News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on May 10, 2017, 07:02:51 AM
I see the second one in the background (just above-right of the red van).  Where's the third?

It's about 1/3 of a mile behind the one in the above picture. That one adds a "1 MILE" notice on the I-94 West panel.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

Is there an END I-494/I-494 ENDS sign anywhere, or does this new sign layout omit that?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 10, 2017, 12:03:29 PM
Is there an END I-494/I-494 ENDS sign anywhere, or does this new sign layout omit that?

There's an END 494 - JCT 94/694 1 1/4 MILES sign posted on the Bass Lake Road overpass that's been there for as long as I can remember. There's not a new END shield or anything, unfortunately.

MNHighwayMan

Ah, okay. I couldn't remember if there was one previously, so I was just wondering if any old one remained or whether a new one was put in place. Thanks.

froggie

I don't recall there ever being an END sign at the Fish Lake Interchange before.  Just the advance sign that Patrick posted that's been there for decades.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2017, 10:25:26 AM
I don't recall there ever being an END sign at the Fish Lake Interchange before.  Just the advance sign that Patrick posted that's been there for decades.

This post confused me, because my name happens to be Patrick as well. What're the chances, you suppose? :biggrin:

froggie

Roadsguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 11, 2017, 02:30:55 PM
Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2017, 10:25:26 AM

This post confused me, because my name happens to be Patrick as well. What're the chances, you suppose? :biggrin:

And both with "HighwayMan" in your names, and both with Minnesota route shields... I too was briefly confused in glancing back up the thread.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Mdcastle

One truck to damage two bridges- the same truck hit the 82nd St bridge.

jakeroot

froggie

That stretch of I-35W opened in 1959...there were lower bridge clearance standards back then.

TheHighwayMan3561

I confirmed this morning that there is still one US 61 shield remaining in Lake County. It's on the MN 1 mileage sign leaving Ely. Appears that sign has yet to be replaced/patched since 1990 and not an error.

froggie

A Minneapolis associate of mine just sent me a photo of that sign...the photo's apparently been floating around the Facebooks.

TheHighwayMan3561

And may not be there much longer because some fuckhead has now reported it to MnDOT.

froggie

To be fair, that sign should have been replaced years ago.  Besides the likely age and condition of the sign, sign accuracy is more important to the driving public than some whiff of nostalgia for a few roadgeeks.

Though I'll be the first to agree that MnDOT should have just kept it as US 61 and included a "hidden concurrency" along I-35 much as what's done along I-94 with US 12 and US 52.  My Minneapolis associate said the same thing to me when he showed me the photo.

TheHighwayMan3561

I went to check out the MN 371 Nisswa/Pequot Lakes work. The Pequot Lakes bypass is now fully open along with the CR 11 interchange, but there's still a lot of remaining work on the Nisswa section. Overall it's a nice looking route.

MNHighwayMan

On my way back from Duluth and I must've briefly passed through a time warp back to 2007, because I saw this on SB I-35. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor:

Contractor error on a replacement sign?

Edit to replace hasty gas station upload with straightened and cropped version of picture.

froggie

Probably thought it was a replace-in-kind...

TheHighwayMan3561

I thought that sign had already been replaced once in the last few years...

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 21, 2017, 05:35:40 PM
I thought that sign had already been replaced once in the last few years...

I wouldn't doubt that they have. The other three signs are correct, just not that one.

Edit: The latest GSV for the spot shows a correct sign. I have to wonder how this came to be.

TheHighwayMan3561

The new MN 24 Mississippi River bridge in Clearwater will open tomorrow, a couple months ahead of schedule.

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/2017/08/16/clearwater-officials-celebrate-highway-24-bridge-opening/569601001/

As an amusing side note you can easily tell the MN 24 shield they used at the dedication ceremony was a patch job, making me wonder if there's a special "dedication shield" that gets reused at all sorts of dedication ceremonies in Minnesota  :sombrero:

MNHighwayMan

The MN-24 marker reminds me of a lot of patch jobs you'll see in use on detour signage and the like. (Except it's in way too good of condition to be one of those. :))

MNHighwayMan

Has anyone else noticed that MN-298 has been truncated to end at the Academy for the Blind? I was browsing the route in GSV and noticed this. The latest logpoint confirms that the academy loop is now the southern endpoint of the route, while the previous August 2014 version still lists the full route that ended at the prison fence.

Edit: I guess this is kind of old news, as I did some reading and found that legislation in 2013 amended the definition of LR 298 to end at the loop (LR 323).

froggie

Field-checked it when I was home last month and updated TM (and OpenStreetMap) with the results.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.