Vox Populi, Vox Dei  :-)

instructions unclear, I put popcorn in my Magnavox and it deied
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 01, 2022, 07:54:49 PM
Quote from: kurumi on December 01, 2022, 12:25:05 PM

You fool, it was supposed to go in your Magnet Box.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2022, 07:56:47 PM

You fool, it was supposed to go in your Magnet Box.

But what about Vox Caprae?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

It's Latin.

Translation:  "Vox is popular.  Vox is God."  [1]
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Novus Out-of-Ordum Seclorum

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on December 01, 2022, 08:03:18 AM
The whole insurrection attempt (of Alanland, not real life!) really ruined the fun of the thread.
Agreed 110%!

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 01:54:29 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 01, 2022, 01:29:06 PM
It was turning into a slow chat thread, especially the second time around.

It's better when people built on the lore or asked questions. Or posted goats.
I tried building lore in the thread.
See above.  The fact that you can't understand why your whole thing was tedious, unfunny, and got the thread locked means that you don't understand Alanland.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 01, 2022, 04:48:49 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 04:32:11 PM
I'm actually running again for Grand Alan next year so look out

I'm still waiting to see what you do with your username when you turn 20.
As far as I'm concerned, he'll always be "the teen".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on December 01, 2022, 08:37:01 PM

Quote from: 1 on December 01, 2022, 08:03:18 AM
The whole insurrection attempt (of Alanland, not real life!) really ruined the fun of the thread.

Agreed 110%!

In my opinion, the thread lost its charm after the first 20 pages or so.  After that point, every post was basically either (a) a "does and does not" statement or (b) something about a goat–with hardly any humor more creative than those two tired, recycled schticks.  The post that Scott made when he reopened it was of high quality, but the thread ran aground shortly thereafter.

Quote from: vdeane on December 01, 2022, 08:37:01 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 01:54:29 PM

The fact that you can't understand why your whole thing was tedious, unfunny, and got the thread locked means that you don't understand Alanland.

Excellent adjectives:  tedious, unfunny.  Allow me to add obnoxious and excruciating to the list.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Poll is now tied 11-11. So we now have the true Alanland result!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 01, 2022, 10:09:09 PM
Poll is now tied 11-11. So we now have the true Alanland result!

I didn't vote.  But, if you consider my reply from earlier, you can see that my answer is basically "It should and it shouldn't".

Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 03:58:59 PM
It should only be unlocked to have history articles posted to it, then it should be quickly locked again.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

Those late ballots on the "No" side must have been smuggled in inside pizza boxes. I demand a recount. And maybe access to the voting machines and software.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Only if VA 28 is redesignated as I-366 and posted with a higher speed limit. Or am I getting my trolls mixed up?  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: hbelkins on December 02, 2022, 12:41:23 PM
Only if VA 28 is redesignated as I-366 and posted with a higher speed limit. Or am I getting my trolls mixed up?  :bigass:

That higher speed limit would be 85, and that one would be Ethan.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

Since the poll associated with this thread actually has a decent chance of finishing above 50%: does anything above 50% pass, or can admins veto it if it's under 2/3? (I voted no, by the way.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

I don't understand why "Yes and No" isn't an option.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

I'm suprised the vote is this close. The comments seem to be unanimously against unlocking it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 02:02:27 PM
I don't understand why "Yes and No" isn't an option.

Because it's going to tie, so "Yes and No" will win regardless of how anyone votes.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on December 02, 2022, 01:48:12 PM
Since the poll associated with this thread actually has a decent chance of finishing above 50%: does anything above 50% pass, or can admins veto it if it's under 2/3? (I voted no, by the way.)

Because our management is not as stupid as that of Twitter, admin decisions are not contingent on public polling.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

Goats and oblasts!

All I know about a thread that I will never again pollute my mind on.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Road Hog on December 02, 2022, 08:36:03 PM
Goats and oblasts!

All I know about a thread that I will never again pollute my mind on.
I actually haven't read most of that thread either.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 03, 2022, 03:27:45 AM

In order to be eligible to run for re-election for Grand Alan, you must and must not read the entirety of the sacred Alanland thread not just once but thrice, and never twice. In addition, you must be prepared for the impossible but likely scenario the Grand Alan may run for you. In that case, you are and are not permanently barred from running for Grand Alan ever again.

For the record, I voted "yes," but loosely. I certainly understand the arguments for keeping it closed, at least for now. I voted yes just to give Alanland a chance to prevail much more, but as others note the quality of the material is an important consideration for its lore and enjoyment. For this very reason, interestingly, to this day I think I still haven't posted anything to the thread IIRC (it was initially closed mere weeks or days before I joined the forum, but I never did in the time when it was reopened either), simply because I want to make sure I am fully prepared to make worthwhile contributions to the Alanland lore. But I have lurked and observed the thread many times, and do quite admire the giant of a lore it has become in this community, hence why I believe in its continued prevalence whenever deemed appropriate.  :D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 03, 2022, 07:37:59 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 03, 2022, 03:27:45 AM

In order to be eligible to run for re-election for Grand Alan, you must and must not read the entirety of the sacred Alanland thread not just once but thrice, and never twice. In addition, you must be prepared for the impossible but likely scenario the Grand Alan may run for you. In that case, you are and are not permanently barred from running for Grand Alan ever again.

For the record, I voted "yes," but loosely. I certainly understand the arguments for keeping it closed, at least for now. I voted yes just to give Alanland a chance to prevail much more, but as others note the quality of the material is an important consideration for its lore and enjoyment. For this very reason, interestingly, to this day I think I still haven't posted anything to the thread IIRC (it was initially closed mere weeks or days before I joined the forum, but I never did in the time when it was reopened either), simply because I want to make sure I am fully prepared to make worthwhile contributions to the Alanland lore. But I have lurked and observed the thread many times, and do quite admire the giant of a lore it has become in this community, hence why I believe in its continued prevalence whenever deemed appropriate.  :D
Maybe I should just run for the Alanland Senate instead.

Max Rockatansky

Now that the fell beast MMM has largely been muzzled is there is a need to resurrect the grand legacy of the Alan?

Halian

HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.