News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 14, 2022, 10:15:29 AM
SSO missed the Stadium Interchange on his map, too.
The informal name for the I-41/US 45/WI 145 split on the northwest side of Milwaukee is the "Granville Interchange".
I think we've come to call the I-41/US10/WI 441 junction the "Bridgeview Interchange."  But I'm not sure I've seen that outside of this community.
Those are the ones I can think of I've seen in common use on this board.

The Granville Interchange is named as such because until about 1960, it was in Granville Township (Milwaukee County), before it was subsequently annexed into the city of Milwaukee.

The Bridgeview Interchage is now the only one statewide that has an 'official' name.  Several yeas ago, the legislature decreed that it will be known as the 'Michael G. Ellis Memorial Interchange', named after a somewhat flamboyant late state senator from the area.  Yes, signs to that effect have been posted at it.

:spin:

Mike

skluth

Quote from: gr8daynegb on September 13, 2022, 02:41:54 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on September 12, 2022, 12:37:44 PM
Quote from: US 12 fan on September 12, 2022, 10:08:53 AM
There is going to be a meeting soon about the I-39-I-90-I-94 corridor from Madison to the Dells.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/sw/399094/studyintroduction.pdf

Some quick thoughts of mine here:

- Upgrade the current four lane part of I-90/94 to six lanes (ultimately all the way to their split at the Tomah interchange);
- Re-engineer the I-39 split (Cascade interchange) to better separate the local roads, including WI 78 to the southwest, from the freeways, also to eliminate the 'left' exit and entrance situations from the I-39 mainline lanes.
- Re-engineer the I-90/94/US 12 interchange at Lake Delton to better separate the local roads and their tourist access from the freeways and their overhead traffic, and;
- Upgrade the current six lane highway north of the Badger interchange to eight lanes(?).

Mike

"- Re-engineer the I-90/94/US 12 interchange at Lake Delton to better separate the local roads and their tourist access from the freeways and their overhead traffic, and;"

Would agree.  As it that interchange is right now surprised not more accidents than there already is.  Those driving into Lake Delton slow to getting speed in check and those going onto 12W from I90/94 Eastbound still need to make a turn onto 12 from a stopped position. Guessing a cloverleaf in the future but not truly sure that would fully solve the issue

A DDI would be as effective and a lot cheaper, especially if the cloverleaf includes C/D lanes so traffic coming off the cloverleafs don't slow down through traffic too much. A DDI also fits better into the current ROW. There's already one down by Janesville so WISDOT is familiar with them.

Big John

think we've come to call the I-41/US10/WI 441 junction the "Bridgeview Interchange."  But I'm not sure I've seen that outside of this community.
Locals have a derisive unofficial name of the "Polish Connection".

JREwing78

DDI would likely be WisDOT's choice at the I-90/94/US-12 interchange. It handles heavy turning traffic well, and serves to calm incoming traffic on US-12 before it enters the Dells.

WisDOT doesn't have a compelling need to completely rebuild the I-39/90/94/Hwy 78 interchange yet, even after 6-laning I-90/94. When WisDOT does proceed, however, the I-43 interchange example in Beloit would be a likely template. Hwy 78 would be forced off early at the Cascade Mountain Rd exit and routed under I-39 traffic navigating the interchange. A DDI would serve I-90/94 and Hwy 78 traffic while a flyover for the EBD I-90/94 -> NBD I-39 movement is built, the existing flyover for SBD I-39/ to EBD I-90/94 is rebuilt and realigned for full speed operation, and the NBD I-39 ramp from WBD I-90/94 is rebuilt to overpass the extended Hwy 78 east of the new DDI.

Anyone else think constructing an exit at Hwy 58 in Mauston would be worthwhile? Seems odd that it never got one.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 14, 2022, 07:00:54 PM
DDI would likely be WisDOT's choice at the I-90/94/US-12 interchange. It handles heavy turning traffic well, and serves to calm incoming traffic on US-12 before it enters the Dells.

WisDOT doesn't have a compelling need to completely rebuild the I-39/90/94/Hwy 78 interchange yet, even after 6-laning I-90/94. When WisDOT does proceed, however, the I-43 interchange example in Beloit would be a likely template. Hwy 78 would be forced off early at the Cascade Mountain Rd exit and routed under I-39 traffic navigating the interchange. A DDI would serve I-90/94 and Hwy 78 traffic while a flyover for the EBD I-90/94 -> NBD I-39 movement is built, the existing flyover for SBD I-39/ to EBD I-90/94 is rebuilt and realigned for full speed operation, and the NBD I-39 ramp from WBD I-90/94 is rebuilt to overpass the extended Hwy 78 east of the new DDI.

Anyone else think constructing an exit at Hwy 58 in Mauston would be worthwhile? Seems odd that it never got one.

Probably because it was a county highway until the mid 90s. But yeah I do think it should get an exit because to go north on WI-80 you either have to go into Mauston or go to the New Lisbon exit, both of which are out of the way.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 14, 2022, 08:06:53 PM

Probably because it was a county highway until the mid 90s. But yeah I do think it should get an exit because to go north on WI-80 you either have to go into Mauston or go to the New Lisbon exit, both of which are out of the way.

There's enough going on along the STH-58 corridor north of downtown to justify it too (car dealer, grocery store, etc.)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

peterj920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 14, 2022, 10:04:20 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 14, 2022, 08:06:53 PM

There's enough going on along the STH-58 corridor north of downtown to justify it too (car dealer, grocery store, etc.)

I think a 1/2 interchange would be great for Wis 58 with a westbound off ramp and eastbound on ramp. It's also a National Highway System route.

As part of that I-41 project a 1/2 interchange should have been proposed at Wrightstown Rd. County U is way out of the way for Wrightstown traffic heading to Appleton. Many people use Wis 96, County JJ, the east frontage road, and County J to get to I-41. A 1/2 interchange at Wrightstown Rd would stop that route from being used for the most part.

triplemultiplex

Current guidance from FHWA discourages new half interchanges on interstates outside of special circumstances, or so I've read on this forum over the years.

The Mauston location discussed is outside the scope of the current study, which ends a couple miles west of exit 85.  That being the said, the idea has merit.  It's far enough away from WI 82 to add a full access interchange; just need aux lanes between the two exits.

I wonder if it would be too much to ask from this project to have them construct bridges over Mirror Lake that don't look ugly as sin from the water.  After all, they'd for sure be replacing those bridges as they have an outdated, fracture critical design.  At the very least, color the concrete to resemble the sandstone in the gorge.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on September 14, 2022, 06:36:12 PM
think we've come to call the I-41/US10/WI 441 junction the "Bridgeview Interchange."  But I'm not sure I've seen that outside of this community.
Locals have a derisive unofficial name of the "Polish Connection".

That's not for the interchange, that local colloquial name is for the US 10/WI 441 BRIDGE over Little Lake Butte des Morts, it connects heavily Polish-settled Menasha with US (now 'I-') 41.

:nod:

Yes, I'm also a 'local'.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone know if STH 441 is still referred to as the Tri-County Expressway? Or is that name now obsolete?

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 15, 2022, 11:55:54 AM
Does anyone know if STH 441 is still referred to as the Tri-County Expressway? Or is that name now obsolete?

That old 'working' name has been pretty much obsolete ever since the first part (the Winnebago County part) opened to traffic in 1991.  The freeway has been referred to as 'Four Forty One' by pretty much all of the locals ever since.

Mike

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

JREwing78

Discussion from Madison.com (which may be paywalled):
Wisconsin DOT opens study of possible future I-39/90/94 construction from Madison to Dells area
https://madison.com/traffic/wisconsin-dot-opens-study-of-possible-future-i-39-90-94-construction-from-madison-to/article_05eb9c37-bede-56e6-a56f-25aba8a05c9d.html?utm_source=madison.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fnews-alert&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=23b09c1eb865031d0f60a1dc63cc71cd77fb9763

Apparently a major focus will be with dealing with flooding issues on the section north of the Wisconsin River bridge to the Dells, as well as alleviating congestion and replacing bridges and overpasses that are at end of life.

The Ghostbuster

8 lanes from US 12/18 to the Interstate 39/STH 78 interchange; 6 lanes through the Wisconsin Dells segment. All ramps at the Badger Interchange should be on the right-hand side. Those are the demands I would make. Fortunately the Wisconsin River Bridge Replacement project, which will be constructed first, will be wide enough to accommodate 8 lanes of traffic. I would also like Interstate 94 from Madison to Milwaukee to be a minimum of 3 lanes in each direction, but that would be another project.

hobsini2

Quote from: thspfc on September 12, 2022, 06:55:32 PM
I don't understand the desperation for a Badger Interchange rebuild. The left hand ramps are not ideal, but they're functional, they keep traffic flowing, and I haven't heard of many accidents at that interchange. If WISDOT was just building it now, of course they would use exclusively right hand ramps, but it's not necessary to rebuild it.

For me, new interchanges at Hanson Rd and Lien Rd would be preferable to a Badger rework. (But those interchanges won't happen.)

I agree with wanting expansion to 8 lanes between the Beltline and the I-39 split at Portage. Worth noting that it's already 8 lanes between 151 and the Badger, which is the busiest segment of that stretch.

And finally, 6 lanes from the I-39 split to at least US-12/Dells Pkwy. Eventually it should get to 6 all the way up to Tomah, but that first 15 miles will do for now.
I think Lien Rd would not be a good candidate. Hansen Rd is better but I would put one at Hoepker Rd instead because you already have a light at Hoepker & 51 and it's closer to the industrial area along Manufacturers Dr. The only reason I would chose Hansen Rd instead is because of the hospital. Now if Hansen was extended west to tie into Messerschmidt Rd to get to Hwy CV, then I would say Hansen should be the choice.

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 13, 2022, 07:24:21 PM
Ok, who names these interchanges?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1OB_DbgnRCz2h2iONS1tN4mokFXAgGEw&usp=sharing

Are there any other made-up named interchanges in this state?

And yes, that one in Chicago is still the Circle to me.

You missed the Richfield Interchange for the 41/45 split.

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Wis 58 could use a diamond interchange but it probably won't happen because Wis 82 is not too far and Mauston is not that big.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 17, 2022, 01:13:18 PM
8 lanes from US 12/18 to the Interstate 39/STH 78 interchange; 6 lanes through the Wisconsin Dells segment. All ramps at the Badger Interchange should be on the right-hand side. Those are the demands I would make. Fortunately the Wisconsin River Bridge Replacement project, which will be constructed first, will be wide enough to accommodate 8 lanes of traffic. I would also like Interstate 94 from Madison to Milwaukee to be a minimum of 3 lanes in each direction, but that would be another project.

I don't think it needs to be 8 lanes from Madison to Portage.  Right now I would think between the Beltline and WI-19 would be sufficient.

SSOWorld

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 18, 2022, 05:46:43 PM

I don't think it needs to be 8 lanes from Madison to Portage.  Right now I would think between the Beltline and WI-19 would be sufficient.
Do you drive north of Wis 19?  If you don't - you don't realize how busy this road is north of there!
Scott O.

Raise your what?

SSOWorld

Quote from: hobsini2 on September 18, 2022, 04:44:19 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 12, 2022, 06:55:32 PM
I don't understand the desperation for a Badger Interchange rebuild. The left hand ramps are not ideal, but they're functional, they keep traffic flowing, and I haven't heard of many accidents at that interchange. If WISDOT was just building it now, of course they would use exclusively right hand ramps, but it's not necessary to rebuild it.

For me, new interchanges at Hanson Rd and Lien Rd would be preferable to a Badger rework. (But those interchanges won't happen.)

I agree with wanting expansion to 8 lanes between the Beltline and the I-39 split at Portage. Worth noting that it's already 8 lanes between 151 and the Badger, which is the busiest segment of that stretch.

And finally, 6 lanes from the I-39 split to at least US-12/Dells Pkwy. Eventually it should get to 6 all the way up to Tomah, but that first 15 miles will do for now.
I think Lien Rd would not be a good candidate. Hansen Rd is better but I would put one at Hoepker Rd instead because you already have a light at Hoepker & 51 and it's closer to the industrial area along Manufacturers Dr. The only reason I would chose Hansen Rd instead is because of the hospital. Now if Hansen was extended west to tie into Messerschmidt Rd to get to Hwy CV, then I would say Hansen should be the choice.

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 13, 2022, 07:24:21 PM
Ok, who names these interchanges?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1OB_DbgnRCz2h2iONS1tN4mokFXAgGEw&usp=sharing

Are there any other made-up named interchanges in this state?

And yes, that one in Chicago is still the Circle to me.

You missed the Richfield Interchange for the 41/45 split.

It's just a Y - why name it for a nearby town?  This confirms that most of the Interchanges around this state have made-up names made by us rather than the populace (Government or media) - the ones that really count are those in Milwaukee (Zoo, Marquette, Mitchell, Hale, and Stadium) and the Badger and maybe the beltline.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 18, 2022, 08:01:50 PM

Do you drive north of Wis 19?  If you don't - you don't realize how busy this road is north of there!

I do.  Many times.  It's busy no doubt, but I don't think it's busy enough for four lanes.  Traffic is usually moving just fine outside of the major summer holiday weekends. I-41/94 is up around 98,000 vpd so four lanes made sense.  That's similar to the Madison area, but it drops off to less than 60,000 north of US-51.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 18, 2022, 09:25:01 PM

I do.  Many times.  It's busy no doubt, but I don't think it's busy enough for four lanes.  Traffic is usually moving just fine outside of the major summer holiday weekends. I-41/94 is up around 98,000 vpd so four lanes made sense.  That's similar to the Madison area, but it drops off to less than 60,000 north of US-51.
But 39/90/94 has more truck traffic than any other road in the state. Trucks are larger and slower, making the road more congested despite the AADT staying the same.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on September 19, 2022, 08:28:52 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 18, 2022, 09:25:01 PM

But 39/90/94 has more truck traffic than any other road in the state. Trucks are larger and slower, making the road more congested despite the AADT staying the same.

Sure. I still don't think it needs to be eight lanes.

JREwing78

If what they did around Janesville is any guide, WisDOT will likely use the 20-year traffic projections to justify 8-laning. Even if the daily volume is a little light, the weekend traffic levels are definitely there.

Given that it's likely to be 10 years or more before major construction happens, they'll be looking at 2060 traffic levels as a guide. Could traffic grow by 50% in that time? Certainly, especially as Dane County continues it's growth pace (561,000 residents at the 2020 Census, an increase of 125,000 residents since 2000).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.