News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

MnDOT hasn't done its annual press release of 2022 projects yet (that will probably come in about a week or so), but the first major new 2022 project will kick off Monday on US 10 in Anoka, including extending the freeway northwest past Thurston/Cutters Grove and replacing the Rum River bridge. This is one of the most decrepit stretches of freeway in the metro and long overdue for upgrades.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy10-anoka/index.html
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 23, 2022, 08:38:18 PM
MnDOT hasn't done its annual press release of 2022 projects yet (that will probably come in about a week or so), but the first major new 2022 project will kick off Monday on US 10 in Anoka, including extending the freeway northwest past Thurston/Cutters Grove and replacing the Rum River bridge. This is one of the most decrepit stretches of freeway in the metro and long overdue for upgrades.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy10-anoka/index.html

I am 100% certain that new exit numbers will be added along that stretch in Anoka.

froggie

The single-lane traffic on 10 through Anoka this year is going to be painful.  VERY painful.

Trademark

Quote from: froggie on March 23, 2022, 11:58:43 PM
The single-lane traffic on 10 through Anoka this year is going to be painful.  VERY painful.

If only Northstar Commuter Rail wasn't a joke

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Trademark on March 24, 2022, 12:00:35 AM

Well, you can thank certain political persuasions in St. Paul for that. But hey, the upcoming Twins season will be an unrestricted 81-game slate to try to offset some of the costs... :/

jakeroot

Sharing this from the Double Permissive Left Turns thread, has anyone been to Elk River and seen the new signal at US-10 and Proctor Ave and may be able to comment on how it operates?

Quote from: jakeroot on March 24, 2022, 08:45:30 PM
Quote from: Hobart on March 24, 2022, 05:23:21 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 24, 2022, 02:00:22 PM
Quote from: Hobart on March 24, 2022, 12:03:43 AM
I found a third [double permissive left turn involving an option lane] in Elk River.

Could you indicate where? I glanced around but didn't see any specific locations with the option-lane double permissive left turn setup like the two just mentioned.

So, this is what happens when I don't proofread my own posts because I post too late at night.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3077572,-93.5774317,3a,75y,184.13h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skLHdqbvOPrTIFWd3Mw33dg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DkLHdqbvOPrTIFWd3Mw33dg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D182.91048%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Sorry for the runaround.

All good! Thanks for sharing that. No wonder I didn't spot it while browsing overhead, it was just installed and not shown on globe satellite view. Although it is shown on non-globe satellite view...note to self, turn off globe satellite mode when looking for most recent imagery!

In terms of the setup, it seems like there may be some path overlap. I'm curious when it's set to operate, I'm able to see GSV imagery showing it operating, but it's operating more as a split-phase intersection.

froggie

I highly doubt MnDOT is doing permissive left turns here.  Their modus operandi for signals that include option lanes is split-phase.  I was also under the impression that they were using 4-lens signals for protected-only (why complicate things by having 2 different types of left turn signals), so I'm curious as to why they used 3-lens LT signals on 10 at that intersection, while the intersection at Upland and points west all use 4-lens LT signals.

Papa Emeritus

While we're talking about US 169 in Elk River, MNDoT has announced they will be converting 169 to a full freeway through Elk River. Construction begins next month, and will last through 2024.

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/d3/elkriverfreeway/trafficplans.html

The freeway conversion is long overdue, but making the road one lane in each direction in the construction zones is going to be brutal, especially on Friday and Sunday afternoons when people are driving to / from their cabins.

froggie

169 becoming freeway through Elk River was announced a year or two ago when they got the funding finalized.  It'll be painful, but like with 10 through Anoka, it'll be necessary to get the finished product.  There's other routes that drivers can take up to the lake though...one nice thing about having a road network that at least has some semblance of a grid...

J N Winkler

This is just an aside, but I wish MnDOT would simply put the SP number somewhere on spotlight project pages.  It took clicking through four large PDFs to find one that had the SP for the US 169 Elk River improvement (7106-87).  (eDocs tells me that although there was a CMGC procurement in 2019, the construction phase was advertised separately, with bids opened last February 18.  As-awarded plans are not yet available.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: froggie on March 25, 2022, 10:47:39 AM
I highly doubt MnDOT is doing permissive left turns here.  Their modus operandi for signals that include option lanes is split-phase.  I was also under the impression that they were using 4-lens signals for protected-only (why complicate things by having 2 different types of left turn signals), so I'm curious as to why they used 3-lens LT signals on 10 at that intersection, while the intersection at Upland and points west all use 4-lens LT signals.

Minnesota definitely has option lane double left turns that use permissive phase, they are actually famous (in the traffic control world) for the exact setup they just installed at that Elk River intersection.

The first was in Eden Prairie, here at Valley View and Prairie Center, where Valley View turns and Prairie Center continues south. At least at the time of filming, the permissive mode operated only during off-peak hours. While it's possible that this intersection no longer operates in permissive mode, the brand new intersection in Elk River with the bimodal doghouse is of identical design, so Minnesota must still have some interest in this kind of setup.

https://youtu.be/onyZQcgkMOw

TheHighwayMan3561

All this makes me glad I moved out of Elk River. I used US 10 less often than I-94, but maybe one out of every 5 or 6 commutes to the metro took me down 10 through Anoka.

TheHighwayMan3561

MnDOT put out its annual spring press release today.

New projects include:
-the aforementioned US 10 new interchange construction, existing interchange improvements, and river bridge replacement in Anoka
-upgrading US 169 in Elk River to freeway between 10/101 and Sherburne CSAH 33 - this as far as I can tell will include eliminating the two left turns currently at the 10/169/101 interchange, so there will no longer be access from EB 10 to NB 169, or WB 10/169 to SB 101
-widening US 14 to four lanes from New Ulm to Nicollet, which next year will finally finish the four-lane link between Rochester and New Ulm
-widening the "North Gap" of MN 23 to four lanes between Richmond and the Paynesville bypass
-roundabout at south junction of US 61 and MN 316 south of Hastings
-RCI at west split of US 53 and MN 194 north of Duluth

Continuing projects
-I-35/535 Can of Worms in Duluth
-grade separating MN 29 and MN 55 in Glenwood
-rehabilitation of I-94 in downtown St. Paul
-US 52 between Zumbrota and Cannon Falls, with the centerpiece this year being a new interchange at MN 57
-rehabilitation of MN 65 Third Ave Bridge in downtown Minneapolis
-completion of new MN 36/Manning Ave interchange near Stillwater

News release: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/news/2022/03/31-construction.html
Full list of projects: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/construction/

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 31, 2022, 06:41:41 PM
-upgrading US 169 in Elk River to freeway between 10/101 and Sherburne CSAH 33 - this as far as I can tell will include eliminating the two left turns currently at the 10/169/101 interchange, so there will no longer be access from EB 10 to NB 169, or WB 10/169 to SB 101

Will still be a full access interchange.  What's happening is that, instead of left turns from 101/169, the left turns will be from 10 for the two movements you mention.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on April 01, 2022, 12:10:04 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 31, 2022, 06:41:41 PM

Will still be a full access interchange.  What's happening is that, instead of left turns from 101/169, the left turns will be from 10 for the two movements you mention.

Oh, I see where I missed those. Thank you. That sucks that it will likely mean at least one new EB-only stoplight on 10 for that WB-SB, maybe an additional mirror WB-only one for EB-NB. I would prefer they have no direct EB 10-NB 169 access at all, and just send that movement down Main St in Elk River since anyone making that transition is likely already doing that anyway.

In an ideal world, they probably could have done away with both EB 10-NB 169 and SB 169-WB 10 and made WB 10-SB 101 a loop ramp.

froggie

I believe MnDOT still has a long-term goal of a full freeway-to-freeway interchange there.  It's also possible that FHWA (given the use of Federal funding) may have frowned on removing existing access movements even though none of the routes is an Interstate, but I'm less certain on that one.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 24, 2022, 12:46:50 AM
Quote from: Trademark on March 24, 2022, 12:00:35 AM

Well, you can thank certain political persuasions in St. Paul for that. But hey, the upcoming Twins season will be an unrestricted 81-game slate to try to offset some of the costs... :/

Or maybe not.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/metro-transit-and-anoka-co-cite-costs-as-decision-to-halt-northstar-train-service-to-twins-games/89-4e9e64e2-5e50-4e67-b6b6-f73637bdc151

Papa Emeritus

Today's Strib says St Paul is planning to replace two bridges on Kellogg Boulevard, one at the east end of downtown and the other at the west end. The existing bridges will be demolished next year, with replacement bridges opening in 2025. Here's a link:

https://www.startribune.com/st-pauls-kellogg-blvd-bridges-need-140-million-in-rebuilds/600164218/

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Papa Emeritus on April 12, 2022, 08:03:27 AM
Today's Strib says St Paul is planning to replace two bridges on Kellogg Boulevard, one at the east end of downtown and the other at the west end. The existing bridges will be demolished next year, with replacement bridges opening in 2025. Here's a link:

https://www.startribune.com/st-pauls-kellogg-blvd-bridges-need-140-million-in-rebuilds/600164218/

For those who aren't familiar with St. Paul, these are impressive viaducts that unless you know where to look you wouldn't even really know you weren't on stable ground. The Science Museum parking ramp if I recall has some of the best views of the underside and supports - and Kellogg's road deck is a lot higher off the ground than you would think too.

The Ghostbuster

Was the former US 52 elevated viaduct paralleling N. 4th Street, between 2nd Ave. N. and Interstate 94 in Minneapolis ever to have been part of a downtown Minneapolis freeway? Perhaps connecting Interstate 94 with the former MN 122 SE Washington Ave. spur? Or is it like the Chicago spurs connecting Intestates 90/94 with W. Ohio St. and W. Ontario St., and the one connecting Interstates 55/90/94 with W. Cermak Rd.?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 13, 2022, 09:45:46 PM
Was the former US 52 elevated viaduct paralleling N. 4th Street, between 2nd Ave. N. and Interstate 94 in Minneapolis ever to have been part of a downtown Minneapolis freeway? Perhaps connecting Interstate 94 with the former MN 122 SE Washington Ave. spur? Or is it like the Chicago spurs connecting Intestates 90/94 with W. Ohio St. and W. Ontario St., and the one connecting Interstates 55/90/94 with W. Cermak Rd.?

No, those viaducts were related to the completion of I-394 (likely as the spiritual connections between 94 EB-394 EB and 394 WB-94 WB). The 4th St viaduct ramps have shot up to the top of the list of targets for removal in recent years due to the rejuvenation of the North Loop from the decaying industry the area largely was when the viaducts were built. And honestly, few people would miss them if they were torn down.

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 13, 2022, 10:09:59 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 13, 2022, 09:45:46 PM

No, those viaducts were related to the completion of I-394 (likely as the spiritual connections between 94 EB-394 EB and 394 WB-94 WB). The 4th St viaduct ramps have shot up to the top of the list of targets for removal in recent years due to the rejuvenation of the North Loop from the decaying industry the area largely was when the viaducts were built. And honestly, few people would miss them if they were torn down.

Actually, those viaducts are entirely unrelated to I-394 aside from having an entrance to one of the I-394 parking garages.  They were intended solely as a way for I-94 traffic to get into and out of downtown given how I-94 loops around to Lowry Hill to "bypass" downtown proper.

Papa Emeritus

Today's Star Tribune says MNDoT has thrown out their previous studies about how to improve Highway 252 through Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center, and will do a fresh set of studies:

https://www.startribune.com/mndot-back-to-square-one-with-redo-of-one-of-states-most-dangerous-roads/600165680/

The article goes on to say that although 252 has five of the state's most dangerous intersections, local community groups are concerned about potential changes to the route.

Personally, I think that, because 252 is a death trap, it should be converted to a full freeway. It's unfortunate that NIMBYs are delaying, and possibly preventing altogether, the needed improvements to the road....just as NIMBYs prevented the safety improvements to US 12 in the west metro that would have saved many lives.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Papa Emeritus on April 18, 2022, 09:15:20 AM
Today's Star Tribune says MNDoT has thrown out their previous studies about how to improve Highway 252 through Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center, and will do a fresh set of studies:

https://www.startribune.com/mndot-back-to-square-one-with-redo-of-one-of-states-most-dangerous-roads/600165680/

The article goes on to say that although 252 has five of the state's most dangerous intersections, local community groups are concerned about potential changes to the route.

Personally, I think that, because 252 is a death trap, it should be converted to a full freeway. It's unfortunate that NIMBYs are delaying, and possibly preventing altogether, the needed improvements to the road....just as NIMBYs prevented the safety improvements to US 12 in the west metro that would have saved many lives.

We had a conversation about 252 a year or two back that the current Brooklyn Center city government seems to be a lot more critical of a full freeway than the previous city administrations had been. I don't know if they had some kind of influence on this.

skluth

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 19, 2022, 03:21:25 PM
Quote from: Papa Emeritus on April 18, 2022, 09:15:20 AM

We had a conversation about 252 a year or two back that the current Brooklyn Center city government seems to be a lot more critical of a full freeway than the previous city administrations had been. I don't know if they had some kind of influence on this.

I did a little research on my own. I think I found much the same info as in the Star-Tribune article. I found this article on something called CC Media

HIGHWAY 252 FREEWAY CONVERSION PROJECT PUSHED BACK

The debate about converting Highway 252 into a freeway through Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center continues. The project which aims to reduce crashes has hit another speed bump that will push the finish line back once again.

Construction was supposed to start in 2023, but MnDOT, the Federal Highway Administration, and Hennepin County are going to conduct a more thorough environmental review, known as an environmental impact statement. The review means the project won't start until 2025.     

"Unfortunately the plans that they did have, had a lot of flaws in them and a lot of violations on the state's safety codes on how it has to be built,"  said Stephen Cooper, who is part of the 252 Safety Task Force. "We had no involvement in this, but apparently the state decided to push things back to do a better job of investigating how to build this right."

Rest of article linked at headline. But the third paragraph has the part I was interested in.

I had no idea who Mr Cooper is, so more research. The quote below is from his bio on the Task Force page, so here's probably a hint as to why.

My concerns about the changes to 252 are centered on making sure a safer, more beneficial, road for all of us in Brooklyn Center is created and that we do not lock in a dangerous road for decades to come. Up to now, Brooklyn Center needs have been largely ignored and safety has been de-prioritized so that millions of more cars per year can come down 252, that currently use I 35, 169 or other north-south routes. I have been focused on understanding the strengths and weaknesses of plans for 252 since 2013. Surprisingly, previous plans were proposed and voted on without an environmental impact statement nor disclosing the plans' failure to follow basic state and federal safety rules. It was only because of community involvement that these fatal weaknesses were revealed. We need a safer, community friendly and less polluting highway 252, not one that locks in the bad planning and execution of the existing road with intersections/interchanges too close together to be safe. To assist at assuring a better 252, the task force has put in thousands of hours learning what the safety rules are and what the risks are for not following them. We have met with virtually every major player involved in the reconstruction, and we have maintained transparency with the community including doing a survey of community attitudes and beliefs about 252 as well as having open meetings and frequent reports to members of the community. A thoughtfully designed 252 can be a great asset to Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park. A poorly designed one would waste hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars, harm the community and lock in those conditions for the next generation.

Yes, it does appear it's a NIMBY problem. I will have to say he does have a point. A freeway would effectively bisect their towns and cut off much of both towns from the Mississippi River. There is already a pedestrian bridge over 252 at 85th Av N. My guess is the locals want a lot of mitigation. Sound walls. Several pedestrian/bicycle crossings. Retaining transit stops after expressway conversion. Vegetation along the corridor for both beautification and to reduce pollution. Possibly even a short park/tunnel ala Phoenix I-10. It could simply be satisfying most of the community demands and MN 252 becomes a freeway to MN 610. There will always be some who are against any changes and may want the highway closed altogether, but it's a matter of satisfying the most of the community (including those in minority communities), not every whiny BANANA. 37% of those surveyed are in favor of the freeway according to their own survey. 48% want the speed limit at 55 mph.

I have the impression that as long as we ignore the extremists on both sides, the highway could be improved. The survey seems to emphasize safety as a critical issue. It's going to be tricky but people can learn to compromise. Just ignore the BANANAs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.