News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Improve64 Project

Started by Great Lakes Roads, August 09, 2022, 04:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Lakes Roads

https://improve64.com/

INDOT will be improving I-64 from the US 150 interchange to the Sherman-Milton Bridge and I-265 from the I-64 interchange to State Street in Floyd County.

Improvements include:

• Adding a lane each way on I-64 between US 150 and I-265 within the median
  • An additional exit lane from I-64 westbound to US 150 as well as lengthening the eastbound I-64 ramp from US 150
  • All ramps at the I-265 interchange will be widened to two lanes, and the ramp from eastbound I-64 to I-265 will be moved to the right by shifting I-64 eastbound traffic to the left
  • Adding an auxiliary lane in each direction on I-64 between the I-265 and the Cherry Street interchanges
  • Adding two lanes on I-265 eastbound from I-64 to State Street and one lane from State Street to Green Valley Road

Construction is expected to begin on this project sometime in winter 2024/2025, and it's expected to take about two years to complete.

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 09, 2022, 04:01:16 PM

INDOT will be improving I-64 from the US 150 interchange to the Sherman-Milton Bridge and I-265 from the I-64 interchange to State Street in Floyd County.

Improvements include:

• An additional exit lane from I-64 westbound to US 150 as well as lengthening the eastbound I-64 ramp from US 150
  • All ramps at the I-265 interchange will be widened to two lanes, and the ramp from eastbound I-64 to I-265 will be moved to the right by shifting I-64 eastbound traffic to the left
  • Adding an auxiliary lane in each direction on I-64 between the I-265 and the Cherry Street interchanges
  • Adding two lanes on I-265 eastbound from I-64 to State Street and one lane from State Street to Green Valley Road

Construction is expected to begin on this project sometime in winter 2024/2025, and it's expected to take about two years to complete.

I don't know much about this area, but I remember driving on 64 EB and traffic grinding to a halt at 265 up to the ohio river. seems like a good idea to fix this  :-D

Georgia Guardrail

I see they are reconfiguring the I-64/I-265 interchange.  I wonder if the new ramp from from I-64E to I-265 will be a flyover or flyunder?  I'm guessing also that I-64 WB will continue to go over I-265 and will just have a new bridge to get the extra lane?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 09, 2022, 04:04:28 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 09, 2022, 04:01:16 PM

Improvements include:

I don't know much about this area, but I remember driving on 64 EB and traffic grinding to a halt at 265 up to the ohio river. seems like a good idea to fix this  :-D

I lived in the area for 11 years. Lots of commuters from Floyd and Harrison counties to Louisville and Jeffersonville. This project will help a lot.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

WKDAVE

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on August 09, 2022, 06:04:17 PM
I see they are reconfiguring the I-64/I-265 interchange.  I wonder if the new ramp from from I-64E to I-265 will be a flyover or flyunder?  I'm guessing also that I-64 WB will continue to go over I-265 and will just have a new bridge to get the extra lane?

They are moving EB I-64 lanes to be "beside" WB I-64 lanes so it will be the same flyunder. In fact since EB I-64 ramp to I-265 is already 2 lanes I'm not sure anything about the ramp will change. Other than it will be a right side exit, instead of the current left side exit.

jnewkirk77

The ramp was only one lane the last time I was through there (a few months ago?). There's room for two, though.  There should also be plenty of room to just restripe EB 64 from 265 to Cherry for that extra lane.

What this means, though, is that Southern Indiana commuters are gonna have to deal with construction for what, five years in a row? Six? Or will there be a break between the current work and Improve 64?

The Ghostbuster

Just east of the Improve64 Project limits, on the double-decked Sherman Minton Bridge, Google Maps Street View shows roadwork being done on the bridge. What exactly are they doing on the bridge?

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 10, 2022, 12:14:20 PM
Just east of the Improve64 Project limits, on the double-decked Sherman Minton Bridge, Google Maps Street View shows roadwork being done on the bridge. What exactly are they doing on the bridge?

A massive bridge rehab and bridge painting project.

From the website: "The project includes replacement or refurbishment of all bridge decks, rehabilitation or replacement of structural steel elements and hanger cables, installation of new lighting, repairs to drainage and painting of the steel components."

https://shermanmintonrenewal.com/

Tom958

I don't understand why they wouldn't move the eastbound 64 mainline through the 265 interchange adjacent to the westbound and thus move both the exit to and the entrance from 265 to the right.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Tom958 on September 20, 2022, 05:32:33 AM
I don't understand why they wouldn't move the eastbound 64 mainline through the 265 interchange adjacent to the westbound and thus move both the exit to and the entrance from 265 to the right.

There's challenging terrain in that area. Changing more than you have to gets very complicated.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

that and massive high tension powelines. also tons of rock! probably cost too much to do.  :hmmm:

jnewkirk77

If I'm reading it right, that's what they're doing, I think. (???)

stevashe

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on September 20, 2022, 07:31:09 PM

If I'm reading it right, that's what they're doing, I think. (???)

The video on the main page of the website shows the exit being moved to the right side, but the entrance remaining on the left. Seems odd to only do it halfway like that...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.