a 4 lane facility on the Beach Express by default with a giant gap between the two.

froggie

I'm going to reiterate something I said a few months ago, in that what's needed most isn't another bridge but a more direct connection between any bridge and 182, but the state screwed the pooch on that by using BP oil spill money to build The Lodge.  The resulting lawsuit settlement prohibits the state or any local agency from building a more direct route through Gulf State Park...which coincidentally runs most of the distance between 59 and 161.

Voyager75

Quote from: froggie on October 21, 2022, 10:26:51 PM
I'm going to reiterate something I said a few months ago, in that what's needed most isn't another bridge but a more direct connection between any bridge and 182, but the state screwed the pooch on that by using BP oil spill money to build The Lodge.  The resulting lawsuit settlement prohibits the state or any local agency from building a more direct route through Gulf State Park...which coincidentally runs most of the distance between 59 and 161.

They also doubled down on that stupid decision when they shut down State Park Road 2 to vehicular traffic. Since the golf course is shut down now a small connector road between 2 and AL-180 could have been built through there before the settlement. The course struggled for years before it was officially closed so the state would have had a just reason. The north end of the connector would have tied right into the new bridge and the Beach Express would have its direct route to 182 with little disturbance to the area. This would have given the incredibly busy campground a easier way into it as well. The former/hidden AL-135 is not a serious cut through by any means with winding turns, speed bumps and a 26 mph (not a typo) limit.

barcncpt44

And now the toll bridge operators are suing ALDOT.  Yeah, there is no need for this new bridge, this is just 50+ million going down the drain that can be used elsewhere.  As I keep saying, ALDOT is the most corrupt DOT in the nation.
https://www.al.com/news/2022/10/lawsuit-alabama-transportation-director-abused-his-position-and-had-personal-vendetta-against-toll-bridge-operator.html

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

cbalducc

Quote from: Voyager75 on October 23, 2022, 10:38:40 AM
Quote from: froggie on October 21, 2022, 10:26:51 PM

They also doubled down on that stupid decision when they shut down State Park Road 2 to vehicular traffic. Since the golf course is shut down now a small connector road between 2 and AL-180 could have been built through there before the settlement. The course struggled for years before it was officially closed so the state would have had a just reason. The north end of the connector would have tied right into the new bridge and the Beach Express would have its direct route to 182 with little disturbance to the area. This would have given the incredibly busy campground a easier way into it as well. The former/hidden AL-135 is not a serious cut through by any means with winding turns, speed bumps and a 26 mph (not a typo) limit.
Was that to placate environmentalists or property owners?

HemiCRZ

I drove US 98 this morning early and noticed the project to bring SR-158 up to the MS line is going well. ALDOT has been working on the MS side from the end of the four-lane and has paved the eastbound lanes all the way up to the previously unused bridge, put up guardrails for the bridge approaches, and is getting ready to bring four lanes of traffic over to the new alignment. I'm not sure how far those four lanes will travel beyond the clearing before it drops back to two but I'm glad to see Alabama finally put the bridge to use. Of note, either MDOT or ALDOT has removed the two big yellow signs on the MS side that said "FOUR-LANE ENDS 1 MILE" .

Further down 98, it seems a paving project is underway between Wilmer and Semmes. Makes me wonder if they could've just used that money to pave two extra lanes on the new alignment.

Another thing I'm wondering is if ALDOT will apply to have the US 98 route designation moved to the new alignment when the full two-lane facility is constructed, or if they will elect to let it remain SR-158 until the full four lanes is built.
Interstate Highways that I've Driven On:
I-5, I-8, I-10, I-20, I-24, I-40, I-55, I-59, I-264, I-65, I-70, I-270, I-71, I-75, I-79, I-376, I-80, I-580, I-680, I-93, I-293

MoiraPrime

codyg1985

ALDOT has a project on its December 2022 letting to reconstruct and widen I-59 between I-459 and Chalkville Mountain Road in Trussville, outside of Birmingham. The entire pavement structure will be removed and replaced, which will necessitate long-term lane closures through some phases of the project.

The plans can be found here.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.